Featured C-21, Canada airsoft ban.

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by Ben3721, Feb 21, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Ben3721

Ben3721 Active Member

So a bill has been proposed to end airsoft in Canada if you guys aren't aware.
    I'm from the US so I'm not sure how it will affect me besides it hurting retailers and manufacturers some. There is a chance however that upon seeing Canada ban the sport that some US lawmakers might get some new fancy ideas. But only time will tell.

Does anyone know any more of the background story or motives behind this bill?

2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis

3. BeansOnToast

BeansOnToast Active Member

Seattle
    I saw a picture of the big guy behind C-21 at a paintball place and the joke was he got beat so bad that now he's getting rid of paintball/airsoft. Really helpful, I know.

Kind of sucks though that a lot of my favorite youtubers will disappear

4. Ben3721

Ben3721 Active Member

That website link in that forum is pretty good. Explains everything pretty well.

However i still don't see the motive of the bill tho, back when they tried to ban it in some US states including mine there was shootings related to airsoft that got highlighted.

I feel like the main struggle of airsoft is the public view it gets compared to the reality of the sport.
    Everyone knows what paintball is, but airsoft, the perception is young kids running around with cheap walmart guns openly around the street. Or they think that our replicas are for hunting small animals for some reason, and then to tell them no, its actually for skirmishes... it just doesn't come off right.
    I've actually been called out before for my vest having a couple patches on it by a extended family member, they assumed I was some sort of stolen Valor looser with fake "medals" on my vest. I basically told them they had no idea what they are talking about and left it at that. Most my family and my gf's family understands the hobby much more clearly.

I don't understand why people step into others business when it has no impact on their personal life.

aotsukisho likes this.
  5. BeansOnToast

BeansOnToast Active Member

Seattle

6. GrimWolf0770

GrimWolf0770 Member

Pittsburgh area
    Oh look more insanity...... Soon gun will just be a dirty word nothing more...

7. GrimWolf0770

GrimWolf0770 Member

Pittsburgh area
    • In my area of the world most of the time bans have to do with dumb teens doing dumb things with airsoft guns or dumb teens getting shot by cops. People think airsoft are nothing more than toys buy them on Amazon for little Timmy dumb s*** , then wonder why Timmy is dead after he points it at passersby.

8. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    It all comes down to training and experience. Sadly...many LEO's are not trained very well and experience is minimal. Especially when kids "remove" the orange, it's even harder for some to tell.

I had a situation once, where I answered a call about a kid playing with a BB gun in public. My FTO wanted us to respond with guns drawn. We did.

Then I found the kid in the back alley way and saw the "bb" gun.

I immediately holstered and my FTO was aghast. I took the bb gun away and we finished the call. He asked me in private what did I see in that kid's hands? I said I saw a KWC replica of a Walther P99...then I showed him the pistol with the KWC markings and then the real P99 on a web browser back at the station...he didn't know what to say...I tossed the bb gun in the trunk and forgot about it.

Then when shift change came...the next team got in a tizzy about leaving a "firearm" in the trunk.

I apologized and mentioned that it was a toy pistol...took them a moment to realize it after they picked it up and examined it "closely".

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  9. GrimWolf0770

GrimWolf0770 Member

Pittsburgh area
    I don't think orange tips do anything imo... Like the cop that live down the block said" any dumb s*** can paint a Guns tip.

In some ways the orange is the problem , airsoft guns look like toy with them on yet most BB and pellet guns do not. Look at some of the revolvers in the usa BB revolver no tip, airsoft revolver of same make dose. Why cuz one shoots plastic?

10. GrimWolf0770

GrimWolf0770 Member

Pittsburgh area
    Only one thing to do! Invade Canada:)

BeansOnToast likes this.
  11. OutlawAirsoft

OutlawAirsoft Member

Hamilton
    Not necessarily true. People said this about guns long ago, and now just look at California...

Airsoft is the next logical weak spot for these guys.

12. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    CA put on restrictions...but it's not banned. Two very different things.

Plus CA is just a State restriction and it's not at the Federal level.

13. ERICTHEROJO

ERICTHEROJO Member

chicago
    I might be missing something, but as the law reads, it has that magic word: "and".
    It has to resemble a real firearm, and have a muzzle velocity of at least 500 feet per second. Reduced muzzle velocity would make the airgun compliant. If I remember correctly, that's why TM guns were all sub 300F.P.S.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2021
  14. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    TM's would not get into Canada. They don't shoot 366+ FPS (and under 500fps).

And a little bit of History for you folks. Back in the 1990s. Airsoft was imported into Canada with no restrictions. Then in 1998 all importation was banned. But, what was already in country was allowed to be "kept". Then in 2004, the ban was lifted and it could be imported as an Airgun if it fired between 366-500FPS with .20g bbs.

Remember Canada is a Sovereign Nation...what they do in their country has no bearing on what happens in the USA.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  15. ERICTHEROJO

ERICTHEROJO Member

chicago
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. I wasn't saying TM's, or any other company could import to Canada. I was talking about how a company like TM kept it's lights on the in the face of Japanese law. The muzzle velocity could not exceed 0.98 joules. I wondered if Canadian shops might find a similar loophole. That's all.

Canada is a sovereign nation. But they have had legal weed and universal healthcare for some time now. The concern is that our lawmakers will follow suit.

16. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Legalizing Weed isn't a bad thing...IMHO.... No worse than tobacco, alcohol and vape pens...

Government Health Care isn't bad either. For I am tired of paying other peoples medical bills. Care for the macro view on this and how each one of us is paying for ER visits for other people? I can create a OT discussion and how this has been a burden for you and me for anyone that pays county taxes.

17. ERICTHEROJO

ERICTHEROJO Member

chicago
    Not taking a stance on either of the topics, just pointing out that our neighbors to the north have made changes that our legislators liked, and made efforts to do likewise. They require headlights on all motor vehicles to be on, all the time. Now, we have "daytime running lights". Not an American legal requirement, but also not an option you can forego on a new car. I just don't think that because Canada is a separate country makes 100% safe. But, I have been wrong before.

18. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    DRL wasn't a government mandate...it was originated by GM to minimize productions costs in 1990

"General Motors, interested in reducing the build variations of cars for the North American market, petitioned the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in 1990 to permit (but not require) US vehicles to be equipped with DRLs like those in Canada.[25] NHTSA objected on grounds of the potential for high-intensity DRLs to create problems with glare and turn signal masking, and issued a proposed rule in 1991 that specified a maximum intensity of 2,600 cd.[25] Industry and safety watchdogs reacted to the proposed rule,[25] and eventually the glare objections were set aside and most of the same types of DRLs allowed in Canada were permitted but not required effective with the 1995 model year.[25] General Motors immediately equipped most (and, in following years, all) of its vehicles with DRLs beginning with the Chevrolet Corsica. Saab, Volkswagen, Volvo, Suzuki and Subaru gradually introduced DRLs in the U.S. market beginning in 1995. In recent years, Lexus has installed high-beam or turn signal based DRLs on US models. Some Toyota models come with DRLs as standard or optional equipment, and with a driver-controllable on/off switch. Starting in the 2006 model year, Honda began equipping their U.S. models with DRLs, mostly by reduced-intensity operation of the high beam headlamps."