Featured Best Airsoft Mechanical Component Lubricant??

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by clanofwolves, Sep 7, 2020.

1. clanofwolves

clanofwolves New Member

Raleigh
    So what's the consensus on the best lubricant to use on airsoft gun internals?

I've always used silicon spray and was recently chastised for not using oil and I'm just wondering if that criticism holds weight or no.

2. link0

link0 Well-Known Member

SF Bay Area
    I only use Superlube grease(on plastic), white lithium grease or Parktools bicycle grease (on metal). I'll never use any kind of oil, because it's too thin.

Is it the best? Not even close, but it's more than good enough for airsoft.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020

3. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Any type of silicone "oil" or spray film have never been the correct long term lubricant.

For metal on metal grinding parts like slides or gears. Use a light weight grease. PTFE, Gun type or MolyB all works.

kazuchan likes this.
  4. clanofwolves

clanofwolves New Member

Raleigh
    Thanks guys...

I get the use of Silicon based sprays would be no good long term, but I listened to others who recommended it due to so many things in these tools being polymers and plastics.

PTFE White Gear Grease (basically lithium automotive bearing grease) seems like a good go-to for metal as well as reinforced polymer pieces 'eh? Guess the only rub is, you can't spray it in the tight spots, you have to disassemble the components to lubricate (pardon the pun).

5. Beetlebz

Beetlebz Well-Known Member

New Milford
    I use white lithium spray mostly. Spray some on a spare piece of plastic (the plastic bags that airsoft parts come in are perfect) and use a disposable small acid brush. Let's me use a really light film and get it right where I need it.

6. gunnerk19

gunnerk19 Active Member

Rumford
  7. cetane

cetane Well-Known Member

Markham & Stouffville, Ontario, Canada
    Superlube grease for everything... pistol slides & hammer assembly, aeg gearbox everything (gears & airseal components)

it may not be the 100% best for gears (a moly grease would be slightly better imho), but it’s better than the factory goo in aeg’s and you don’t need to think/worry about what goes where. It’s good stuff

link0 likes this.
  8. Automobilie

Automobilie Active Member

Used to use Superlube for everything, but it's not meant for gears so only compression components now.

I've been using a multi-purpose lithium grease and have tried a calcium-complex for awhile, but the particular calcium grease doesn't seem to have a long life-span. Moly-greases are popular for steel parts, but the moly can potentially compromise nylon parts (though some nylons are impregnated with molybdenum on purpose, so I believe the concern was dimensional stability).

Silicon oil is just for gbb pistols now since it's able to work into the action without needed a complete disassembly every day.

link0 likes this.
  9. clanofwolves

clanofwolves New Member

Raleigh
    I have used Superlube for my road bike (pedals mainly). Which SuperLube product are you guys specifically speaking? (we're talking for springers, not AEGs)
    SuperLube.jpg

10. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I use regular lithium grease for gears and other maechanical parts and pure silicone paste for air seal parts. I seem to get slightly better compression and consistency with silicone paste compared to silicone oil and I have tried various oil viscosities. I'm guessing it's because silicone paste is more stable than silicone oil.

Chow likes this.
  11. Automobilie

Superlube Multipurpose with PTFE. Iirc it has a synthetic-oil base, but they also make a silicon-oil based grease.

JHat likes this.
  12. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    So there you have it. AEG's are not anything special and a multitude of lubricants can be used...not one is really the "best".

Chow, link0 and Lefse like this.
  13. Automobilie

I think the only concern with compatibility in a gearbox is with polycarbonate parts. Nylon is pretty chemically resistant, and it looks like POM is good for most lubricants.

Also, white lithium grease is just lithium grease with a white additive to indicate wear/age (I think zinc-oxide does add a little extra extreme-pressure protection).

aotsukisho likes this.
  14. aotsukisho

aotsukisho Active Member

Polycarbonate is not the best material to be using in a gearbox anyway. Nylon and POM plastics play nice with a lot of common lubricants, same with any modern O-ring made of Buna-N/NBR or Viton.

