Basic AEG Maintenance and Care

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Grinder060, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Grinder060

Grinder060 New Member

Duncan Falls
    I wasn't sure if one of these existed, so I figured I would make one up.

BASIC AEG MAINTENANCE AND CARE

1. Clean your barrel! It's one of the most important parts in having an air gun. Cleaning your barrel is good practice after every use, especially if you have a tight bore barrel. This will prevent jams and keep your gun shooting like a champ.

Use this end of your your cleaning rod, tear off a little piece of napkin and put it through the little hole and wrap it around. And like Robin said, use only 100% silicon oil.

[​IMG]

2.Always charge your batteries for the correct time needed! This is important because your battery can go bad if you do not. It is very wise to buy a smart charger along with a good quality battery. If you have a standard wall charger you will have to take your batteries Mah rating, and divide it by your chargers output Mah.

Example: 1100 Mah battery with a standard wall charger with an output Mah of 250.

1100/250=4.4

So a little under 4 and a half hours.

Always remember that a Ni Cd battery will need to be discharged before using, a Ni Mh won't need to be.

3. NEVER I repeat NEVER use .12 BB's! In fact never use any BB's from walmart, Dick's, MC SPORTS, Duhnams, or any other sporting good store around. The only time you should buy BB's locally is if it's from a store dedicated to airsoft. I have had good results with TSD Tactical .25's, and KSC perfects .25's.

The reason being is because using the cheap ammo will ruin your gun! BREAK THE INSIDES OF IT! Like I said....BREAK THE INTERNALS

They break pistons and chip gears. Now, would you rather spend the money repairing your airsoft weapon and maybe buying a new one, or use good quality BB's that will give you better performance anyways?

4. Treat the gun like a real firearm! Keep it out of sight from the public, orange tip or not. I'm sure I don't need to explain this one.

5. There's usually a BB chambered in the gun after you remove your Magizine! Make sure you clear your gun after use, fire in Semi a few times, make sure your not pointing toward anyone at the time, a BB will Fire! This is also Good practice because it resets the spring.

That's pretty much all the basic knowledge, If someone has something else to add, just tell me.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  2. sXlash

sXlash New Member

Thanks This really helped, I never knew how long i should charge my battery.

3. Dragonfury

Dragonfury New Member

Rochester
    Could you describe the cleaning process a little more?

Like do I need to oil anything after a game? Anything majorly important that I should always remember to clean.

Thx

4. Robin-Hood

Robin-Hood New Member

Inverness
    The only oil you should use EVER EVER EVER is 100% silicon based.

100% SILICON BASED!

Not silicon and petroleum or 75% silicon etc. 100%

Did I stress 100% enough?

Topshotz357 likes this.
  5. Grinder060

Grinder060 New Member

Duncan Falls
  6. SgT_ScReWb

SgT_ScReWb New Member

there are some .20's at walmart that i use and they seem fine, they are seemless and polished as well... been using them for a while and i've had no problem except for 1 bb...

7. G36fanatic...

G36fanatic... Supporting Member Supporting Member

Boulder
    you should switch to higher quality. Even a higher quality .20 will give you better accuracy, trust me!!!!!

8. Frontline

Frontline New Member

Seriously, I've noticed all the difference. I used to use those. Now i've got .25's from TSD, and they work like a charm.

9. SgT_ScReWb

SgT_ScReWb New Member

hmmm i guess your right... anyway i can get it cheaper than 12$ plus shipping in NH?

10. Echihn

Echihn New Member Supporting Member

Thats is the ABSOLUTE WRONG WAY to clean a barrel.

DO NOT USE ANY SILICONE TO CLEAN. SILICONE IS NOT A CLEANING AGENT. SILICONE WILL DIRTY A BARREL.

The correct way to clean a barrel, is to use isotrophol (sp) alcohol. Silicone will actually dirty a barrel. WAAAAY dirty a barrel. In fact it will make it as most unefficient as it can be.

to add:

So, for barrel and hopup cleaning, use 70+% rubbing alcohol.

