Beginner, best gun types makes models?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Evansboy28, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Evansboy28

Evansboy28 New Member

I am about to get into softair. I figure id rather actually run around and shoot real people, than do it on my xbox.

I used to have a cheapo plactic M16 when i was a teen. It was electric and once the battery died i got rid of it because i had no charger and didnt know where to get one. But now i work at my local hobby shop which has a few hand guns and green gas and bb's. we also carry NiMh and NiCAD batteries. And quick chargers.

So anyway im asking whats better. Electric or gas? Is one more reliable than the other? Are there C02 AR's? I am looking for field stuff. Maybe an M4, G36C, P90, or an F2000. My price range will probabbly be around $150. Want one thats full metal. Not in search of a pistol just yet. But maybe sometime after i get my main weapon. Also what BDU's are reccomended? Ive been looking at some Army of TWO masks online. But would just normal cammo outfit and boots work? Would a backpack holding extra mags and bb's be to much bulk?

Sorry if these questions have been asked before.

2. iZazzil

iZazzil New Member

Grapevine
    AEGs are much more reliable IMO. Gas doesn't work in the cold and the magazines for GBBRs are usually around $30-$40 a piece. And most good GBBRs are way outside of your budget not to mention the cost of maintenence or if anything goes wrong. If your looking for something that's going to last for a while, get a JG. They are built like tanks. They make an M16A3 which would get you the range you need. And as for the backpack idea, get a vest with some MOLLE on it and put a hydration carrier on the back. It is like a backpack and you can put a bladder in it to stay hydrated on the field.

3. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    GBBR are more for realism and training. If your not planing on trying to stay with realism, get an AEG. you can get 120rd midcaps instead of the GBBR max of like 45 for some brands. There are Co2 mags for GBBR, WE makes some decent rifles for CO2.
    For starter rifles, especially on your budget, a JG m4 or g36 are great choices to start with and are both upgradeable.
    Get a 7.4 lipo and balance charger if you get an AEG. youll see better life and better performance out of the gun and battery
    Any camo you like is good. Or no camo, it doesnt really matter thats all personal preference.
    dont carry mags in a backpack. you cant access them easily. instead get a chest rig or plate carrier from Flyye or Pantac.
    check your local fields rules reguarding eye protection. more and more fields are requiring full seal eye pro (not mesh) like ESS or Revision. Dont skimp on the eye pro. I recommend ESS profiles and they are only $30

4. Evansboy28

Evansboy28 New Member

Thanks for the advice guys. Goggles do seem more practical. And electric sounds alot easier to maintain. Especially since i get great deals on batteries. Ill have to check out JG. Ive been hearing alot about their quality around the forums.

5. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    Once you learn the workings of an AEG gearbox, maintaing your rifle does become easy.

6. Evansboy28

Evansboy28 New Member

Yeah ive actually been reading the Airsoft GI's Airsoft 101 guides. Very helpful. I think ill be going with the JG M4 s-system. Even though it looks like alot of people run the M4 it seems like a solid gun. Alot of good reviews on Youtube about it

7. ComputerMan

ComputerMan New Member

Warning:Do not get a combat machine!

Jg is your best bet, or g&p if you can up you budget to match their basic models

8. osawaab

osawaab Active Member Supporting Member

Charlotte and or A galaxy far, far away
    I may get a few people mad as Airsoft megastore popularity has gone down, but they have the 2013 version of the s-system at a better price than the older version Airsoft gi carries. Im not against Gi at all, they are the only store I buy from, but I also like getting a better gun for a better price
    http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/190...-Tight-Bore-Barrel-Newest-Enhanced-Model.aspx

Edit: After looking on airsoft gi they actually had the S-system on sale for 116 but it was out of stock so...

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  9. Evansboy28

Evansboy28 New Member

I wasnt looking at the gun from American GI. Just about AEG internals and stuff.

10. Killaboy

Killaboy New Member

Goessel
    I am a noob too. But I want to tell you from what I am learning stay away from SRC AR's that has the motor in the pistol grip. This motor is adjustable and I can never seem to get in adjusted just right and when I finally got it I found out that the gear box was having a problem too.

11. averageairsofter

averageairsofter New Member

Menifee
    -__________- Can't tell if you are trolling or just stupid. Every airsoft ar has an adjustable motor that is in the pistol grip. And anyone with the slightest amount of competence can adjust a motor properly.

12. Batman

Batman New Member

Wichita
    He's saying he doesn't like the M4 design as a whole. Also yes it is very easy to adjust a motor but not when you get the height right one moment and then a few shots later it gets screwed up again.

13. averageairsofter

averageairsofter New Member

Menifee
    Shouldn't the motor stay in the same place after you adjust it?

14. Batman

Batman New Member

Wichita
    It works for a few shots, then makes a god awful screeching sound.

15. Killaboy

Killaboy New Member

Goessel
    I am going to say it again, the motor in most M4 that I know of have a terrible design. Also most M4's are designed where the battery will go in the handguard that's the worst it takes forever to get the battery to fit in the lower half. And when ever I open the wire keeps squeezed between the handguard and the barrel and the wire has a mark along that area. I think its best to get a caged motor... Does anyone have any experience with one?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  16. iZazzil

iZazzil New Member

Grapevine
    The battery in the hand guard works if you don't have a large battery. That's why you get a lipo :)

17. Batman

Batman New Member

Wichita
    Yes, lipos are great, I will be purchasing some more for our next skirmish.

18. Killaboy

Killaboy New Member

Goessel
    Yes it does work but its just a tight squeeze. and if you don't put the battery in right or lay the wire just right its not going to fit. Also if you had any experience with a gun like this what model was it?

19. Killaboy

Killaboy New Member

Goessel
    Thanks Batman... I got your back too! :)

20. iZazzil

iZazzil New Member

Grapevine
    A crappy Well M4. It snapped in half which is why now I'm getting a King Arms:)