Basic ACU Loadout

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by BaghdadRecon, Nov 30, 2012.

1. BaghdadRecon

BaghdadRecon New Member

Greenville
    Hey guys! I already have a WW2 loadout, but it can be too much at times. When I go out with my friends, I need a simple, lightweight loadout. I already have some ACU/UCP gear. Here is what the completed loadout would have:

-Issued ACU pants
    -Issued desert combat boots
    -Issued Molle 2 vest
    -eagle industries leg holster
    -either white t-shirt, or ACS
    -MICH 2000
    -GBBR M4
    -GBBP M9

What needs to improve?

2. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    That "MOLLE 2" vest is an FLC and not designed to be worn on its own. It's meant to be worn over an OTV or similar carrier to add webbing and give the soldier an option to drop some weight from his load while maintaining the protection of his carrier. You wouldn't want to wear it on its own, it'll sag like crazy and look ridiculous. You'd be much better off with a plate carrier like a CIRAS or EPC in khaki from FLYYE or Pantac. For instance:

Khaki CIRAS with ACU:

[​IMG]

Another:

[​IMG]

Real guys doing it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Something about the way the big guy in front is looking at his rocket makes me not trust him, but his kit looks good:

[​IMG]

Couple group shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Honestly, just ID a bunch of stuff from these kids and slap it together. It'll look very very nice.

[edit] For clarity, those first two are airsoft, the rest should be real.

3. BaghdadRecon

BaghdadRecon New Member

Greenville
    Yeah, I know the "FLC" (fighting load carrier) is meant to be worn on top of a ballistic vest. Such as an "OTV" (outer tactical vest), or
    "IOTV" (improved outer tactical vest). Though, as I titled the thread "BASIC ACU Loadout, I am not willing to pay $400 for a plate carrier. It is just a loadout for run around skirmish with my friends (not team). I don't mean to be rude Knief, but I know my research, and am simply looking for a light, simple wear.

4. Grin

Grin New Member Lifetime Supporter

Irvine
    He never suggested you pay $400 for a plate carrier. He told you to go look up Flyye and Pantac, which hardly cost $400.

He suggested two separate, good rigs. Both of which, by the way, are leaps and bounds better than wearing a FLC incorrectly. If you are not willing to look into a plate carrier, perhaps a chest rig such as a 1961A or RRV would better suit your tastes. Both of those are ALSO in the $100 range and reproductions are made by Flyye and Pantac..

And just as a sidenote, you're coming off as a grade-A prick. He tried to be helpful, and is well-known for being helpful on this site, and you immediately start talking down to him. Just because you know what stuff means does not mean you have done your research thoroughly, as suggested by your saying that a Flyye/Pantac CIRAS would run you $400.

5. BaghdadRecon

BaghdadRecon New Member

Greenville
    I'm not trying to be a prick, it's just in the title saying and description saying basic, and simple. As I said I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm not playing Milsim. I have payed at least $1400 on my WW2 uniform, and just want a half descent thing to wear, you know. Everything I have to this point is Military issue. So if I wanted a plate carrier, I would be looking at the real deal. I know he was only trying to help, he just acted like I had no idea what I was talking about. But again, it is only a simple uniform to wear with my buddies at my local field.

PS, I don't really like chest rigs.

6. Grin

Irvine
    Would you like to see a non-simple suggestion?
    inm4.jpg
    Replicate this SEAL's kit exactly.

What Knief gave you was a very simple suggestion, you are just making it complicated.

Okay... If you don't like chest rigs, then you're looking at a plate carrier. Also, you're only looking at RS gear. So, in other words, you want us to show you cheap, semi-decent quality Mil gear. That's not happening because you're not going to find that.

7. BaghdadRecon

BaghdadRecon New Member

Greenville
    That is kind of why I said no to the plate carrier, remember...

8. Grin

Irvine
    Well, you're asking us for something that's impossible to give you. That's my point. You're asking us for cheap, quality Mil gear that you could use. What I'm saying is that it does not exist. You say no to chest rigs, which would be much cheaper, and you say no to plate carriers. There isn't much left, man.

9. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Anybody who wants to wear an FLC as a stand alone load bearing vest doesn't know what he's talking about, it's that simple. Your experience as a WWII collector means absolutely squat when you're looking at modern gear. I've spent years researching modern American kits and I don't know the first thing about a decent WWII kit. It goes both ways. You know the names of things and that's great, it's the first step. But if you don't understand the functionality of a piece, then you know just enough to get yourself into trouble, like ending up with an FLC just.

You want real gear, and that's awesome. You can get it cheap if you scrounge. I've seen real EPCs go for $140. I just bought a brand new Mayflower APC for $190 from skdtac.com. You can get an AWS OCPC for $160 from www.deploymentgear.com. Those are all great options for a reasonable price. You won't find anything usable for less, as far as real gear goes, unless you find a ridiculous steal.

If you want to wear an FLC, we can't stop you from making that mistake. Hell, I've got one in woodland that I'll seel you for half price. But you're deluding yourself if you think using an FLC is somehow better than a FLYYE plate carrier because it's "issue." It's simply not functional as you want to use it.

