Beginner at teching! Need some help

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Ace4300, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Ace4300

Ace4300 New Member

Ridgewood
    Hey guys! I'm starting my first build in a month or so, and this is my first venture into internals. Is there a thread that demonstrates the basics of internal work/parts? I already know most of it, but I just want to refresh my memory (please don't respond with things like "Thanks for searching idiot!" or "Try searching", as my search tool doesn't seem to be working...). Once I start the build, I will post a thread so you guys can help me get started. Thanks in advance!

2. xXTacoMcFacoXx

xXTacoMcFacoXx New Member

3. chumbro

chumbro New Member

wilsonville
    I recommend buying a cheap and used AEG first.

Then you can practice shimming, disassembling, fine tuning hop up, and assembling without the risk. Always get first hand experience, as the videos make proportions look weird.

4. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Patience is essential when teching, don't rush things. Take your time and do things in a controlled manner.

5. pancakemix56

pancakemix56 New Member

Boston
    My number one thing, have a clear open space, and keep organized. If you have every part, there is no way you can get stuck!

6. Ace4300

Ace4300 New Member

Ridgewood
    Thanks for the help guys. Any tips on opening up an ICS (with the split gearbox)? Is it much different?

7. Ace4300

Ace4300 New Member

Ridgewood
    Scratch my last post. I went to a local shop, did some looking around, and I think I decided on the Elite Force M4 CQB. The only problem I see with it is slow ROF (and I heard about bad trigger response) but I will fix that with a JG High Torque Motor (blue motor). Should that do the trick?

8. Rocky

Rocky New Member

Superior
    No don't get that it's oem'd by ares,So it's not that great. Get a G&P,King arms,or vfc.But as said above i would say get a used/broken gun and fix it up and learn before you take apart a new gun.

9. PistolsAndMP5s

PistolsAndMP5s New Member

Corona
    I'd get an ICS M4. Those split-gearbox designs are extremely helpful.

10. Flocktime

Flocktime New Member

NukeTown
    +1 this or a JG since you will have not as much to upgrade in them.

11. DadCRO

DadCRO New Member

Really, the only way to know how to do it is just do it. Open the gearbox, mess around, if you can't put things back together, just look on the internet. You'll gain a bunch of experience just from doing that. Then try upgrading/shimming/DIY mods and other stuff.

12. Thestig

Thestig Some say... Supporting Member

Colorado Springs and Southern California
    I would suggest making sure you have a workspace already set up, with all of the tools you need, such as screw drivers, metric and imperial hex wrenches, pliers, a soldering iron, vices, punches, a dremmel if you have it, and possibly torx screws. There are other tools that you could use, but those are the specialty tools that may or may not be needed. Also, have containers to separate your screws. I personally use the battery containers you get when you buy Kirkland AA and AAA batteries at Costco. They are large enough to put large parts in, yet separated.

Then, watch a lot of YouTube.

13. Ace4300

Ace4300 New Member

Ridgewood
    The thing is, the only upgrades I'm going to be doing is a new motor, a tightbore/new hopup bucking, and maybe shimming or something cheap I can do myself. None of those except shimming require me to go into thr gearbox.

14. Ace4300

Ace4300 New Member

Ridgewood
    If I had the money for one, I would. My budget's real tight, I'm stretching it as it is with the Elite Force. Anything I don't like about it, I will upgrade. I just want to know, will the JG motor help me increase ROF?

EDIT: Sorry for double post

15. Rocky

Rocky New Member

Superior
    How much do you have to spend?

16. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    The JG blue will slow down your ROF if anything. They are slow motors.

17. Ace4300

Ace4300 New Member

Ridgewood
    Really? Do you know of any cheap motors that will help? I really want to try to keep it under $50

18. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    Lonex A1 (AKA balanced or a Red).

19. Axis

Axis New Member Supporting Member

This. Lonex A1's are some of the best motors on the market. I got one from Hivemind Airsoft shipped for $51. Got to my house in good time, too.

20. Ace4300

Ace4300 New Member

Ridgewood
    Will this motor strip the stock gears? Or do I have to get bearings/SHS gears?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012