Boneyard DBoys Scar L Rebirth

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by bludyknux, Sep 18, 2012.

1. bludyknux

bludyknux New Member

I recently purchased a DBoys Scar L "boneyard" gun from a friend. I'd like some help on fixing her up and getting her to Las Vegas field standards. So far, it doesn't fire. I'm trying to push 370-380 FPS, field use, nothing insane for ROF, etc. Pics will be added through the process. Thanks for your help.

2. bludyknux

bludyknux New Member

Sorry for the bump but does anyone have a hop up upgrade solution to a DBoys MK16? I'm looking around for other units, but everywhere is out of stock. Is the stock unit ok to upgrade?

3. John_the_Tech

John_the_Tech New Member

When you say hop up upgrade, what do you mean? The unit itself or the bucking etc? Most m4 hop ups are compatible with Scars. A buddy of mine has an Echo1 Scar and he put in a nice hop up from his extra parts m4. You can buy fairly nice hop ups for 30-40 bucks on Airsoftgi or Evike.

4. bludyknux

bludyknux New Member

Many people tell me they're proprietary and plastic garbage. I'd like a whole unit for more reliability.

5. ShooterMcgavin

ShooterMcgavin New Member

New Port News
    It looks like your only other option is getting a VFC hopup unit which arnt that special. No after market units from the look of things. Your only option is looks like is replacing nub/bucking and maybe doing some DIY mods to it

6. John_the_Tech

John_the_Tech New Member

Echo1 makes a metal hop up that is 25 bucks on Airsoftgi... Very good price and a nice unit... I have used one and it works pretty good. I would suggest that one... Maybe a new bucking for 10 bucks and you will be set.

7. bludyknux

bludyknux New Member

I'm still new to teching. DIY mods? Overall will it be reliable? I don't want to work on a gun that will constantly give me problems.

8. John_the_Tech

John_the_Tech New Member

Well... You shouldn't have bought the Dboys scar :p I see broken ones WAAAAAY too often.

9. bludyknux

bludyknux New Member

So you're saying even if I upgrade and replace everything, it will still be crap?

10. commando5184

commando5184 New Member

1HR north of philly
    No, if you upgrade everything, it won't matter, what you bought is a shell and a few broken and stock parts.

200th post!!!

11. bludyknux

bludyknux New Member

Alright, thanks guys. This is my project gun, so I'll be posting pics on progress.

12. stat226

stat226 New Member

Limerick
    My dboys scar was out of commission for about 6 months, Now it is fixed and I kinda want it gone (maybe). Replace the piston, piston head, wiring, cylinder head, bushings, air nozzle (if you can find one with an o-ring), and spring. You'll also want to correct AOE, compression mods, reshim, relube, and polish the gearbox. As far as the hop up goes I'm in the same boat as you. I was thinking about the madbull ultimate hop up.

13. bludyknux

bludyknux New Member

Ya I can fix it up, it's just finding after markets is the problem.

14. bludyknux

bludyknux New Member

Ok guys, I'm going to need a lot of help with this. First, the stock wobbles to the point where I can't keep it locked down. Second, some of the screw are stripped, more towards the rails. Last, this god awful red tiger paint job. Thanks guys, this is gonna be a long one...

image-3809484431.jpg

image-2020875737.jpg

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  15. John_the_Tech

John_the_Tech New Member

Whew! You should've bought a VFC Scar. More expensive but totally worth it. But you definitely have a project gun here :p With few aftermarket parts made (in comparison to m4, and g36)

16. bludyknux

bludyknux New Member

I'll have to try. Externally I can have it painted no problem. Everything else, where would I look for parts? It's a V2 gearbox, what should I be looking into?

Btw I didn't buy a VFC because this was a $40 junker from a friend.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  17. John_the_Tech

John_the_Tech New Member

Haha everyone hate on me now!!! Airsplat.com has those Scars in their boneyard all the time... Usually like 50-60 bucks. Just swap necessary parts... If not... Airsoftgi and Evike sell a bunch of version2 parts.

18. bludyknux

bludyknux New Member

Ya sorry I'm new to upgrading, don't really know where to start

19. John_the_Tech

John_the_Tech New Member

You're alright man... We gotta start somewhere. Personally... I like GI because of their customer service, but Evike is cheaper. What Exactly are you planning on upgrading?

20. John_the_Tech

John_the_Tech New Member

You're alright man... We gotta start somewhere. What exactly do you want to upgrade?