Building An SPR/DMR

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by CasaNOVA_Fly, Nov 24, 2015.

1. CasaNOVA_Fly

CasaNOVA_Fly New Member

Hello everybody! I'm new to the forums, but I have some experience with airsofting. I'll go straight to the topic.

I'm building an SPR, or a DMR, whatever you wish. The base is a CM16 of mine that I don't use anymore. I'm looking at an M150 spring, 12:1 gears, a Type-0 cylinder and cylinder head, a new 15 tooth piston and mushroom piston head, and an air nozzle for the gearbox.

I'm planning to put a 455mm 6.01 Angel Custom inner, either a Prowin or Lonex hop up unit, either a G&G green or Lonex 70 Degree bucking, and an Angel Custom plastic H-nub.

(Of course I'll be getting a new outer and rail)

I'm getting SHS and Lonex parts for the internals and I'm looking to score everything for $450-$500.

Is there anything else I'm missing? Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

(After I build it, I'll test it and add to this thread or maybe make a new thread for the results and updates)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  2. NeoAugAU-3G

NeoAugAU-3G Active Member

Las Vegas
    dont get angel custom anything for an aeg.
    combat machines need a lot of gutting to work up to dmr specs. dont get a mushroom piston head, use sorbo, better motor and battery aren't on your list, nor are diy mods. do you have bushings or bearings? bearings wont hold up to a strong spring.

3. CasaNOVA_Fly

CasaNOVA_Fly New Member

I also got a madbull to test the AC against. I ended up using an M120 because my field limit is 400, so I got a flat piston head. I also got a new SHS motor

4. Swift17

Swift17 Member

Brunswick
    G&G gearbox shells aren't the strongest so it's a possibility that it will crack under high stress like a dmr build especially if you plan to use it in cold weather
    If it's not too late I'd recommend getting a retro arms piston head, it gives amazing seal and the best head I have ever used
    You could even get a Lonex drop in gearbox and you would only have to do a little work to it
    For SHS motor did you get the ht motor?
    And for barrel set up look into r hops if you haven't already

5. CasaNOVA_Fly

CasaNOVA_Fly New Member

Yeah, I'm looking into the Lonex gearbox and maybe a Spectre MOSFET. I already purchased the Lonex piston head *shrug* and I got the high speed motor. I'm planning to test everything to see the stock distance before I flat hop the G&G bucking

6. Swift17

Swift17 Member

Brunswick
    Don't get me wrong, Lonex piston heads are still one of the best, I'm just saying I personally prefer Retro Arms
    A Spectre or Chimera, they are hard to find but if you do find one you wont be disappointed
    They have V3 Chimera's at tiger tactical
    http://tigertacticalairsoft.com/blacktalonconcepts-chimera-mkii-mosfet-gearbox-p-3894.html
    All you would need is a V2 trigger board and you would be set, Thats what I did and works perfectly
    Would have been better off getting the SHS HT motor and not the speed motor for a DMR build, the HT motor would give you instant trigger response and would still have a good rof
    Also look into r hops, they are way better than all other options including flat hops, however flat hops are still better than normal

7. CheckpointLima141

CheckpointLima141 Member

Gonzales
    Nice stuff
    I'd love to build my own DMR so this gives really good info

8. CasaNOVA_Fly

CasaNOVA_Fly New Member

I ended up getting an M120 and an M110 spring since my field has a 400fps limit, and yes, I'm looking at a Spectre V2 for the MOSFET and a SPEED trigger

9. Swift17

Swift17 Member

Brunswick
    This guy is selling a used spectre
    http://www.airsoftsociety.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123892
    You can look on eBay as well or just wait for whenever they come back into stock

You do realize the chimera is also by BTC and is pretty much the same as a spectre but instead of the computer unit being inside the gun it is on the outside

10. CheckpointLima141

CheckpointLima141 Member

Gonzales
  11. CasaNOVA_Fly

CasaNOVA_Fly New Member

I do, but I vastly prefer an internal MOSET

12. Kwebersole

Kwebersole New Member

Lititz
    Great thread, looking to do my own build soon.......POST SOME PICS

13. CasaNOVA_Fly

CasaNOVA_Fly New Member

Once the rest of my parts come I will :D

14. Swift17

Swift17 Member

Brunswick
    What do you plan to do for externals?

15. CasaNOVA_Fly

CasaNOVA_Fly New Member

New rail, outer barrel and mock suppressor, new stock and buffer tube

16. Deathnote_Airsoft

Deathnote_Airsoft New Member

never go tighter than a 6.03 for inner barrels, it won't allow enough air volume to go around the bb to accelerate it. also it might hit the sides and screw with your aim. if you can, get a magic box miracle barrel, they're pricey but well worth it those things are what they're named

17. Tactical_Skittles

Tactical_Skittles Active Member

Moscow
    Are you sure about this?

I've read many articles encouraging wider bores for accuracy. The logic behind a wider bore is that there is a lower chance of the BB hitting the sides of the barrel, creating a smoother flight path. However few AEGs can put out the volume necessary to make this work, which is why wide bores are more of an HPA thing.

OP, you should look into flat hopping or r-hopping your gun, and definitely increase your BB weight.

18. Kwebersole

Kwebersole New Member

Lititz
    Definitely flat hop your bucking, or get a flat hop kit and then if you want more range use the same kit and just add a r-hop patch

19. Deathnote_Airsoft

Deathnote_Airsoft New Member

exactly, the miracle barrels I think are like 6.05-6.07 or something, but they have a lot of accuracy because the volume of air in the barrel keeps accelerating the bb. if he's using an aeg, and not HPAing his DMR, then a 6.04 or 6.03 would be best, unless his cylinder gives him an ungodly amount of air to push down the barrel, which shouldn't be longer than 509mm for an AEG. but yeah I agree with you, and I assumed he's doing an AEG setup, which is why I recommended the miracle barrels, wider bore for decreasing hits against the barrel

20. Rushin

Rushin Well-Known Member

Kalamazoo
    I'm pretty sure most miracle barrels are 6.01, and I believe the best barrel length, according to TM, would be their VSR-10 length barrels which is 450mm or so, if I remember correctly, but you're definitely right on the other stuff.

6.01: Good groupings/accuracy at close range

6.03 good accuracy at longer ranges.