Camo Effectiveness

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by DFA_Tomcat, Sep 29, 2012.

1. DFA_Tomcat

DFA_Tomcat New Member

Overland Park
    Hey guys! I just got back from an airsoft skirmish and I need some help. I was trying to do recon with my friend, but I think my camo gave me away. It is a grassy woodland enviorment, and I'm wearing a wood land BDU and OD gear. Its a pretty good setup, but I need to know some more effective camos. Please keep it simple. No Russian, (or otherwise) expensive camos please.

2. DFA_Wulf

DFA_Wulf New Member

Overland Park
    It was soooo easy to see you through the treeline. When you didn't move it was diffcult, but when you did I could see you very clear.

3. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    Woodland is quite dark in color. In a light forest environment, Woodland can stand out as if you were wearing black. I suggest looking into A-Tacs fg or Multicam if woodland is too dark.

4. DFA_Tomcat

DFA_Tomcat New Member

Overland Park
    Yeah, do you think Marpat would be good?

5. paratrooper

paratrooper New Member

I'd look at A-TACs FG or Tiger Stripe. A-TACs is lighter but works great.

6. Hartman96

Hartman96 New Member

Woodville
    What? No. Tiger stripe is WAY TOO dark. If he need something lighter deffinately not TS.

7. paratrooper

paratrooper New Member

Well then I say A-TACs I have a jacket they are pretty lightly colored.

8. Hartman96

Hartman96 New Member

Woodville
    In a different thread you said you ran flektarn.

9. Phillies2406

Phillies2406 New Member

I think he has a couple different set ups.

10. paratrooper

paratrooper New Member

I do but I have a lot of Camo. I said I have an A-TACs not that I run it.

11. Hartman96

Hartman96 New Member

Woodville
    Ok, gatcha. My bad. :)

12. paratrooper

paratrooper New Member

At uoarmory.com they have some decent deals on A-TACs FG if you are interested.

13. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    It would help if you had pictures of the field, but in general if woodland is too dark then Multicam is a great option. A-TACS FG isn't bad either if your field has a lot of light greens. MARPAT isn't much lighter than M81 woodland, so it's like too dark as well. Tiger Stripe is also pretty dark, darker than woodland and MARPAT by quite a bit, so you can pretty much pass on that.

It's also possible that you were in a position that camo just wouldn't help. Depending on wjere you were, where your opponents were, how the light was hitting you, how you were moving, and half a dozen other things, there may have been no hiding.

14. paratrooper

paratrooper New Member

Knief could be right you might want to have another skirmish at the same time and place and see if it happens again.

15. DFA_Tomcat

DFA_Tomcat New Member

Overland Park
    Ok, it might be a while, but I'll try.

16. DFA_Tomcat

DFA_Tomcat New Member

Overland Park
    after rethinking, does anyone know where I can get some marpat? (doesnt have to be real marines stuff.)

17. Bulldawg26

Bulldawg26 Active Member

Atlanta
    Google Tru Spec MARPAT or Propper MARPAT. Also a lot of local Army-Navy stores will carry it.

18. Grin

Grin New Member Lifetime Supporter

Irvine
    Propper is the best brand for replica desert digital uniforms, and you can pick up real MARPAT for cheaper probably at your local surplus store. Of course, I live in SOCAL relatively close to Pendleton so my marine gear is a bit cheaper.

19. DFA_Tomcat

DFA_Tomcat New Member

Overland Park
    All right! Thanks a bunch guys next time I will stalk through the woods like slenderman!

20. TheCaptainAlmighty

TheCaptainAlmighty New Member

Gallifrey
    And begin my nightmares. I suggest real MARPAT, because its more effective, and durable. There's a reason there are rip offs, if it sucked, there wouldn't be replicas, and it wouldn't be effective.