Booby traps at airsoft games

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Ramzes, May 9, 2016.

1. Ramzes

Ramzes New Member

Seattle
    Hi comrades!

I'm new to US airsoft. Watching tons of youtubers playing airsoft I got impression that nobody uses booby traps made out of grenades. I also couldn't find any restrictions on using them in main milsim games rules.

Is there any known issue with using booby traps? What's your opinion on using booby traps on milsim/regular games? :confused:

2. bryanman

bryanman Member

Canada
    Fairly sure people do use booby traps like mines and tripwired grenades. However, most mines are fairly useless, or expensive and unreliable. Tripwired grenades (such as the specific thunder B) takes a fair amount of time to detonate. Aside from all this, if you aren't there to watch it happen, a lot of the time it encourages cheating and someone will simply not call the hit. And if you can see them, may as well shoot them.

3. Ramzes

Ramzes New Member

Seattle
    You can greatly benefit from them when you use them for defense.
    What I'm hearing is there's no issues using traps in games. Thanks :)

4. mikejosephman

mikejosephman Moderator Alligator Staff Member Moderator

Medieval England
    If you are referring to homemade things, then probably not.
    If you are talking about using airsoft impact/timer grenades in a matter
    not consistent with their intended use, then probably not.

Most if not all airsoft simulation grenades rely on Co2 or propane to "detonate".
    They are meant for distraction and surprise but not for use in extreme close proximity to a person.

A tripwire grenade could cause serious damage to a person(s)' hearing if it goes off
    right next to them. Or if you set up a sequence of them to go off at the same time.

Stay safe and just play with what's out there.

5. TheInfidel23

TheInfidel23 Resident Derp Supporting Member

Greenville
    It's always best practice to talk to game admin or field admin before doing anything out of the ordinary.

That said, traps are pretty pointless in most applications, for multiple reasons.

The first thing to understand is the very nature of traps. They're stationary, take time to set up, and require specific enemy player input to set off.

First, stationary. Unless fixed a places such as critical choke points, doorways, or inside divided buildings, there is no guarantee that players will set off the trap, or even go near it. Outside of close MOUT situations, most fields are designed with multiple paths of possible movement, even near important places. If objectives change, the game ends, or friendly units occupy the space, the trap becomes either useless or a liability.

Second, time consuming. Trip wires are notoriously hard and time consuming to set up, requiring considerable uninterrupted or noticed effort to effective secure. Additionally, mines must be buried. If prepared incorrectly, not only will the trap not activate as planned or wanted, but could be noticed and avoided immediately due to disturbed dirt, disturbed leaves or foliage, or interrupting a player on setup. Traps as in depth as trip wires and mines couldn't be reasonably deployed outside of events where at the minimum, game play lasts for hours, or days.

Third, specific input. Trip wire and mine setups require very specific type input in very small, defined windows to activate. This plays into the first point, as should this input be missed or improperly executed, the trap could misfire or simply not fire at all. The trap in most cases could also be completely and easily missed by chance.

Finally, manned traps are completely strategically pointless. A trophy kill is the sole reason for using one. If manning a trap, player scould simply use an airsoft gun to more quickly and far more effectively eliminate players with a far lower chance of failure.

TL:DR version, you're better off just using a gun. Traps are almost always ineffective, inefficient, and sometimes if not always, dangerous.

6. Ramzes

Ramzes New Member

Seattle
    I take an argument on traps safety. They definitely can hurt in case of unsafe deployment on the head level or where people can crawl.

In terms of usage, among lots of disadvantages (which are fair), you clearly pointed how you can benefit from tripwire grenades and mines. They're definitely situational and require careful thinking on their deployment but can save your 'life' on battlefield.

Summarizing everything said: booby traps seem to be not heavily regulated with airsoft rules. So, it's better to check usage with game organizers prior to event.

7. mikejosephman

Medieval England
    so, you basically took what we said, and sort of flipped it around but made no sense in the end.
    you asked the question, and Infi and myself answered it.

summary is: don't attempt to use them when you can just shoot somebody. that's why you have a gun.
    this isn't Rambo out in the woods against a posse of deputies.

8. Ramzes

Ramzes New Member

Seattle
    Thanks guys. Appreciate your comments!

