Featured Barrel ID suggestions for aeg

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by empoison, Jan 7, 2022.

1. empoison

empoison New Member

lasvegas
    So I currently im waiting to upgrade my barrel to the best possible id barrel for range and accuracy for my aeg .my current stock barrel i belive is a 6.05 brass and seems like every few shots one or 2 bbs in simi will just totally fly off in random directions.i have cleaned the barrel and it still seems to have the issue,and the range of my gun compared to others just seems lack luster at best .i also have a 70degree maple leaf my gun shoots very consistent fps with in 1-2 fps variation shooting 25s at 380fps .i also have a Maxx hop unit on the way for R-hop.sorry if this question has been asked a bunch but just seems like every place I look online give different answers as far as articles go.

2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Fliers are common and not caused by the barrel.

What bb are you using? Maker and Weight?

Which ML packing/rubber/bucking are you using?

3. empoison

empoison New Member

lasvegas
    So I know fliers are common it just seems like if I shoot say 10 bbs in a row that at least 6 of them are flyers and the other 4 are lazor straight.as for bucking i have a 70 degree maple leaf bucking.bbs im using .25 krytac polished bbs.

4. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    70 Degree maple Leaf Packing/Rubber/Bucking is not enough Details.

That is like saying I drive a 2017 Ford. What kind of Ford? F150, Explorer, Ranger, Fiesta, Escape...etc. See how additional model details would be helpful?

Inspect the crown of your barrel for flashing or burrs.

What did you clean your barrel with, have you ever cleaned your barrel?

5. empoison

empoison New Member

lasvegas
    Maple Leaf AST Macaron
    Cleaned it with just a dry barrel cleaner patch.and I clean it after each day of play.

6. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    That's not a good sign. There were many Monsters that were repacked and sold as Macarons to get rid of old stock.

Dry patches don't help if you have a grease spot in the barrel. Which can come from the mechbox.

Wet swab with a solvent on a patch and then dry patch it and try again.

And by fliers, is it all over or consistently one direction?

7. empoison

empoison New Member

lasvegas
    Whats a
    good solvsnt?solvent? A de-greasing solvent?oh really?....what would be a good replacement for the bucking that way I can make sure i have a good one and im not using old stock re packed?and is the 6.05 inner a good size or would you go smaller?

8. Ben3721

Ben3721 Well-Known Member

Fliers in my experience are caused by a few different things.
    First clean the barrel, tighter bores must be cleaned more often or they are less accurate by far. Lube from gearboxes, dirt, and steel dust always works its way into the barrel/packing. Clean the barrel and out outside the gun so that your also cleaning the packing while it's set.

If it happens often in the same direction its typically the barrel has a bent, bad crown, sharp window or scratch/chip.

If its downwards randomly, with some jams, packing lip folding.

If its all to one side, then the hop needs tuned to be level.

If it flips side to side by an extreme then it's the nub being too narrow or a rough/rippled barrel.

If its just randomly happening, it's your ammo.

Cut the bb in half and check for air bubbles.

A 6.05 is basically ideal for a brass stock barrel, but it can have issues mentioned above.
    A nice 6.03 stainless is what I prefer for aegs. Laylax EG is my favorite.

A lapped 6.02 or 6.01 is also good, but they need to be cleaned a lot. Do not go for any 6.00 or any coated barrels.

9. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Any grease cutting solvent will work from foaming bio friendly gun barrel cleaners to alcohol and windex...

As for the packing you have to know what you are looking at...

Here is a Super Macaron

[​IMG]

If yours doesn't look like this. You have a Monster/Macaron

10. empoison

empoison New Member

lasvegas
    Yahh...mine looks nothing like that lol

11. Ben3721

Ben3721 Well-Known Member

I honestly use a piece of dry thin cloth on a cleaning rod, enough that it drags hard enough to strip everything out. I've only used them soaked in alcohol a few times for really bad barrels.

Cheap bio bbs really mess up a barrel to the point you really have to fight to clean the bore.

12. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Granted that is an inside out picture.

Macaron was a "scam" packing/rubber/bucking...taking old stock and reselling it as something "new".

Here is an image of it under normal view.

[​IMG]