Batteries . need advice

Discussion in 'General Accessory Discussion' started by krix0cris, Oct 6, 2015.

1. krix0cris

krix0cris New Member

breitenbach
    hello again,
    i wanted to ask some advice from some veteran airsoft players.

im going to buy my gun this saturday and i have a package in mind (more lika a list).
    i will be getting the gun A&K SR-25, 1 hicap mag (no mid available),ASG MK23 NBB, mag for pistol, 1 L green gas, 1 sniper bag, basic plus charger and my question is about number of batteries.

i will buy 1 since the gun doesn't come with battery but i wanted to know if i should buy 2 in case i run out of battery because i will be playing all day and all night (seperate weekends).

2. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    Generally speaking, when thinking about battery consumption, the ROUGH equation is 1mAh per BB. So a 1600mAh battery will allow you to ROUGHLY shoot 1600 BBs AT BEST. There are lots of other factors, but that's the rough equation to get an idea in regards to a stock gun on a NiMh battery.
    Right off the bat, in the least you want a decent 9.6v NiMh battery with (in my opinion) 1600mAh minimum. If you gun can hold a larger capacity battery, try to push it as long as it fits in your battery compartment/pouch.
    Personally I would want 2 batteries minimum. 1 main and 1 back-up, and if budget allows, 3 is my goal for a NORMAL FULL day of play. You may want to increase the number to 4 depending on how often you fire the gun.
    Keep in mind, shot for shot, semi-auto needs more energy than full auto.

Sidenote, check the dimensions of your SR25 and gun bag. Double check your length as well as gun's height in correlation to the width of the bag.

-mobile device-

3. krix0cris

krix0cris New Member

breitenbach
    i did not know that semi use's more than full auto. i never stop learning here :)

the gun is 1000mm (according to website) and the bag is 1200mm. so i think it should fit. plus i will be buying a sports bag (cheapest i can find) to carry vest and rest of gear.

for batterie i was thinking of buying 2x Intellect 9.6V 1600mAh NiMH - Small Type. since the sr-25 stock is big i think i can place any batterie type.

can you tell me if this batterie is better than the other? Intellect 9.6V 2000mAh Ni-MH - MP5A5 / M4A1 - i know it has more capacity, but i want to know if i should put it in a sr25 since it says mp5a5 and m4a1

4. theonlyBuster

S. Florida
    Think of it this way, it takes more work to move something from a dead stop in comparison to something moving that's already in motion (same direction of course). So 3 shots in semi will use more energy than a 3 round burst in full auto.

The "MP5A5 / M4A1" is arbitrary. A battery is a battery, the only question is does it have a compatible connector/adapter and is it an adequate power** for the gun. So focus search based on dimensions, then refine your search by performance specifications and connector. I don't know what type stock you have, so I can't really get into specifics.

**By power I'm generally referring to voltage, amplitude, and discharge.

-mobile device-

5. krix0cris

krix0cris New Member

breitenbach
    i got this battery,
    http://postimg.org/image/sxjqwtfqn/

its a 9.6v 3600mah.
    the gun stock is supposed to be able to hold any battery or at least its what i read in several shops description of the gun. its a full stock so it should be ok.

i will be getting a small type 9.6v 1600mah to act as back up, can you tell me if a NIMH can stay charged for long periods of time?

6. theonlyBuster

S. Florida
    Double check your connector. MOST AEGs have small type Tamiya connectors, this LOOKS like a large type connector. Of course you can use a small-to-large tamiya adapters, but when possible you want to limit the number of adapters as they're just additional avenues for problems. So double check the connector(s).

Aside from that, I've NEVER heard of UBPower, not saying it's good or bad, it's just a brand I've never heard of. I tend to stick to Intellect and other well known brands, though the linked battery MAY BE just fine.