10. BaghdadRecon

BaghdadRecon New Member

Greenville
    Thank you for all your help, knief. I'm sorry if you thought I was Putting you down in any way. I did do a brief research on modern kits before I went into WW2. Just to get that straight, I do have an understanding of modern gear, trust me. I have an ACU FLC from the past. I also have the other issue gear I mentioned. The only real thing I don't have is the MICH 2000. I know that a FLC has nothing on an IOTV, but if I'm only wearing the modern uniform maybe 5 times a year, I don't think I should put down that much money. Do you get my reasoning? I mean, I already have the weapons, and I can run around in tighty whities if you think that would look better than a stand-alone FLC. I would just be saving money since I already have the FLC, and mag pouches.

11. McGee

McGee New Member

San Francisco
    Put the pouches on a belt and call it good.

12. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Tighty whities would probably be an improvement on a standalone FLC, yes. At least one soldier grabbed his PC before his pants.

[​IMG]

It's not that an FLC is better or worse than an IOTV, it's that it's a completely different type of gear. What you're doing is like wearing a sock and pretending its a shoe. Sure, it goes on your foot, but it serves a completely different function than a shoe, and won't give you better traction or protect your foot from the rough ground.

If you want a proper load bearing vest, you're going to have to go buy a proper load bearing vest. If you want something saggy and floppy that happens to hold pouches and that doesn't cost you anything, use the FLC. But posting a thread asking for gear advice and then getting pissed about the advice you get is ridiculous. Either don't ask, or don't complain if you don't like what you hear.

13. BaghdadRecon

BaghdadRecon New Member

Greenville
    But wasn't the FLC specifically issued for load bearing? Nevermind, just disregard that question. It's not that I want to argue, and complain, it's just that I'm trying to stress my low budget. I will TRY to get a better vest. I just am not trying to be the big uniform junkie around my friends (who don't wear any mil-gear).

But it is not only the carrier I am wearing. I also have other items in the list of the uniform. Why don't you check some of the other stuff out. :)

14. Scout_Master

Scout_Master New Member

Gastonia
    Honestly, yes the FLC if not worn properly is floppy, uncomfortable and has less carrying space than a plate carrier. However, if you are going for the most basic of load outs, magazine pouches, grenade pouches, canteen pouches, a butt pouch and maybe an admin pouch (if using a shingle magazine pouch) can be put on the FLC and carried with out too much trouble assuming you have fit the FLC to you. The trick is adjusting the FLC to you with the adjustor belt and the straps in the back. You should use a buddy to make this happen as it is most effective, and lastly you will want to tape the straps in the back down and not use the elastic bands. This knowledge comes from 4 years of OCS training in which we did not use the IOTV or any kind of plate carrier, only the FLC. As with any gear, if used and maintained properly and used for the intended mission it is effective (assuming it isnt crap)

15. BaghdadRecon

BaghdadRecon New Member

Greenville
    Yes, I have it fitted properly. But you hit the nail on the head, its real purpose is to carry magazine pouches, and other wear (IFAK, canteen, GP). Thank you for understanding you dont need a $200 plate carrier to get the job done.

16. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz New Member

Sioux City
    Baghdad. Lay off of the attitude, Knief is trying to help you. He is not here to personally insult your intelligence or upbringing. He is laying down simple facts the pertain to your gear on the hope that you will take them into consideration. Just to summarize.

You have all standard issue gear including a FLC- good for you

The FLC is NOT DESIGNED to be worn alone- same as having an XBOX 360 without the power cord and calling it good.

You don't like plate carriers- this basically translates that you don't want to wear your FLC correctly

17. BaghdadRecon

BaghdadRecon New Member

Greenville
    If you can point out anywhere in my thread where I have stated "I don't like plate carriers" then you are right. That being said, I would actually prefer a plate carrier, but simply can't afford one, especially when it is a loadout being used maybe 4-5 times a YEAR.

18. Shadow_Nugz

Shadow_Nugz New Member

Sioux City
    My bad, I thought I saw plate carrier. It was chest rig. Sorry about that.

Get a place holder, I am not familiar with IOTV's but I am fairly sure you can find one (or a Chinese lookalike) that will work fine. That's what I am doing with my pc, I am getting a meh quality TMC until I can buck up enough to get a FLYYE or ToySoldier model.

Especially if no one else runs as high quality gear as you, they won't know the difference.

FLYYE makes an OTV for ~$90. I can't find it in ACU but that is proof they exist.

IOTV

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  19. BaghdadRecon

BaghdadRecon New Member

Greenville
    Yeah, you have a good point. No one I play with knows the difference between an m88 and MICH 2000. Everything I have so far is mil-issue. I have been looking at the Pantac IOTV, but it's just not the same. I might be the only person on my field that can tell a difference, but I can tell a difference, and that just bothers me to say not everything is military issue.

20. MR38

MR38 New Member

Washington
    Why did ask for improvements if your were not going to listen to anyones suggestions and even argue with them?