Buffer Tube Spacer

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by OutlawAirsoft, Nov 23, 2020.

1. OutlawAirsoft

OutlawAirsoft Member

Hamilton
    Hey guys, this is my first thread here, so bear with me.
    I was messing around with a rear wired G&P AR15 the other day (rewiring, adding mosfet, etc.), and couldn't fit the custom mosfets that I build in it anywhere. After some consideration, I made this:
    KIMG0216.JPG
    Sorry that it's blurry, I took the picture with my sucky phone camera.
    Essentially, it is a piece of 1'' steel conduit cut so that it fits as a spacer in the buffer tube between the washer and the receiver/gearbox. It gives the mosfet plenty of room inside the buffer tube, out of view, and out of the way of trying to remove/install the buffer tube.
    Here is a diagram showing the exact location and use of the buffer spacer:
    Buffer Spacer Pic..png
    What do you guys think? Is there another easier or simpler solution?

aotsukisho likes this.
  2. Ben3721

Ben3721 Active Member

The first thing I wanted to jump to say is keeping the washer and bolt as forward as possible being ideal, but i see by having it back to a set amount it allows to use the space closer to the gearbox for the mosfet that would be lost otherwise. Very interesting. What mosfet are you able to fit there?

3. OutlawAirsoft

OutlawAirsoft Member

Hamilton
    I put in a custom-made mosfet, very simple, durable, but bulky. The space available is quite large, but you have to deal with the bolt running down the middle.

4. OutlawAirsoft

OutlawAirsoft Member

Hamilton
    The idea behind this is that if you hard-wire the mosfet and try to remove the buffer tube to access the gearbox you wouldn't be able to. At least with the gun that I was working with you wouldn't be able to fit the washer in or take it out with the mosfet in the way. This puts the mosfet on the gearbox side of the washer, and yet allows you to tighten the buffer tube down.

5. aotsukisho

aotsukisho Well-Known Member

Very elegant solution, this will also allow 'modern' short-post buffer tubes to fit on older Marui-spec long-post lowers.