What I was trying to say is that there are use cases for booby traps. My experience showed them useful in certain situations. And also there's no real reason not to use them when they're needed.

So thanks again, I believe my question is fully answered.
    Cheers

9. bryanman

bryanman Member

Canada
    Wait...what? From what I gathered, we all said we don't see the point to using traps, and that they are unpractical and can be unsafe. And then you said the opposite?

10. mikejosephman

Medieval England
    Just let him hurt somebody and get kicked from a field/charges filed.

Then I'm sure the "usefulness" of traps will prove itself quite well. ;)

11. CheckpointLima141

CheckpointLima141 Member

Gonzales

Tripwire thunder b's actually detonate fairly fast for the ones I have run into... Literally

12. Ramzes

Ramzes New Member

Seattle
    That fact that YOU don't see the point of using them doesn't mean there's no point at all :)
    I feel like you started attacking me thinking I don't have experience using them. So I do and I do see clear cases when they're useful for defensive purposes.

The only real issue I see right now is safety. This is true that they might hurt. Anyway it's better to check with event organizers.

13. mikejosephman

Medieval England
    I think overall we get the idea, from your stubborn ramblings, that you just aren't able to shoot somebody.

[​IMG]

14. Ramzes

Ramzes New Member

Seattle
    just prefer shoot, blow and slaughter. Just to be sure:)

15. Ramzes

Ramzes New Member

Seattle
    Actually let me probably put my vision on advantages of using tripwire grenades:

- Using them as an early warning systems. Works great at night or when not enough people to all ways to main base.
    - Securing potential breakout places (doorways, corridors etc). As result stopping enemy breakthrough.
    - Buffer security zone between defensive positions and enemy. This usually requires coordination from patroon leadership.
    - You can also greatly win some time when the squad needs to retreat.

Anyway, airsoft is not something special here comparing to regular military missions. Almost everywhere where you need booby traps in real life might work in airsoft as well. (if people call their hits :))

16. mikejosephman

Medieval England
    and yet again, you prove how clueless you are when it comes to squad based tactics.

like I said before, it's never some "one guy versus a whole gang" mentality.

you need a team to be effective and accomplish your goal, so booby traps are pointless.

Airsoft isn't Home Alone.

17. Ramzes

Ramzes New Member

Seattle
    It really depends on the squad mission, size and field situation. Of cause traps has nothing to do with tens of people rushing the base.

Looks like I have played some other airsoft :cool:

18. CheckpointLima141

CheckpointLima141 Member

Gonzales
    One entrance buildings that have capture flags in them (conquest style flags) is a great reason to have and use tripwire grenades. It's a CQB style field with juggernaut shields and small 8x8 one door buildings that have an approx. 10' intrusion zone around them, that, if a grenade lands inside (trip mines included) and it goes off everyone inside that ring is dead and has to go to respawn

19. covertslayer

covertslayer New Member

Aurora
    I want to toss in my 2 cents here and say that claymores are fantastic for defense games. Since booby traps are almost never used in airsoft, its essentially a guaranteed kill (or more if you're lucky to get a breaching team), it covers an undefended spot if necessary and you'll be close enough to ensure people call their hits. Plus with spring-activated claymores, once you have it set up, all you need to do is add bbs and reset the tripwire during a pause in the action.

And its an excellent aspect of psychological warfare. Enemies are much more timid when attacking when they might set off a booby trap. Not really sure why people are saying traps are a safety issue. It's the same as using a grenade for many mine-type devices.

20. TheInfidel23

TheInfidel23 Resident Derp Supporting Member

Greenville
    Un manned and unmonitered traps are dangerous because there's no judgment or discretion. It's a simple on/off. You as a player who is Cognizant of his actions is able to make judgment calls on engagement, whether the situation be freind vs foe, out vs in, game on vs game over, or any number of possibly dangerous or unessesary situations that are resolved by judgment.

A trap doesn't have that. End of discussion.

The same logic follows fields and organizations that have banned blind-firing. A player may be pulling the trigger, yes, but by not seeing the target directly, they may be endangering or over shooting other players at unknown distances or states. Blindfiring does not discriminate who gets hit. Traps don't either.

Last edited: May 12, 2016