Featured Best full-metal M4 under $1,750: AEG, GGB.

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by modularvideo, Nov 16, 2021.

1. modularvideo

modularvideo Member

Los Angeles
    What's the best goddamned M4 you can buy under $1,750 in both flavors? Not sure if I want RIS or traditional handguard since I may want to fit the M203 grenade-launcher which looks better with the traditional rail-covers.

2. leerihai

leerihai Member

If your 1750 is in USD you can buy basically any goddamn thing, I suggest getting a G&G then modifying the **** out of it with things like titan MOSFET and Top tier inner barrel, you can even HPA tap it if that is your thing, you can pay a gunsmith to do the work if you are annoyed, 1750 can get you a really nice rifle with top of the market upgrades and services with it, performance wise I suggest a Aeg with shitload of modifications, if your best means realistic, a VFC GBBR will fulfill it, full markings and a realistic fire control group, I suggest you putting off the launcher though, those thing are top tier unintended teamkilling tool and very situational

modularvideo likes this.

3. modularvideo

modularvideo Member

Los Angeles
    Awesome! Thanks, man! Yes, USD. I don't play—this is just for personal shooting. Yeah, I would definitely like a top-tier GBBR. What exactly is the VFC and the actual manufacturer name? Still on the fence whether I want an AEG too (probably both).

Okay, so for the AEG, a G&G with custom work then? Yes, I would like a MOSFET-circuit. But I don't want to click the trigger to program if I can avoid it (not sure about Bluetooth either).

I would just like three fire-modes: Semi-auto, three-shot burst, and full-auto (i.e., I don't need a ton of custom fire-modes). I guess that's four modes including safe? Either hard-EEPROM'd, or hard-wired. Or I guess I can just program it once the way I want it and forget it.

Also, any Asian dealers you recommend? Where do people find G&Gs for sale? (I'm in the US.) Thanks again for the recommendations!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  4. modularvideo

modularvideo Member

Los Angeles
    Found it! Vega Force Company. They have the VR M4A1 and the VR M4 RIS GBBRs. Both look badass—want both. Found some pricing info (e.g., $358USD for an MK18 AEG) at ampedairsoft.com. Not bad. The problem is of course availability. Seems like these are hard to come by.

leerihai likes this.
  5. leerihai

leerihai Member

If you don't actually play Airsoft and only do target shooting or have it for personal enjoyment, GBB is your best friend, and they usually cost between 320-400 depending on which one you are looking at, if you can get the specific model I can tell you the Asia price, I am not in the US so I can't tell you which US dealer to deal, I can tell you Hong Kong online dealers though, as I have been to almost all of their base stores in Hong Kong, an Aeg really is all about performance, if you love realistic but may want to game sometimes, a Marui Mws is a good alternative to VFC, VFC newer guns are reliable but Marui is even more robust, so they will work nice, with loads of aftermarket part support, We also works but unless you are willing to pay for extra expensive Ratech parts and time for gunsmithing, just go marui, if you heavily focus on personal shooting and just personal enjoyment, a VFC, you may need to modify it a bit though, and DO NOT get their first generation guns, they always **** their first generation up and only got it right in the second

modularvideo likes this.
  6. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Okay...need to clarify things from a bigger perspective. You two do not realize there is more to it than American Consumerism....

You can't buy VFC Gen 1 GBBR's. They have been off the market since 2014. Since you are talking new items. All you are going to get is the "new" stuff. So mentioning old stuff is a moot point.

Currently VFC is only MAKING BCM style GBBR's. Like this:

[​IMG]

On that note. Logistics is a mess right now. Shipping items into the US is no longer an easy feat. UPS was the last express carrier to send Airsoft "props" with express options. It seems UPS is joining the DHL and FEDEX in not allowing Airsoft Guns to fly on their planes. This is happening in real time...and it may be official starting very soon.

So that means your only Express shipment option is EMS - National Mail Systems.

Of which there is an issue. If the package is sent directly to CA. It must have SB99 "markings"...if it doesn't and it's inspected. You will essentially lose the item. If it's not sent directly to CA, it passes through Chicago for anything West of the Mississippi. CHI is a Effing mess right now with Air Express. Imagine the "reduced" staff of 5 warehouses handling EMS packages. Now....change that to 27 warehouse and cutting that staff by another 60%. Yes, that is Chicago right now. A small parcel nightmare. You "may" get your EMS package from Chicago in 27 days...if you are lucky. I had items "stuck" there for over 37 days.

And the squeeky wheel gets ignored and your package gets delayed even more...

Just a larger perspective on the Airsoft logistic world for your view....

modularvideo likes this.
  7. modularvideo

modularvideo Member

Los Angeles
    Hey thanks for the detailed write-up! That's an excellent perspective on the AEG v. GBB question. You've helped confirm that I really want a high quality GBBR. I'm looking at getting the VR M4A1 or VR M4 RIS. I'm in the US (California) so looking for prices in USD. Thanks again for all the advice!

8. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Ummm...you can't get the two models listed.

VR M4A1 GBBR
    VR M4RIS GBBR

They haven't been in the production queue at VFC for over 17 months.

modularvideo likes this.
  9. modularvideo

modularvideo Member

Los Angeles
    That looks f'ing dope! The same idiosyncratic production schedules occur in my other hobbies as well, so I know what you're saying. If you didn't buy Kato CalTrain model train passenger car in 2010, or a Cwejman synth-module in 2020 (the maker died), you'll never get one unless you pay a 2,000% mark-up on eBay if you can find one.

