Featured BB weight

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Paul rotledge, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Paul rotledge

Paul rotledge New Member

warwick
    What weight BB should I use, for an outdoor range, I am currently am using .28g; Would a heavier BB increase my ability to cute through foliage ? I have seen BBs up to .40g. I will be running a G&G CM16 Raider 2.0 and a Elite Force 1911A1 Tac.

2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    What you use is up to you and your needs.

Most new players run .20g Just on pur volume per bag/bottle.

I run .28 and as low as .23g indoors.

Would a heavier bb help cutting through leaves...that depends. Consensus is yes, but only at a limited level based on the capability of your AEG.

Density of foliage needs to be taken into account as well as range.

As for shooting the same bb in through the AEG and the GBB...I wouldn't do that for each platform has performance variables. Mainly the EF1911 is not a very good gun. The hop-up is made for .20g and with CO2 being inconsistent...the FPS is going to drop under rapid fire.

3. OutlawAirsoft

OutlawAirsoft Active Member

Hamilton
    A lot of people probably won't call a hit if your shot is cutting through a lot brush, but that depends on your fields policies regarding ricochets.
    I use .25 mostly, but it is up to you. Keep in mind that the heavier you go, the more expensive it gets.

4. Paul rotledge

Paul rotledge New Member

warwick

5. Ben3721

Ben3721 Well-Known Member

For the typical outdoor field, .28 is a sweet spot for a aeg chronoed at 400fps with .2

.25 will not be as accurate at the limits of its range and .30 and .32 will just take forever to get to the target and the joule creep at least for most aegs will dramatically become worse after .28, some aegs this isn't the case tho. I won't even get into hpa users joule creeping after chrono with .2 that's its own topic.

Conditions such as wind, rain and leaves also tends to change it up to, I always have some .30 or .32 for bad days, and even some .28 black bbs for snow days, or for those pesky bb dodging players. Never hurts to have a mag of mixed white and black bbs on me.

Someone should do a study of how much joules it takes for someone to call a hit on various spots on their body/gear.

It would also be interesting to have a rough study of the fps of different weight bbs during its entire flight, calculating it would be near impossible with the backspin effect.

OutlawAirsoft and Paul rotledge like this.
  6. OutlawAirsoft

OutlawAirsoft Active Member

Hamilton
    That would be an extremely interesting experiment. Impossible, sure, but still interesting.

7. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    You could set up an optical open top chrono for this at various ranges.

8. Ben3721

Ben3721 Well-Known Member

I guess I don't have to move the chrono, just step back like 5 feet every shot. Might be harder at long range tho with a through hole chrono.

9. redmoon3580

redmoon3580 Member

Seeing as the angular and tangential velocities are independent this isn't particularly difficult to calculate since it's drag on a sphere - not far from the idealized models taught in high school physics.

This calculator should be fairly accurate. It will depend on air viscosity, which is usually assumed based on elevation from sea level. The lower elevation you're at the stronger the drag forces will be. This calculator doesn't take it into effect, but it'll still get you into a good ballpark.

https://www.airsoftnorge.com/bbcalc/BBcalc.htm

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    OutlawAirsoft and Ben3721 like this.