Best full-metal M4 under $1,750: AEG, GGB.

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by modularvideo, Nov 16, 2021.

1. modularvideo

modularvideo Member

Los Angeles
    Thanks for your comments! I'll probably be putting a fraction of the stress on these guns that anyone who plays does. Damn, between yours and wetpee's last posts, the Tokyo Maruis are back in the game. It's now between the TM M4 and the Krytac above.

2. Jonnyboyman

Jonnyboyman Member

St. Paul
    You can’t really paint out krytac markings, since they are engraved.

Tokyo Marui wins on all fronts compared to the krytac. Only “drawback” is that internally it is harder to work on than a Krytac since it is a little different than the regular AEG system, but that is irrelevant if you aren’t opening it up anyways.

modularvideo and wetpee like this.

3. wetpee

wetpee Active Member

Chicago
    This was what I was getting at in my comment. The word "Krytac" with the logo and "trident" are part of the mould and come out super deep and wide. It's not something you could cover up easily without filling it with epoxy or something and completely repainting. Anyone with even a hint of airsoft exposure would recognize the markings. The "Virginia, USA" marking on the handguard is cool, though.
    krytac-82643.jpg

modularvideo likes this.
  4. modularvideo

modularvideo Member

Los Angeles
    Oh, right. I wasn't familiar with those trades—they are HUGE! I was thinking more of the Colt markings on my CYMA M4 which are in bright white paint—I'll probably be painting those out to tone them down.

Even though I keep yapping about my filmmaking, 97% of this for fun so realism is a lower priority than I had initially indicated.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    wetpee likes this.
  5. modularvideo

modularvideo Member

Los Angeles
    KWA 3.0 Ronin Tactical T10-SBR ERG:

[​IMG]

New contender: $415, less $60 Black Friday discount = $355. I wasn't looking for an SBR/CQB rifle, but folks say KWA makes good stuff. I would be running 11.1V LiPos in this to exploit its high rate-of-fire. While the gun has an ERG 3.0 gearbox, it lacks last-round cutoff. Playing with my M4s a bit today, I became more addicted to high-ROF so this feature quickly got bumped up the list.

It has KWA's "switch-life extender," but lacks an actual MOSFET-circuit (though, it'll readily accept a Titan), and if I want a suppressor, I'd have to replace the barrel or add a barrel-extension. Still, very high, out-of-the-box ROF and very nice-looking externals. All considered, very close to pulling the trigger on this while the Black Friday promotion is still in effect.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  6. leerihai

leerihai Member

You can consider a PTW/DTW or a Bolt, if you really aren't sure, go to the store and ask if you can try to see which one have a better recoil for you

modularvideo likes this.
  7. modularvideo

modularvideo Member

Los Angeles
    Thanks! Not familiar with PTW/DTW—what does that stand for?

8. leerihai

leerihai Member

Professional training weapon, Dtw is a cheaper variant of that system, it is probably one of the closest to real firearms, it is designed with that specifically in mind, the whole thing works similar to it, feels like it, and is really incredible, the only issue is that there isn't much after market upgrade motor for it so you stuck with the stock but that isn't a problem tbh

modularvideo likes this.
  9. modularvideo

modularvideo Member

Los Angeles
    Pulled the trigger on the KWA T10! This will got lots of rail-crap attached to it. This will be my primary shooting gun, running 11.1V LiPos, exclusively.

leerihai likes this.
  10. Jonnyboyman

Jonnyboyman Member

St. Paul
    That’s great! It actually does have last round cutoff, you just need to get the magazines with the followers in them (that are marked for compatibility with KWA/KSC ERG).

make sure to join the KWA ERG owners group on Facebook!

modularvideo likes this.
  11. wetpee

wetpee Active Member

Chicago
    Hmmmm I don't think that's right.
    KWA's made things pretty confusing with their model naming conventions. I think the empty mag cut-off feature is denoted by AEG 3.0+ or something like that...?
    I believe KWA is now mostly producing AEGs which lack that feature because the design prevented installation of trigger boards (Gate Titan, Jefftron Leviathan, etc.)

modularvideo likes this.
  12. modularvideo

modularvideo Member

Los Angeles
    Yeah, pretty sure KWA eliminated auto-cutoff on the 3.0 models. The KWA magazines have followers but only to improve feeding. The T6 has auto-cutoff but has a 2.5 gearbox with no ERG (there's an excellent T6 Epic Deal bundle on sale right now at Evike).

Black Friday buys:

I rebought the CYMA M4A1 to get the $30 Black Friday discount (returning the first one because the dust-cover doesn't close), making the effective cost just $169.

