Broken dust cover catch

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by RarestPepechu, Apr 21, 2017.

1. RarestPepechu

RarestPepechu New Member

Las Vegas
    Recently I had bought a used Dboys M4 and it turns out that its been used a lot more than was described, too late for a refund, but I need to fix two problems; One: The gun only shoots auto regardless of which mode the selector is on, I dont know whether its the selector plate or the cutoff lever and idk if i should just replace both. Second: my dust cover catch broke in two and i cant manage to get it to stick together with glue so i need to find a replacement part but i havent had much luck. Any help would be great, or if its too much for a beginner, a suggestion to stop penny pinching and just get it repaired professionally. Thanks all.

2. Hangtight

Hangtight Well-Known Member

The first problem is probably a combination of the cutoff lever and the trigger shuttle, or the tiny spring that sits between the selector and the cutoff lever is missing. If the selector is worn then it'll usually still be full auto when you switch from full to semi, but revert to semi when switching from safe.
    I can get the cover release plates in the UK, so you should be able to find them in the States. :)

3. CNCist

CNCist Member

San Diego
    Just flip the spring of the dust cover. Problem solved.

ETA
    put some tape as a pull tab so you can easily adjust your hop-up

Hangtight answered that problem pretty well. There should be youtube videos on that subject

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  4. Hangtight

Flipping the spring to hold the cover shut is a good quick fix, but it'll drive you nuts if you want to adjust the hop while you're wearing gloves. Unless you don't mind having the piece of tape flapping around. ;)

5. BoogerMc

BoogerMc Airsoft Jedi Master Supporting Member

Akron
  6. RarestPepechu

RarestPepechu New Member

Las Vegas
    Thanks all, but i really want to change the parts myself if possible, but it seems like something i could easily mess up and i cant find any good videos doing the whole process, only ones of deconstruction of the gearbox and when the gearbox is all apart, any good guides for installing the stuff?

7. BoogerMc

Akron
    The dust cover is held in place by a long pin, and that pin is held in place by and E-clip. You can either remove the clip and slide the pin out, or disassemble the barrel assembly and slide it out that way without removing the clip.

8. Hangtight

It's not the cover that's the problem, rather the plastic extension that's attached to the cocking handle and releases the dust cover. Easy fix and last of the worries.

First thing is to identify the semi /auto problem. Remove the upper receiver and take a look at the top edge of the selector. You should be able to see the cutoff lever poking out through a little slot. Check that there is a tiny spring trapped between the lug on the selector and the end of the cutoff lever. If you're unsure what you're looking for I'll try and find a pic.

9. Hangtight

[​IMG]

See the spring where it's marked 'Cutoff lever'?

10. BoogerMc

Akron
    When he stated catch, I thought he meant the little tab that locks the cover closed because they have a bad habit of breaking or wearing out.