To lube the hopup, use 100% pure, silicone rc shock oil, not the crap made for airsoft. Silicone made for airsoft is NOT 100% pure silicone as it uses other chemicals to compress and spray it. RC shock oil is pure liquid silicone, something you WONT find with ANY airsoft mfg silicone.

Next, using silicone on a barrel to clean it will :
    A: reduce fps
    B: Reduce consistency
    c: lower fps
    d: cause malfunctions.

in the end, you DON'T want a lubed barrel. You want a clean barrel. Being silicone lubes, and not cleans, your adding dirt to the barrel by using silicone. You need alcohol to get it down to bare, clean metal. Anything else... well guess what, your not cleaning.

in the end, airsoft myths need to stop here. Silicone doesn't clean, it lubes. Its a simple concept that I'm surprised most don't understand.

You follow the guide in this thread it will a: weaken your gun, b: cause inconsistencies you wouldn't see with a real cleaning method.

in the end, this thread = fail because its mis information going on common myths of aeg users. Open your mind and think with your head... because real life, is exactly opposite as what was said. (and if anyone wants to argue with me, lets go to the range and see who is hitting 275-300 feet consistently. It sure aint any of the aeg users on this site :D

And to specifically point a finger, robin was not only wrong about the silicone, he was mis informed. But, we will cut him slack, because this is a common mistake with new airsofters.

NEVER EVER USE SILICONE TO CLEAN, AS THATS NOT ONLY ITS OPPOSITE INTENDED USE, ITS GOING AGAINST PURE PHYSICS. lube = drag. Sure lube fixes friction, but being a barrel isn't designed to add friction and needs to be spotless clean, it means, silicone as a cleaning agent will just add drag, dust, dirt, and really turn the cleaning intervals into a by use type of ordeal. So once again, ALCOHOL is the ONLY cleaning agent for barres... bar none. And like said, any one who wants to contest it, feel free to compete with me range wise... as I will quickly show you what really works, and what doesn't. End of story.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
    Topshotz357 likes this.
  11. Echihn

have fun breaking your gun.

its more than just what you see with your eye, as were talking microscopic size. ANY inconsistencies will kill accuracy. Reason in myself, always saying AE, Javelin, Bioval etc being the ONLY ammos to work decent. If you aren't paying an arm and a leg for your ammo, your getting junk. In the end it costs a lot to have a purely perfect round. Its a simple theory that is PROVEN.

Crap ammo = crap performance. Simple. O and any american retailer such as big 5, walmart, sports mart, sports chalet etc are using AMERICAN MADE ammo.... which is known NOT TO WORK well.. PEriod. Its nothing about preferance, and everything about reality. Its how it is, and deal with it.

Go buy some AE ammo, I can almost bet money it will massively out perform cheap ammo

12. Grinder060

Grinder060 New Member

Duncan Falls
    How is this thread fail? One thing might have been wrong, but it dosen't mean it can't be changed. You could have just said, change the silicon to alcohol.

And I don't care how far you can hit with your classic, it has nothing to do with this thread.

I respect you Echihn, so I will change this in my thread, I realize that it is mis-informing people but if no one tells you it's wrong, and you hear it everywhere, wont you believe it?

EDIT: I can't edit the original post now, so one of the mods will have to do it I want
    where it says "like robin said, use 100% silicon".

13. SgT_ScReWb

SgT_ScReWb New Member

I guess your right, bro...
    I was told this last night and im now starting to look for higher grade bb's...
    prolly something from airsoft gi or sum

and when has anyone ever used rubbing alcohol to clean a barrel? lol wouldn't it like screw it up or something?

14. Robin-Hood

Robin-Hood New Member

Inverness

I agree. Cheap low quality BBs are a bad idea, but if they are advertised as "High Qualit" "Polished" and are .2g then they can't be that bad. Obviously $20 BBs will be better than $5 but I doubt they will destroy his gun. Maybe just perform worse.

