Beginner in need of some guidance

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by Kulprit, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Kulprit

Kulprit New Member

Hey guys,

First of all wonderful forum, I have spent hours just trying to read and absorb as much as I can as well as other forums I have come across. This one is by far my favorite and the one that most feels like a future "Home" for me.

I apologize if I ask newbie questions a bit, but I am a bit overwhelmed by the amount of information out there.

Background: Me and a buddy are thinking about getting into Airsoft. We have never played, though we did play paintball about 10 years ago. We have some experience with (real) guns at the range, and enjoy it, but we are looking to Airsoft to get outside and get some exercise and get the blood pumping.

Our budget for our first gun is about $200 and then we can go from there with upgrades and rounding out the rest of our kits (we are starting at 0)

Basically what we are looking for is a good gun, that has future upgrade capabilities. We like to tinker, and we like to learn hands on, so it's probably a gun that will be taken apart and upgraded etc, so it has to have this ability. I should mention we are looking at the M4 category for the abundance of accessories to play with.

It doesn't have to be incredible, because knowing us if we get into Airsoft there will be plenty of other purchases etc, and we would probably build our own from the ground up. This gun would then be the loaner we use to try to lure friends into playing with us, so it has to have longevity in that regard. I should say that we will play a majority of our time outside in fields.

I think the general consensus from my reading is that JG may fit our needs best. Seems like a good gun for the price and is extremely friendly to upgrade. My biggest question right now is full metal or not? I see a large price jump when I go from a non-metal receiver to full metal. I wont lie I love the idea of an authentic full metal gun, but if it makes room in my budget without sacrificing performance I could consider synthetic.

And advice you could send my way would be greatly appreciated, thanks again for your time!

2. Maxuhmize

Maxuhmize New Member

OKC
    Well, first of all welcome to the forums! Have fun and enjoy your stay!

But about the gun, JG makes very good beginner and upgradeable guns. The receivers are ABS but some parts are metal on it. Since you wanted to upgrade I thought I'd put this in there: $200 upgraded JG can shoot better than an all stock CA. So JG would be a great beginners choice.

The first things I'd upgrade on the JG are the gears, switch to deans, and the piston and piston head. I'd also throw a good 'ol TBB in there as well.

This is what all I'd do, but other people have different opinions. But I have two questions for you: Are you gonna play CQB or field and do you already have a loadout?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012

3. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    Welcome to the sport, we love hearing of newcomers.
    As states above, JG M4-S system is a great beginner rifle and is right in your price range. Another good gun is the G&G Combat Machine. They are cheap and reliable. My first gun was a CM and it ran for over a year without a single problem and all I upgraded was the hopup, bucking, inner barrel and a 7.4 lipo with deans. It ran a solid 345 FPS at 18 RPS.
    You will find people who hate CM's but then you will find people that love them. That is the suggestion to start from my end adn then from there move forward to G&P, VFC, KWA and ICS. Those are the top brands

4. Kulprit

Kulprit New Member

I imagine the majority of our play will be field play, but getting weaker springs to be able to CQB could happen.

Though, again knowing us, we would probably end up getting a second gun spec'd for CQB if it was something we enjoy.

We can wander into the obsessive side of things when we take on hobbies, and we enjoy collecting and tinkering, lol.

As for load out, we have some covered from our trips to the range as well as camping and that sort of stuff, but we would need to get some good eye protection and eventually build up our ideal load out over time.

We aren't afraid to spend money, it's just mitigating that initial splurge as well as making sure it's something we will enjoy long term (that's me trying to be mature and responsible, how'd I do? Lol)

5. Kulprit

Kulprit New Member

As I continue my research I've gotten better ideas on how the brands stack up.

I've also heard a lot about coupon codes and things like that, can anyone point me to a good source? If I'm able to find a good code that could enable me to step up the ladder to a G&P possibly.

Here are my three thoughts (low - medium - high)

JG M4 - full metal? S-series? Still unsure of specific gun, Sooo many options!

