Best trigger response without mosfet

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by AirsoftMan29, Aug 6, 2012.

1. AirsoftMan29

AirsoftMan29 New Member

Ofallon
    I am looking for tips on how to get better trigger response without a MOSFET or 11.1 lipo. I have installed and shimmed my shs 13:1 gears, and ordered a high torque motor. I will use either a 9.6 or a 7.4. What else can I do for better response? Thanks in advance

2. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    Install 10.44:1 DSG.

3. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    14awg, 14.8v 25c 1600mAH.

4. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Why not get a mosfet? A basic mosfet unit is cheap and is a major upgrade for your electrics. I don't make any builds without a mosfet anymore. You don't need an 11.1v li-po to get good trigger response, a 7.4v li-po can also give near instantaneous trigger response in the right setup.

5. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    the OP fears LiPo. he doesn't realize 7.4v is also a LiPo.

6. Lefse

Yeah, my signature relates to people like that.

7. AirsoftMan29

AirsoftMan29 New Member

Ofallon
    No I don't fear lipos, I own 3 11.1s. I just don't have the money right now to but a MOSFET, so I don't want to run a 11.1 just yet
    If someone can point me to a cheap MOSFET, i will buy one. It needs to be for version 3

8. mpanary_fako

mpanary_fako Member

Nashville
  9. Lefse

If you know how to solder, you can build a basic mosfet unit yourself, just buy the parts off Digikey, won't cost much.

10. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
  11. Thunderbo15

Thunderbo15 Active Member

Saint Charles
    DE has mosfets for like $15 shipped or something like that, and fako just linked you to bluedragon's ad which I believe he makes good ones as well.

12. Mystery43_4

Mystery43_4 New Member

Santa Barbara
    Your design is fairly weak.

It's a much better design to run your drain through the tab. Drain pin isn't great for higher Amp loads. However you want to connect to the drain tab is up to you.

I solder 14g to a ring terminal, them dremel down 1/4" bolts so they sit flush with their nuts. 1/8" would work, ACE was just out when I went to buy them last.

A better connection is soldering directly to the drain tab, but I'd make sure use a heat sink as it's really easy to burn up your FET when doing so.

Hooking up to the drain typically leaves you with a cleaner looking FET as well. But you can easily wire it in whatever orientation you'd like so you can stick it in those random hard to reach areas.