15. hairyman

hairyman New Member Supporting Member

Dublin
    Yippy,,another rant designed specifically to knock AS and its members,,,thanks Echihn.

16. Echihn

lets put it this way, longer than AEG's have EVER been around.

Rubbing alcohol has been used to clean LRB's and scs's since the 80's. Thats the issue with new airsofters, they don't bother to look into the classic airsoft realm. We have shown, and proven what stuff works over 2 decades.

The whole fact is, (and I'll use newschool terms)... Noobs use silicone to clean barrels. We laugh and mock at them... because they are uninformed noobs.

So, that being said, you can't argue with what has been proven in over 30 years of use. No aeg methods can disprove anything we have proven, just because we have 10+ years more of experience with things than aeg users.

Silicone = lube, alcohol = cleaning. Even in the medical industry, the aerospace industry etc they view it the same. You can't clean with a lubricant, but you can clean with a known cleaner.

17. Echihn

and no hairy, nothing to knock as members. NOTHING. this wasn't designed to knock on any member here, and when I did, I noted, that it was excused.

The whole point was, since you brought it up, that then the ENTIRE as community is misinformed and need to start doing things right.

Nothing about egos, nothing about "knocking on people" nothing about any of that. You cant argue, or deny pure fact. And pure fact is what I said, and nothing less. Can't deny or argue with 30 years of airsoft... for any reason. AEG's are just too new.

So, instead of pulling me out, why don't you look into it, and say, hey, maybe thats right, rather than saying I'm picking on AS members. In fact, I'm working on a vid intro right now with a prominent AS logo on it, but hey, since I hate AS so much, why did I bother to correct something that was not only mis leading, but incrorrect to begin with. But hey it came from an admin of your site, so that makes him uberly supreme and correct? Come on man.

and to add : I have tried to be super nice to you, and other AS faculty. but none the less, just being in a MOD, or admin state of things, doesn't excuse or exclude you from being called out, or having someone say your wrong. In the end MOD/Admin doesn't = your right all the time. It equals your a mod or admin, serving the purpose of website integrity, not being always right all the time. I called robin out the same as If I would do to any other member, regardless of his "stature". Being a figure of power doesn't exempt you being straightened out. Ya know? (and yes, I happen to really respect robin... but that doesn't mean I can't call him on something.)

and one last add.. if you want to see a clip of what I am working on with a HUGE prominent AS logo on it, let me know. You are one of 3, yes 3 forums that have gained such a thing off me. If I disrespected and hated AS so Much, I wouldn't either post here, or give you the light of day in my videos. After all, I'm here to help out the community, not kiss the ass of a few admins.

18. Robin-Hood

Robin-Hood New Member

Inverness
    I thought I only said for lube to be silicon, never mentioned cleaning in this thread but okay now I feel I've been involved I might as well have my say.

I respect your experience etc Echihn and I'm not saying you are incorrect or anything here I would just like to say I try to keep an open mind & appreciate correction etc, as I would much rather be put on the spot and corrected than wonder around being wrong all the time. Just try to keep an open mind that not all of the techniques used in classic guns will work as well with AEGs. I'm sure you've worked that out already though.

I've never heard of rubbing alchohol being used in an airsoft gun, interesting, will have to give it a go next time I do a spot of maintenance.

19. sellersjason13

sellersjason13 New Member

Las Vegas
    This is very right. Alcohol is a sterile cleaner yes it will keep the barrel clean and spotless as well. It will also make sure debris are free and clear of the weapons barrel. I think that you have made a very valid point. But you don't have to challenge people. Relax take it easy and take a deep breathe. LOL Good job on the post.

20. SgT_ScReWb

SgT_ScReWb New Member

lol sorry to piss you off, i'm just starting to get deeper into airsoft (as in farther than beyond buying a gun) so i am definetly a noob...
    but i see that the alcohol would make sense...
    once again sorry bud, just trying to learn :(