However, I much would've preferred the full-metal KWA RM4-A1 M4 $329 Epic Deal bundle, but they sold out before I saw the promotion. You got an ERG rifle, plus two 9.6V butterflies, smart chargers, extra mag, red-dot, safety bag, etc. (the rifle alone sells for just a dollar more at $330, and has been sold out for a while).

Finally, I couldn't resist getting an old-school, full-metal A&K M16-A3 Epic Deal for $168.

[​IMG]
    A&K M16-A3 NS15 AEG.

Also bought a jungle-camo green chest-rig and can't resist the idea of dressing someone up holding this. If I can bring this on a plane in baggage to Hawaii, there's plenty of jungle there for shooting what could be a pretty cool Viet Nam-era vignette.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021 at 1:40 PM
  13. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    "baggage to Hawaii, there's plenty of jungle"

Have you really been to Hawaii? Jungle and Island Tourist Trap isn't two words that go together...

Plus that is the "wrong" M16.

That one is more Grenada or 1990 Iraq usage.

VN are the ones with Triangle Hand Guards.

Like the VN or M16A1

AR15 - VN

[​IMG]
    M16A1
    [​IMG]

14. modularvideo

modularvideo Member

Los Angeles
    Yeah we go every year, mostly Kauai. There's a jungle at the front steps of the last place we stayed and a grassy valley on the path to the beach where I was planning to shoot. Maybe I can just pop in that handguard and no one will be the wiser.

Every major Hollywood director has made their Viet Nam movie and the images are so iconic. There's even an Apocalypse Now river where we usually rent kayaks. All it's missing is the flaming helicopter in the trees.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  15. modularvideo

modularvideo Member

Los Angeles
    Here's a period-accurate M16-A1 GBR like the one Guges mentioned. On sale now at Evike for $339 (normally $389). Not in the market for a GBBR and it's a bit steep just for a once-in-a-while prop weapon. My $169 A&K M16-A3 is good enough if I can find the legacy handguard to fit.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  16. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Oh Kauai, yeah there is more "foliage" there. I was thinking Oahu, Maui, Big Island...I completely blanked on Kauai.

However, not sure about the Airsoft scene there...movie production, that is a different realm on that island.

If you do go back, take a 6 hour lay over and go to Power Edge.

http://www.poweredgehawaii.com/Main.asp

A very old Airsoft store on Hawaii...they are very boutique and you will see some really old "cosmetically' perfect Airsoft there...unlike Evike and the mainstream churn he sells.

You might even see an NGRS there...

If you want to be "accurate" your A3 would not work. You have a few other cosmetic variances that would stand out to the "experienced" eye.

modularvideo likes this.
  17. Graybeard

Graybeard Member

Silver Spring
    Ha, that’s why my wife was issued when she went in ‘07, along with an M9. A lot of support people were issued the M16A3 to keep the M4s in the hands of the combatants.

modularvideo likes this.
  18. modularvideo

modularvideo Member

Los Angeles
    Back on topic:

Speaking of, "best AEGs under $1,750," wouldn't a Tokyo Marui NGRS fitted with a Gate Titan V2 Expert Blu-Set for NGRS MOSFET be a pretty sweet, premium set-up?

• Tokyo Marui SOPMOD M4 NGRS: $436.
    • Tokyo Marui NextGen batteries (x2): $118.
    • Gate Titan V2 NGRS MOSFET $241.
    • EMS shipping to Los Angeles: $68.
    • Total: $863USD.

Also, I would really love a Tokyo Marui HK416 NGRS, but WGCshop doesn't export them to the US. People keep suggesting a broker, but without any specific contact info, I have no idea where to find one.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021 at 7:11 PM
  19. Jonnyboyman

Jonnyboyman Member

St. Paul
    …Guges Mk3 is a broker

Also, you should ask yourself why you want a mosfet. Is it really worth the extra money and hassle? In my experience, TM NGRS are perfectly fine without MOSFET as long as you use 7.4, but feel free to disagree with me.

The upgrades I would recommend for NGRS are spring and the associated durability parts to ensure gearbox longevity with using said spring so that the bb’s can travel faster, and secondarily a rhop for the extra range (though, stock TM range is already pretty good).

modularvideo likes this.
  20. modularvideo

modularvideo Member

Los Angeles
    Thanks, jonny—I will be keeping my guns stock until they break: running 9.6V NiMHs in the standard-builds and 11.1V LiPos in the KWA.

Just to follow up on the Vietnam-era M16A1, I got in on a pre-order for a full-metal, "standard" CYMA M16A1 for $189 (regularly $229). Will get the short mag when they're back in stock. Reviews are uneven, but one negative reviewer was running 11.1V LiPos (again, I'll only be running 9.6V NiMHs in these).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021 at 2:43 AM