Barrel Length Confusion?!?

Discussion in 'Gas Powered Guns' started by CrimsonWolfAirsoft, Dec 6, 2012.

1. CrimsonWolfAirsoft

CrimsonWolfAirsoft New Member

Hello. I've been playing airsoft for a few years now, but I still do not fully understand how to modify some parts of my gun. I just recently bought an amazing gun, the KWA PTR LM4. It is a truly amazing gun. However, I want to take off the handguard and make it look like the gun in the picture attached to this. I would do it if I knew what lengths to get. The gun is built to mil spec. What length rail system do I get to achieve the gun in the picture. Would I have to get a new outer barrel? If I got a new outer barrel, what length do I get the inner barrel? Modifying is pretty new to me so I'm just a bit confused

Attached Files:

2. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor

3. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    That particular gun has a 10.5" outer barrel and a 9.5" Daniel Defense II RIS. You could achieve a similar look with a 14.5" barrel (what you gun probably has already) and a 12" DDII rail. Pictures to explain:

This AR has a 10.5" barrel:

[​IMG]

This AR has a 14.5" barrel:

[​IMG]

Otherwise, they're identical (well, the stocks are different, but we're looking at the front end).

This gun is the exact same gun as in my first picture (aside from some furniture) with the 10.5" barrel, but with the 9.5" DDII rail:

[​IMG]

And this gun is the exact same gun as in my second pictures with the 14.5" barrel, but with a 12.5" DDII rail:

[​IMG]

You can combine the 14.5" barrel with the 9.5" DDII rail, but it looks kind of ridiculous and you wouldn't really see that on a real rifle. Those are your two main options here. The picture you've linked is a 10.5" barrel and a 9.5" rail, which is very popular right now because it's essentially what SEALs and some other SOF units are running.

As for barrel length, for an AEG hop up the 14.5" outer barrel takes a 363mm inner barrel and the 10.5" outer barrel takes something like a 280mm inner barrel. Those measurements might change a bit for the different hop up, I don't know for sure, but they'll be in the ball park.

4. CrimsonWolfAirsoft

CrimsonWolfAirsoft New Member

Thanks guys. This helped a lot.

5. JakeBworth

JakeBworth New Member

Hoboville
    I think there is nothing sexier than a setup where the RIS extends the entire length of the outer barrel and is immediately next to a suppressor.