15. cetane

cetane Well-Known Member

Markham & Stouffville, Ontario, Canada
    In the pic you posted, going from left to right, I use #3, but it’s the same as 4&5... just different packaging

Chow likes this.
  16. Dead_Christmas

Dead_Christmas Active Member

Zimmerman
    Silicone spray is nearly useless in all applications. I confidently make a blanket statement like that because it's a full-power-cost-saving-delivery-method for a lubricant mixture that does next to nothing compared to any other format of lubricant.

Silicone sprays, or any kind of aerosol mixture for that matter can have a majority-composition of petroleum distillates, isobutane, butane, rather than the actual component that you're hoping lands on the parts...those are not things that you want interacting with or banking on lubricating materials like plastic, silicone, rubber and the like.

I firmly believe that all of these silicone sprays should be destroyed immediately, and replaced with a 100% silicone oil, at least. One can get these in a staggering amount of different viscosity for all sorts of applications, all of which have their own ups and downs, but allow for the perfect weight to be selected for specific applications.

I used to believe that silicone period was the worst choice for any type of lubrication, but it's not the case...except for 99% of uses where metal on metal components are concerned. 10w silicone oil is an excellent general-purpose lube for all kinds of non-metal or silicone-rubber parts inside of an airsoft gun, for example. Weight can also be chosen with consideration to assisting compression of pistons, gaskets in magazines, etc.

Lubricating metal-on-metal is an entirely different beast, and is a war that will never end. People on the internet will fight tooth and nail to justify what they use and why. "More than one way to skin a cat", as it is. I believe that as long as the performance is satisfactory in regards to protection, and lubrication, then well-enough should be left alone. That's not to say that there aren't absolutely inferior lubricants (aerosol sprays), or thickener agents that one should strive to keep others away from.

It's easier to steer others away from bad lubricants, rather than argue that one isn't as good as the other provided all necessary prerequisites are met...And proof of performance is shown and sound.

Be open to suggestion and new information. Read, read, read. Part of experience and learning is the constant acknowledgement that one doesn't know everything.

10 wt silicone oil for lubricating plastic parts on spring-operated guns, except in special circumstances like metal on metal contact in rare, high-end spring guns.

Static seals get the highest possible viscosity silicone grease. Although, I've recently got my hands on a 4m wt silicone oil that defies gravity and is actually difficult to move with my finger. It will be interesting to experiment with.

Moving seals like output-valve seals, piston heads, etc. That's the most difficult one to answer. It depends on how powerful the main spring is, as using too heavy of a lube will cause viscous-drag. The proper weight could be *anywhere* on the spectrum ranging from a 99-cent miniature spring pistol, to a top-of-the-line, experimental bolt-action designed to push the fps records of all airsoft.

I use a few different weights of high or mid-viscosity gear oil for metal on metal. Grease is a living nightmare to clean out, but has its uses.

I have a tub of synthetic amsoil that I use exclusively on critical parts that are dangerously susceptible to wearing out fast. Beretta disconnector sears, Pistol components made by WE...

In my opinion, rather than arguing about which lube is better, it would be more beneficial to raise the floor of the barrel's bottom, so to speak, by appropriately blasting the most offensive "lubricants" out of the public's regard, instead.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  17. fortjp500

fortjp500 New Member

GRANTVILLE
    I always used Superlube for everything but have experimented with a number of oils and greases. My conclusion is that you want a gear oil like Schaeffer Oil Supreme Gear Oil which is the lowest viscosity gear oil that is synthetic, safe on o-rings, but also contains a proprietary MoS2 plating agent that once applied a single time will always remain regardless of water washout or pressure, cold weather, hot weather, etc. I have not tested if the plating agent remains lubricating after solvents are applied to the gear. This is by far the best product I have found.