Boogie Regulator Mods

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by yakantosh, Jun 8, 2015.

1. yakantosh

yakantosh New Member

Does anyone know of any modifications for the Smith Optics Boogie Regulators? I have heard that cutting vents in the foam seems to help a bit with fogging, but that this is usually fruitless since the foam tends to fall off. Would cutting and gluing your own foam pieces with spacing between them such as on these goggles help with ventilation? http://www.evike.com/products/40345/

2. TYSONtheSNIPER

TYSONtheSNIPER New Member

Edmonton
    Back when I ran my Boogies I did a few things to counter against fogging. I removed the vent at the top to allow a bit more airflow. I also did your above mentioned cutting of the foam in certain spots. The foam held up for a bit, but like you said eventually it started coming off in places. If I still used them, I probably would just glue it back in place.

Both of these things helped, but without a good antifog I'd still fog up after awhile. If you choose one, or both of these methods, I'd recommend Revision wipes. I find they cut the fog much better then other products I've used.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015

3. SOFLCS

SOFLCS Member

I would not recommend drilling into safety eyewear, never, never, NEVER. The force you use to make those slightly larger holes will not just limit itself to the local area, but spread over the entire surface being drilled in, in this case something protecting your eyes... Once you've drilled into them you've sacrificed the safety rating, they could still stop a bb, but why take that chance with your eyes. When it comes to eyewear there's a simple formula for fogging: fog=moisture+lack of ventilation+small area. Boogies are already, if poorly, ventilated. The inherent design of low profile goggles is their downfall, the small area for air to circulate, combined with external humidity and sweat, will cause fogging unless you get that air moving, by doing stuff like removing the foam, but once the foam is gone you've lost that seal. One thing you'll notice is that .mil users wearing boogies often have another pair of eyepro, like Oakley's, and are wearing them mostly during activities with high airflow, like jumping or sitting on a helicopter. You can try wipes, it's worked for me in the past, or the dish soap trick, but ultimately I would recommend just getting cheap, MIL rated, full size goggles like NVGs or Desert Locusts. They are inherently more fog proof than boogies.

4. TYSONtheSNIPER

TYSONtheSNIPER New Member

Edmonton
    Good call, never really saw it that way, but it makes sense. Gonna remove that from my post, don't want the chance of someone getting hurt because of something they read here.