Airsoft Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got back into airsoft after 8 years or so. I just got a G&G CM16 2.0 and upgraded to an m120 spring and shimmed the stock gears. Ive been researching LiPo's and Titan Li-Ion batteries. I like what I see with the Titan batteries compared to the 9.6v NiMH 1600's Ive been using. The gun is wired for Deans already but does not have Mosfet. If I am going to use a 7.4v 3000mAh Titan battery, will I need to install a Mosfet to not burn out my trigger contacts, etc?

·
Registered
984 Posts
You should never use a Titan battery

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should never use a Titan battery

After posting I did read through you testing and it was pretty disheartening. Seem to be seeing mixed things with these batteries.

·
Administrator
11,385 Posts
Stay with LIPO...unless you know you have good cells under the wrap...

Try to recognize the Titan Hype and don't get sucked into the Cult while they bleed your wallet for "donations".

·
Administrator
11,385 Posts
Did you know that you must put a maintenance charge in a NIMH pack every 30 days or pack can be damaged due to low voltage over a long period of low charge.

With a LIPO. Use it, and when done, use the charger (B6/HOTA logic charger and NOT the management cable chargers) to put it in storage mode and the pack can sit on the shelf for years with no issue.

By criteria that is far less maintenance than a NIMH.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you know that you must put a maintenance charge in a NIMH pack every 30 days or pack can be damaged due to low voltage over a long period of low charge.

With a LIPO. Use it, and when done, use the charger (B6/HOTA logic charger and NOT the management cable chargers) to put it in storage mode and the pack can sit on the shelf for years with no issue.

By criteria that is far less maintenance than a NIMH.
Ill do some more research into LIPO. If I were to run a 7.4v LIPO(wired for deans, but no mosfet), would that eventually burn out the trigger contacts?

·
Administrator
11,385 Posts
Any battery will burn contacts.

It's about the "power", not the chemistry of the battery.

However, a 2S LIPO may burn out the contacts after 100K shots... in semi...depending on maker.

And a MOSFET has many variations. Not all MOSFETS have voltage protection...case in point the old Cybergun inline unit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any battery will burn contacts.

It's about the "power", not the chemistry of the battery.

However, a 2S LIPO may burn out the contacts after 100K shots... in semi...depending on maker.

And a MOSFET has many variations. Not all MOSFETS have voltage protection...case in point the old Cybergun inline unit.
I think Ill grab a 7.4v LIPO and smart charger to play around with. Im looking through amazon (have some credit on there). Are there any brands to stay away from, or any recommendations for battery/charger on there?

·
Registered
520 Posts
On smart chargers, something like this will work (not as difficult to figure out as it seems):

Stay away from stuff like this:

A good charger should be charging from the main lead (you also plug in the balance lead) and should have the 4 buttons.

·
Administrator
11,385 Posts
That is a good charger, but you may need a Tamiya adapter. They only come with T-Connector/Deans.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is a good charger, but you may need a Tamiya adapter. They only come with T-Connector/Deans.
I'll l check that charger out.

Based on aotsukisho's battery testing thread, there doesn't send to be a "best Lipo" to get. Seems like a crap-shoot with no matter what brand. Am I'm I reading those results correctly?

·
Registered
520 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,308 Posts
Not sure I am wanting to go lipo either. Don't really want to worry about high maintenance batteries.
I've found ni-mh batteries to be generally more hassle than li-po batteries actually. Yes, they'r slightly less volatile, but they cope very poorly with high charge or discharge current. The last ni-mh packs I used were Intellect 9.6V 3600mAh C cell ni-mh packs, so not your typical dinky ni-mh "stick", but even these packs wore out in just one season with a moderately upgraded AEG. I also got tired of the super slow charging if you want them to last. My oldest li-po's are Hyperion 7.4V 35C 1800mAh "brick" li-po's that are a decade old and are still going strong, that's how long they can last if cared for.

Reactions: ahedgpe

·
Administrator
11,385 Posts
C alone means nothing.

That pack is "not" a good pack. I have found that packs sold on Amazon is actually pretty bad.

Claims 25C which means it's really a 12C and at 1300mah...sub-par.

·
Registered
520 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts