Best full seal goggles for glasses?

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by lesajjj, Jun 8, 2015.

1. lesajjj

lesajjj Member

Danbury
    Alright, as the title pretty much explains it, I'm looking for goggles that can fit over glasses. I've been playing for years without my glasses (backyard plinking) but yesterday was my first game, I'm nearsighted and not being able to wear my glasses was a huge issue in the field. I wear aviator style glasses (they're pretty big too, about 1 1/2 inches tall and 5 inches wide) so it'll be difficult to find goggles that can fit over them. I was thinking of getting prescription goggles, but those are quite expensive, and I don't have contacts either. What do you all recommend???

2. Stephenms

Stephenms New Member

Sarasota
    I too am on the hunt for full seal goggles for glasses. Mine are just a tad smaller, 1 and a quarter inch. I have done a lot of research and found that FlakJak makes a military grade goggle that fits nicely with glasses. http://www.airsoftpeak.com/tactical-anti-full-goggle-glasses-w3pc-lens-p-3727.html

You can get them on eBay even cheaper but they were used. I'd rather spend the 10 dollars more and get brand new ones plus all the lenses. I will continue my research before I order these but they look promising. I know the struggle of looking online and questioning if they'll fit and going to your local store to try on pairs but they charge an arm and a leg or don't have what you found online. The struggle is real!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016

3. Merauder777

Merauder777 Member

Middlebury
    If I recall there was a video that had some pretty good recommendations for this, I will have to look around and see if I can find that...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlXjZRBJ5Do[/ame]

Found it! AirsoftGI did a vid on it but there are many others on youtube. Good video anyway.

Anyway, I read a few tricks that might work if you can't find a good pair of goggles.

One trick was to take lenses from either an old pair of glasses or buy some specifically for this. Pretty much though you are going to glue/adhere by some method the glasses to the inner part of the goggles. Don't need the glasses on in that case but you are obviously down a pair glasses.

Sadly I cannot remember the other tip in enough detail to repeat it confidently but it was something along the lines of ordering a pair of lenses that are custom fit to the goggles? Not all providers will do this and it would probably be too expensive to be worth it in comparison to the other options.

Best of luck, hopefully someone will provide better answers yet because I am also looking for a good pair that I don't need to DIY to fit on my face. XD

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  4. Stephenms

Stephenms New Member

Sarasota
    With glasses/lenses being as expensive as they are I'm strictly staying away from DIY or dismantling my current pair, since it's the only pair I own.

There are pictures/videos and reviews on the Flakjak pair and they really sound promising. But I'm a sucker for hard facts so I'll spend the next week and a half reviewing specifically them to make sure they'll fit lol. Unfortunately I checked my local hobby lobby Airsoft store and the closest they had (that fit EXTREMELY well) were Safe Phace full face mask. But at 65 dollars a mask it's difficult to buy them. And being a full face mask it's difficult to aim down sight in any kind.

EDIT: I did find a highly recommended pair called ESS Land Ops. But they'll run you 60 to 80 dollars from them directly. Though eBay has some used pairs for dirt cheap, the highest I found was around 20 dollars. From looking at pictures of the two, the ESS look a lot bigger. Much better bridge space and nose width. But the FlakJak has a much sleeker look and they're reasonably priced for a brand new set. I'm still feeling solid on the FlakJak.

EDIT2: For the life of me I can not find the dimensions of the Arena FlakJak series goggles. My glasses dimensions are as follows: height 1 3/8 inch, TOTAL width 5 1/4 inch, lenses length individually is 2 1/4 inch. Obviously there are more measurements that go into glasses, but I believe these are the most important. Now I have read that these FlakJak allow thicker frames but I have yet to find proof. Lots of people asking yet no answers. Can anyone confirm, with these dimensions, that my glass will fit COMFORTABLY into these goggles? Anyone who has larger framed glasses? Mine are considered wide but not very tall.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  5. Gryff

Gryff Member

Overland Park
  6. strahta009

strahta009 New Member

bullhead city
    if you wear glasses or just want good goggs, get guard dogs evaders they're amazing

7. Gryff

Gryff Member

Overland Park
    I just linked those xD

8. Stephenms

Stephenms New Member

Sarasota
    Those were actually the first pair I looked at but a lot of reviews say they're not good for glasses, they fell short when someone with wider glasses used them. I might use like a tactical ski mask or get a Safe Phace mask and take the mouth guard off. It's very frustrating when the videos you see are of people trying on goggles with glasses, but they don't give the size of their glasses. Everyone's glasses size is different! I'm still feeling confident on the FlakJak or the ESS Land Ops, I'll see what my Tampa Airsoft provider has so I can confirm they'll work. Any other recommendations?

EDIT: Gryff, what sport glasses do you wear? So I can get an idea of size

9. lesajjj

lesajjj Member

Danbury
    Wow! Thanks for all the recommendations! I posted this almost a year ago and I had NOBODY reply to me, so I thought it was just going to be one of those "ghost threads". But I did take a lot of looks at the Flak Jacks and I'm pretty stoked about those. All of the other goggles I looked at were either overpriced, out of stock, or awful quality; but the links really helped my search, thanks!

10. Stephenms

Stephenms New Member

Sarasota
    If you do get a pair that fit, please let us know!

11. Stephenms

Stephenms New Member

Sarasota
    I did more research and found Rothco OTG tactical goggles, item number is 10732. They were designed for military purposes and can withstand buckshot/shrapnel just like the ESS and FlakJak goggles. These, however, have extra foam that can be cut out to hold your glasses. They have a video about them and this guy wears big sunglasses, puts the goggles over, and still a full seal and he says they're comfortable. I found them on eBay for 28 dollars shipped.

12. Chip

Chip New Member

Bristol
    As someone who has dealt with this problem for three years, here is my advice.
    1. If your field allows it, rock a pair of the big steel mesh goggles with your Rx's underneath. They wont fog, breathe well, and tended to work well for me.
    2. Arena FlakJaks. I cannot say this enough. You should spend your money on two things that aren't your gun, Eye Pro, and Footwear. Don't try to save pennies when those are on the line. I have used flakjaks for all three years of playing, minus some breaks to try others. I cannot recommend them higher.

13. Stephenms

Stephenms New Member

Sarasota
    This is the reply I've been searching for! If you don't mind my asking, what size are the glasses you use? Was there extra space in the goggles with your glasses? Did they push your glasses into your face? Comfortable? (I'd assume this one since you highly recommend them.)

I don't have a problem with mesh, it's just concerning because of possible shrapnel caused with mesh. Very improbable but still possible.

14. Stephenms

Stephenms New Member

Sarasota
    So just an update. I did stop by my local military surplus store and they had the Desert locusts, Rothco tactical goggles (military ballistic and civilian version), and a pair that fit just like the Guard Dog. The locusts did not fit very well because they're fairly small, my glasses pushed back into my head pretty bad. The guard dogs were the most comfortable and only slightly pushed against my face but it's tolerable. The Rothco ballistic military editions fit nicely. Only a slight pushing but better than the guard dogs, plus they had plenty of room and nice breath vents for fog. The civilian Rothco pair fit better than the military edition, more comfortable, but NOT ballistic rated.

I was so ready to buy the Rothco military edition goggles but I'm still so curious on the FlakJak pair that I held off on it. No one seems to have these FlakJaks, I stopped in three stores. If anyone has worn these with glasses, please let me know the fitment on your face and if they pushed your glasses into your head. A little bit is just fine but there's some pairs out there that really hurt