I can't recall when exactly (the last two years are a blur), but I've ordered a lot of stuff from Asia via EMS without issue. Yeah, must've been pre-pandemic, because I recall things coming no later than four weeks (sometimes two). Now, the import marking thing is news. Is that specific to California? Since EGC accepts PayPal, I think I should be covered for any potential loss.

10. modularvideo

modularvideo Member

Los Angeles
    Yeah, I was afraid of that. Yes, very similar to modular synth gear. People have pre-orders for stuff going two years now for some items (and they are waiting!). I'll mosey along over to WGCshop and see what I can find. I'll also be getting the pistols from them. Thanks for all your help!

11. Ben3721

Ben3721 Well-Known Member

Money doesn't always buy the highest quality performance but it does help.

If I had that much cash I'd get a cnced upper and lower, brushless motor, 10:1 gears, aluminum shell, gate titan, lonex compression kit, lapped laylex barrel, and a nicer hop up unit then r hop it. Then a nice rail, carbon fiber outer barrel and a holographic optic with from and back plastic protection lenses fitted to it by hand. That should land the bill pretty close while still keeping a realistic look.

Or hpa the thing.

It's basically a Lego build at that price.

However I wouldn't dump big bucks into a gbb rifle because your investment will likely fall short of what you expect in the long run. Too much proprietary stuff and it will likely die long before the round count of an aeg.

modularvideo likes this.
  12. modularvideo

modularvideo Member

Los Angeles
    Interesting comments, Ben, thanks! But aren't the GBBR components relatively few and simple and inexpensive; e.g., O-rings? Again, I'm not a player, so my monthly round-count should be relatively low compared to others.

Yeah, I'm not so into the hobby that I would go though all that trouble on a custom Lego-build, not to mention the learning curve. I have a sh*t-ton of DC (analog) model train locos I've yet to convert to DCC (digital), and that only costs about $50 each and a 10-minute install! (I'm a pretty lazy hobbyist.)

13. Ben3721

Well the irritating thing about gbb stuff is the crappy pot metal used on proprietary parts and cheap nozzles. Which from use and shock tend to fail over time.
    If decent aluminum and steel parts are used in a build it tends to run quite a bit longer before something wears out of tolerance, and then it starts acting up. Silicone oil in green gas tends to wreck seals and such by swelling them. But proper thick lubrication once in awhile really helps, just not liquid Silicone junk.

There's also always user error, such as loading a gbb mag all the way to the very top then slamming it into the magwell will damage the nozzle feeding ramp push rod, or even break it off.

I have a buddy who has religiously been running ghk stuff for years, his biggest issue was when he loaned it to friends it would come back with the nozzle ruined or dirt in the mag.

In my opinion a aeg should last 30k rounds before any maintenance is necessary, such as relube and visual check, 50 to 70k would be a gamble. Hpa can go for over a million in a controlled test, on the field however wiring and the hop up must be cared for.
    A gbb can't really hit those round counts without relube and replacement of worn parts.

modularvideo likes this.
  14. leerihai

leerihai Member

Ok I have absolutely no idea of how logistics are in the USA, and we can still easily obtain Gen 1 rifles like the 416 Gbb produced before 2018, and we call the first batch of products first gen at where we live, just to clear it up

15. leerihai

leerihai Member

You know with that much cash he can fetch a good GBBR and slam all those top tier good stuff like whole set of Ratech and Crusader stuff in and have it last basically forever, and if he don't know how, he can even have a proper gunsmith do it so it is installed properly and properly adjusted, and given how he isn't really into this sport, might use this chance to have the gunsmith teach him the basics,

16. modularvideo

modularvideo Member

Los Angeles
    Change of plan!

Hey, thanks for all the great replies here—much appreciated! I've now switched to shopping for rifles in AEG exclusively (gas is too hard to load). I'll still be buying Tokyo Marui GBB pistols, but only Glocks. I guess I'll be shopping for a G&G or WA-Tech M4A1 plus an M4 RIS, both in AEG. Other brands to consider? I guess I'll need to, since M4A1s and RIS' are pretty scarce from many suppliers.

So back to the original question, sans GBBRs, and with a lower price-range: Best damned AEGs for under $750? Thanks in advance!

17. Ben3721

I've fixed too many g&g guns to recommend them unfortunately. All the mosfets fail. The microswitch gets squished.

Maybe get a kwa v2.5 m4 and swap the rail to ris?

18. leerihai

leerihai Member

There are speedloaders for loading GBB mag with ease, loading midcaps for Aeg is basically the same if not even more annoying then a GBBR, so unless you only run Hi cap aeg mags and have the patience to not go mad from the stupid rattling, loading it isn't a problem, and if you still really want a good Aeg, I would recommend something like a Krytac, their rifles are pretty lovely, I love the LCT AK12 and RPK16 but have mo experience with their M4 line, assuming you still only want it for their looks and not using them for a game, VFC Aeg M4 are still an option, their self shimming gearbox don't work but for just some target plinking it works, Western arms M4 are best known for their M4 Gbb system, not Aeg, so I recommend not going there, E&C east crane guns are also solid, but need more fine tuning then most, however the silver E&C gearbox it comes with is spectacular, excellent for teching, Bolt Aep rifles is also VEFY SOLID, a good balance between performance and realism from the Recoil, it is the best on the Aep market, Marui NGRS aeg rifles will also work, although their aftermarket support is VERY poor, so I would recommend a Bolt or a Krytac, they should do the job

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  19. Tackleberry6

Tackleberry6 Active Member

Old bridge
    Im really surprised that nobody here recommended a Viper Tech GBB with his budget. They are closest thing in airsoft that comes to a real firearm. Their externals are built like tanks and they seem to run very well.

20. leerihai

leerihai Member

DNA or Vipertech will work as well yes

Tackleberry6 likes this.