best target shooting gun?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by x_titan_x, Dec 5, 2010.

1. x_titan_x

x_titan_x New Member

Corunna, MI
    I use my current airsoft pistol to just shoot at targets, cuz airsoft is a lot cheaper than real bullets, and I don't live near any firing ranges. I don't play airsoft other than shoot at some targets, or even paintball, because there really isn't anyone around where I live that plays. I don't want a pellet/metal BB gun cuz I want something that looks like a military gun, and I don't want to sit there and pump it.

I have an "officially licensed" HK P30 electric pistol I bought from Wal-Mart (or maybe it was Meijer, IDK). I don't know the FPS, but it isn't very accurate, even at about 20 feet. I was just looking at getting something with a higher FPS and a higher capacity magazine (mine only holds 18, and I reload it more than I shoot) that is more accurate, but not too costly. I would at least go 50 feet or longer if I can. Also, i do use the .20g BBs, not the .12g. I used the pack the gun came with and I could tell the difference.

EDIT: also, electric or CO2 is preferred. If there is a spring powered that is super good for target shooting ad is very accurate, and is easy to cock, I'll look at those too.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  2. KingCobra

KingCobra New Member

moyock
    your limits are so wide the best I can do it this.

airsoftpost.com

airsoftgi.com

shortyusa.com

airsplat.com

ehobbyasia.com

wgcshop.com

pyramidair.com

tokyomodelcompany.com

3. Tenhoff

Tenhoff New Member

washington d.c
  4. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

south
    If you're looking for a pistol to practice shooting targets with I'd suggest gas (Green gas or CO2). I definitely wouldn't get anything electric because for one their velocity tends to be a little less, and fixing them isn't as easy as most gas pistols. On top of that most gas pistols render a more realistic look and feel.

In terms of gas there's hundreds of choices. It all depends on the style pistol you're into. The majority of pistols have/had an airsoft counter-part.

5. G36fanatic...

G36fanatic... Supporting Member Supporting Member

Boulder
    do you have a price range? There are some very nice Gas blow back pistols out there that are very nice and have a good strong kick when you shoot them. They can be had for around $100-$150 on average. Some being more/less expensive, but at the same time, you get what you pay for in quality.

For what shooting you do, I highly recommend any pistol from the page on this link:
    Evike.com - Airsoft Guns | Evike.com - Gas Airsoft Pistols | Evike.com - KJW |

*Just don't by anything that says "Y&P" in that link.

If you have any questions on how to use maintain these pistols feel free to ask as much as you need to on the forum.

6. themarine99

themarine99 New Member

Monroe
    18 bb's is high for a pistol?

7. G36fanatic...

Boulder
    its average. Most are around 18-24. There are some exceptions, but generally thats the capacity.

8. themarine99

themarine99 New Member

Monroe
    How?most is 10-12?

Oh you are talking about green gas sorry

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2010
  9. G36fanatic...

Boulder
    Waht are you talking about? Even the spring pistols I had WAY back had at least a 15 rnd capacity. One even had a 30rnd mag... Although I've been out of the loop on current springers :D maybe they lowered to capacity to suck you into buying there proprietary mags.

And seeing as green gas pistols cover about 90% of the market, my statement still stands.

10. Tenhoff

Tenhoff New Member

washington d.c
    all they want is money.my springer only holds like 12 shots

11. reedfe

reedfe New Member

WPB
    my springer holds 24 :p

12. 808Kameleon

808Kameleon New Member

Honolulu
    For those who wants an accurate sniper rifle at a budget, the Mauser SR (or UTG Shadow Ops, WELL L96 AWP) sniper rifle. Cost anywhere from $140 - $180.00 plus shipping. Once the scope is dialed in, it is accurate up to 100 feet and beyond! Upgrades and replacement parts are readily available anywhere!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKqmaV17v7M]YouTube - MAUSER SR Airsoft Sniper Rifle Accuracy Test After All Upgrades Done[/ame]

13. Mav1457

Mav1457 New Member

my springer holds close to thirty. I try to count whenever I load it but it just keeps going and going and I get bored :D

If you want a spring target gun thats awesome try the Taurus PT 24/7 it was the best spring gun I ever owned and is pretty accurate.

14. dirtman

dirtman New Member

Ventura
    I don't know if you want to stay with a pistol, and not sure of your budget. this is small, upgradeable, and will give you a 100" efective range, full and semi auto. it is electric has 2 mags hi cap 200rds and 28rds
    no co2 to buy and no propane to smell...and green gas is to exspencive.
    In my short time doing this I have found out to get a good acurate gun you need to spend $150...JG make some good mp5k's for like $130
    You might look at the classifieds and find a used pistol or AEG
    Evike.com - Airsoft Guns | Evike.com - Airsoft Electric Rifles | Evike.com - AEG / JG | Evike.com - Pre-Order Estimated Arrival: N/A --- Matrix G5 TSD Galaxy Full Size PDW Airsoft AEG Rifle |
    I have a JG G36 and I realy like it...similar to this
    Evike.com - Airsoft Guns | Evike.com - Airsoft Electric Rifles | Evike.com - AEG / JG | Evike.com - JG / AEG Latest Version MK36C Full Size Airsoft AEG Rifle w/ Reinforced Gearbox |
    I am sure there is somebody playing airsoft around where your at. I had no idea there were so many in my area till I got on a local form.

15. x_titan_x

x_titan_x New Member

Corunna, MI
    By the looks of it anything really is better than what I have. I can't find specs on the one i got, but I found that it comes with the .12 bbs and they are recommended, so it is slower with the .20 i bought. I was looking thru hitguns cuz they have a lot more sort options. I think i'm going to get a JG, Cyma or Well, they look like a good brand, and that they have good range and accuarcy. I really don't care if I get a pistol or rifle. I am now leaning more towards electic, cuz I have RC cars, and I could use my charger for the batteries with them, since they use the standard style plug in airsoft. Speaking of which, has anyone in airsoft done any plug modifications to improve performance? I know there are better plugs from RC than the standard ones, just wondering if in airsoft application if it would improve battery life or performance of the gun itself.

Also, is there a list somewhere of people, fields, and events somewhere so i could possibly find other people who play airsoft near me?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  16. Tenhoff

Tenhoff New Member

washington d.c
    for your last question scroll down to the map on the home page and click the area to see what is near you

17. Patinator

Patinator New Member

Decatur
    Well... how about KJW's Ruger Mk I? They make a version that takes CO2 canisters. I'm getting the green gas version for Christmas, eheh. It's definitely made for target shooting since it supposedly shoots at 430 FPS...

18. dirtman

dirtman New Member

Ventura
    if your familiar with RC cars...I run deans plugs on all guns.

19. x_titan_x

x_titan_x New Member

Corunna, MI
    Yes, my non-bashers and non-vintages run deans (so really only like one at the moment). Any performance difference in airsoft though?

Also, what FPS should I be looking at? I'm thinking like 250+ would be a nice improvement, since I don't know what my current one is. It runs off 4 AAA's and it came with 2 magazines. Anyone seen it before or at least knows what the FPS is.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  20. dirtman

dirtman New Member

Ventura
    From my exsperence the taymia plugs are good for 15a....My 2 JG's pull only around 12a but my KWA can pull up to 19a. I still have one plug to change in the KWA. The taymia plugs are know for getting a bad connecttions...the inner tabs can break if the male and females dont line up right. At least it was like that in the RC car world...the design is the same so I am sure it still happens.
    Don't buy a cheap 250fps low powered gun. get one that is 350+ with metal gears...and it should cost $100+,