BBs falling out of barrel

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by NSWIntelGuy, Oct 25, 2020.

1. NSWIntelGuy

NSWIntelGuy Active Member

Slidell
    Problem: VFC SCAR-H with a mid-cap mag inserted, on semi and auto, four to six BBs will fall, or not shoot very far (like, 10-15 feet maybe) out of my barrel. This problem is usually corrected after the first 10-20 shots out of the gun and the rest fly out flawlessly.

The BBs have been Evike brand .25 and Elite Force .20 running a 9.6 NiMH and a 11.1 LiPO, respectively.

Of note, the gun was worked on by AEX Sacramento while I was in Bahrain to make it a true CQB set up (yeah, yeah, spare me. I'm no mechanic). Is it possible that had something to do with it?

2. John Daley

John Daley New Member

Gardner
    Any details of what was done, like hop up packing, nub/patch and/or chamber? That may make it easier to provide ideas.

3. NSWIntelGuy

NSWIntelGuy Active Member

Slidell
    I don’t think any of that was changed. It’s a proprietary hop up. Though they did change out the TBB I had for another TBB.

4. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Have you tried the basics like cleaning your barrel, with a solvent?

Do not use silicone oil.

5. John Daley

John Daley New Member

Gardner
    That’s a good place to start, also, if they changed the barrel perhaps they did the packing as well...I know they can do some funky things until they’re broken in. Regardless of whether it’s new or off the other barrel, you might check the feed lip seating and that the mound is centered in the window, verify the packing is straight in the alignment slot.

6. Ben3721

Ben3721 Active Member

They also could have jammed the packing in without any lube on the outside causing the lips to peal back.

From my experience certain hopups need that packing lip retention to prevent pellets from slipping past. Madbull reds have secondary retention lips and the newer maple leafs do as well, but that can't be the only thing going on here. Edit: Most the time you can find a normal packing that just fits right with the perfect retention without needed an extra added lip.

Another possibility is the nozzles resting position in semi is like 1/5th into the window, acting as a ramp to the bbs out the barrel, its a odd occurrence that I've only seen a few times, that has so many factors required to even occur, including how charged the battery is for how much overspin occurs. This issue can be visually checked easily and dismissed.

Also shooting a aeg with like 4-6 bbs per shot could lead to some pme damage. Its basically a borderline compression jam. So shooting through the issue probably isn't the best idea, especially in auto.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020