King Arms Colt M4 $200
    http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=33573

G&P M4 $250
    http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_44_219&products_id=37369

Obviously some jumps in prices there, but like I said if I can get a code to cut down the G&P and the quality jump is enough like I read, I'd be willing to spend the extra.

Thoughts?

6. Seyo

Seyo New Member

Behind you
    Welcome to Airsoft Society!

The G&P has very nice externals and good internals. It also comes with deans connectors. Just remember that you will need a smart charger, battery(s) and BBs too.

7. Kulprit

Kulprit New Member

Yes sir, we have set aside budget for that, currently just researching the gun part, as that will ten give me direction on power and ammo.

Thanks for your input, really appreciate it.

8. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    G&P are some of the nicest guns on the market toady. If you can afford that then go with them. If that is maxing out your range then you can get a lesser rifle and upgrade it later.

9. CoppertopNeasg

CoppertopNeasg New Member

Boston
    King Arms M4 is probably the best choice for you. It combines a metal body, good internals, and is TM spec so you can swap out parts and tinker with it very easily. Once you get a gun make sure you read Tackett's guide to hop up tuning, the air seal guide, get deans connectors, a 7.4 20c LiPo and in all honestly you should read all of the stickies. Ask any further questions you have, I have probably created a few more.

10. fradd

fradd New Member

Coupon Codes that I use:
    http://www.retailmenot.com/view/evike.com

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/airsoftgi.com

ASGI = free shipping + coupon code discount
    Evike = free shipping OR coupon code discount

11. Rusty34

Rusty34 New Member

Corneria
    The only issue I have with King Arms is due to the bolt catch system that can easily be caught and break which then you have to spend $20 to replace if you want to of course but over all King Arms is a great company to go with. Not the best but it's in the top tier of companies.

12. Kulprit

Kulprit New Member

One other thing I'm getting hung up on, battery mounted in front or back?

Does this make a difference? I imagine for balance it'd be better toward back, but I see a lot front mounted. Is one more desirable then others?

13. CoppertopNeasg

CoppertopNeasg New Member

Boston
    There's not one particular way that is better than another in ever single case. For my M4's, M16's ect. I prefer rear wired because it is much easier to disassemble the gun. Also you have a lot more battery space to work with if you go in that direction. But I also run full stocks on a lot of my guns. You have lots of options for where you can put your battery including the foregrip, stock, peq boxes and battery pouches. What you choose really depends on the size and shape of the battery you want to use.

14. iZazzil

iZazzil New Member

Grapevine
    Also have you considered maybe getting an M16 instead of an M4? G&P makes a very nice M16. M16's usually have longer barrels which adds to range and accuracy. The M16 also features a full stock which is great for holding large batteries that have a larger mAH capacity, which enables you to play longer.

15. Beta

Beta New Member

16. Kulprit

Kulprit New Member

Yeah I definitely have considered the M16 platform, but I figured the decreased size of the M4 variant would help me if I were to play in a CQB environment.

Since I understood that there wasn't much of a gain in accuracy or range in Airsoft for the longer barrel, I figured the added mobility would be my best bet.

Correct me if I am off the mark, I have zero practical experience having never played Airsoft.

17. Kulprit

Kulprit New Member

18. Kulprit

Kulprit New Member

Ok so think I've settled on the G&P M4, but need help on one final detail.

I've found two on evike that seems virtually the same, except one has deans connectors and one has Tamiya.

Is one more desirable then the other? Both are wired to back, so seems only the connections are different.

Links for reference:
    Deans: http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_44_219&products_id=37369
    Tamirya: http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=37511

I'm obv aware the color is different, but am I missing anything or is the connector really the only difference?

19. Seyo

Seyo New Member

Behind you
    Deans connectors has less resistance than Tamiyas resulting in a quicker trigger response. They are the prefered option.

Great decision BTW!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  20. Axis

Axis New Member Supporting Member

They also increase RPS by 1-2 in some cases