NiMh rated to hold their charge for about 30-60 days depending on various variables. Regardless, I try to take the time to top them up the night before or morning of the events/game. It's just good practice so you don't walk onto the field with a dead or half-charged battery. A decent smart charger will charge them to full more efficiently than a trickle charger. (Can't remember if you've said you're getting a smart charger or not).

-mobile device-

7. jbwigg

jbwigg Member

Brookhaven
    Sr-25 usually come with large connectors ;)
    The stock can fit a 9.6 large brick style with the small tamiya to large adapter

8. krix0cris

krix0cris New Member

breitenbach
    If the UV Power battery is low quality, you bet i will return it. And i hope the fuse does it work in case of some spike in the current. If it starts giving problems i will just return it and get another intellect

9. theonlyBuster

S. Florida
    Just spend the time doing research online to determine if it's low quality before purchasing. You've got the world at your fingertips. Utilize Google, Bing, Yahoo, Ask, and so on. Doesn't make sense tossing out money to test quality if other players have already gone down this route before. Spend 15minutes or so searching the interwebs for general but meaningful information.

10. krix0cris

krix0cris New Member

breitenbach
    ok. i got the batery i ordered and encontered 2 problems.
    firstproblem is the weight. I HAD NO IDEA the dam batteries were so heavy.

second problem was a error from the store. i ordered a 9.6v and got a 8.4v and the receipt that came in the box also says 9.6v so i wanted to ask you guys if the difference from 8.4 to 9.6 is big. they are 3600mah and for a SR-25.

edit: never mind the second problem. its a different price. 9.6v 77.90 chf and 8.4v 69.90 so i just need to know if the performance has a big diference. if its a low difference i will just ask for the diference in price to be refunded

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  11. jbwigg

jbwigg Member

Brookhaven
    It's pretty noticeable and if you are using an sr-25, it'll be worth the 9.6 for trigger response if nothing else

12. krix0cris

krix0cris New Member

breitenbach
    ok. already sent a email and im waitting for the response. the funny thing is that i must pay any charges to send back the package and they dont refund paypal. all a bit suspicious.

13. BlackNightBravo

BlackNightBravo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Where the hell did you order this thing? I usually buy batteries from hobbyking...

If they don't refund you for shipping back their screw up I'd make a BBB complaint.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  14. krix0cris

krix0cris New Member

breitenbach
    im not sure what is BBB.

i sent a email asking (nicely) what happened and they admited it was a error.
    they didnt say anything about the return fee's but i offered to go to the store myself and trade the battery, and they agreed with no complains.

i only offered myself to go to the store that is 2 hours driving away because i will be going to another store in that area to get all my stuff (guns and other accessories).

they agreed and said they would notify the staff about my case.

i was a bit shocked when they said they didn't refund paypal. doesnt paypal has a system for refunds? like when you are scammed or get wrong item (my case)?

15. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

There will of course be a difference, but it won't be big, we're talking about a difference of 1.2 volts, that's just a few RPS difference in ROF, and the trigger response difference shouldn't be big either. The 8.4V ni-mh will most likely be a bit gentler on the trigger contacts and on the internals in general, which is a good thing.

16. krix0cris

krix0cris New Member

breitenbach
    Quick question.
    I have 2 new batteries and i want to know how much charge is in them. I ha e a basic smart charger and i dont think it shows this.

17. jbwigg

jbwigg Member

Brookhaven
    Best option is to just 2amp charge them real quick doesn't (take that long)
    Or you can get a multimeter cheap and test it if you just want to figure out how charged it is

18. krix0cris

krix0cris New Member

breitenbach
    you just made me wish i payed attention in my electricity classes :(
    but i'll manage somehow.

thank you for the help.

19. krix0cris

krix0cris New Member

breitenbach
    you weren't joking when you said it wouldn't take long. charged a 1600mAh in +-10 minutes

20. jbwigg

jbwigg Member

Brookhaven
    I don't know the exact numbers and all but the battery puts off more power after the 1amp complete charge compare to 2amp.