Battery Help

Discussion in 'General Accessory Discussion' started by Stonearmdog, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Stonearmdog

Stonearmdog Member Supporting Member

Sevierville
    I need help on choosing a battery for a build I'm workin on. I'm using a m120 spring, ASG 16tpa motor, and 12:1 gears. I want a 11.1v or 14.8v lipo, high mah, and a high constant output. Keep in mind that it has to fit in a buffer tube or the stock tubes and have a deans connector. So far this is all I've found and it's perfect but its out of stock and $40 a piece. http://www.eliteairsoftbatteries.co...soft-red-30c-2200mah-3s-111v-nunchuck-2n.aspx

2. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Forget about 14.8V li-po's, it'll destroy your gearbox with the setup you describe. A setup like yours will do close to 40rps on a strong 11.1V li-po and close to 50 with a 14.8V. The battery you linked should get the job done very well, it's capable of up to 66 amps cont., your setup should pull less than 30. That's plenty headroom, and headroom is good.

3. Airborne101

Airborne101 Well-Known Member

Chicago
    Your desire to fit the battery in the buffer tube or in the stock tubes severly limites you. The one you linked is too big to fit in the stock tubes, and obviously wont fit in the buffer tube.

For the same reason, we have to rule out a 14.8v because it wont fit in the buffer tube or stock tubes either.

This is the largest pack that you can fit in the buffer tube. You will lose 1-2 stock positions due to it's length.
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...tech_1300mah_3S_25_50C_Lipo_AIRSOFT_Pack.html

Given your gear ration and TPA of the motor, I would be hesitant to run this battery.

4. Stonearmdog

Sevierville
    Then what should I do? Id rather not run an external battery but I can if necessary. I want the gun to be as clean and realistic (externally) as possible but I'll do whatever I have to.

5. Lefse

The battery linked by Airborne101 will work, but I agree with him, it's far from optimal. On paper it puts out enough current, but it'll run close to it's limit and this will hurt the lifespan of the battery and you won't get full performance from the motor. You have three options, lower the power consumption, use a larger battery and mount it externally, or somehow fit two battery packs inside the gun. You can for example have one in the buffer tube and one inside the front handguard, this will be quite impractical though. The simplest solution is to run an external battery.

6. Stonearmdog

Sevierville
    Ok. Is there a recommended block battery and pouch? Or does it really matter.

7. Airborne101

Chicago
    You have to decide which is more important to you. A clean look, or good performance.

A battery pouch is a battery pouch. There isn't much special about them and one wont offer any benefit over the other.

To maintain a clean look, you could purchase a stock mag pouch that attaches to the stock. Then take a magazine and cut a large hole in the side. That would allow you to fit the battery in the mag and store it in the pouch. It would just look like you were running a magazine on the gun. (photo is not mine)
    [​IMG]

8. Stonearmdog

Sevierville
    That looks pretty good. I would rather have good performance for that's what makes a good gun. I would have to cut a hole in the stock right? I've looked at non-airsoft brick batteries on hobbyking but I read somewhere that you shouldn't use those because they arent suited for airsoft. Is this true or not?

9. Lefse

RC brand batteries are actually better suited as you get usually get significantly better performance compared to cost. The motor pulls what it pulls, doesn't matter if the battery can put out 50 or 500 amps. The only difference is that the startup current might be a bit higher and this may put a tiny bit more wear on the brushes. If there's a short it doesn't really matter how strong the battery is, it'll cause tons of damage anyway which is why it's a good idea to have a fuse and thoroughly isolate the wires. I only buy "airsoft batteries" when I need it to fit inside a cramped battery compartment, like in my UMP or G36.

Another way to mount the battery is in an empty "ready mag" on the side of the gun. My G&G baby M4 came with a battery compartment like that and it's a good compromise between functionality and aesthetics. It has room for a relatively large battery while being quite discrete.

10. Stonearmdog

Sevierville
    Thanks everyone for the help. I appreciate it.

11. Stonearmdog

Sevierville
    Sorry but I just had an idea. What if I rewired to the front and used a PEQ box? The only thing would be being able to the wires through the ris.

12. Airborne101

Chicago
    That would be a good way to go. I did that with my high ROF M4 (22TPA, 10.44:1 gears). I am able to run a 40C 2650mah lipo in a PEQ.

Running it to a PEQ would allow you to use a significantly better battery.

13. Stonearmdog

Sevierville
    What battery and peq was it?

14. Airborne101

Chicago
    Blue Lipo 7.4v 40C 2650mah and 11.1v 25C 2650mah in a dboys PEQ2