Can I just use silicone oil and grease to re grease my gearbox?

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by AznMunkay, Aug 24, 2012.

1. AznMunkay

AznMunkay New Member

Providence
    I'm going to re grease my gearbox today for the first time and what I have on me right now is silicone oil and grease, will they work at all? If so, which do I use to lube the parts of the gearbox.
    Sorry, the grease is not silicone it's Polyurea grease, will that work?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  2. NiteStalker

NiteStalker New Member

lincoln
    Just a little of Grease for the Gearbox Nomore then that.To much will make it nasty in side.Silicone oil Is for just to keep it Lube in between games Always keep your Guns Clean

3. AznMunkay

AznMunkay New Member

Providence
    But is Polyurea grease ok?

4. L5132

L5132 New Member

Duluth
    Pick up some white lithium grease. I'm sure what you have will work, but most people do use white lithium. I mix the grease with a little bit of silicone oil, and it works great.

5. AznMunkay

AznMunkay New Member

Providence
    Ok I picked up some White Lithium grease from the nearby auto shop, time to get greasing :)

6. hammerhead

hammerhead New Member

Niceville
    I use a pure silicone oil for rc car shocks. Wouldn't exceed the 20 or 22.5 weight though. Telson grease is good in the gearbox as well. Still a little goes a long way.

7. connor357

connor357 New Member

Johannessburg
    hey
    can i use regular hardware store silicon based oil for my gearbox and internals or do i have to use grease?
    thanks

8. BoogerMc

BoogerMc Airsoft Jedi Master Supporting Member

Akron
    Generally, no. Most of these contain additives that will damage plastic parts inside the gearbox. Use only 100% pure silicone oil. If it comes in a spray can, read the contents, ensure there are no petroleum based products or propellants. Nitrogen is an acceptable propellant, but propane should be avoided for gearboxes.

9. crankestein

crankestein New Member

I agree, although I use Traxxas pure silicone used for 1/8 nitro buggy front and rear diffs, lightest one. Only a small amount applied with a Q-tip, no problems with a 13:1, high speed motor, 7.4v lipo. Mine is set for CQB, 270fps, 100M spring, Sorbo, AoE.

If it can hold the power of Nitro of a .28 Big Block motor reaching 40 + mph, its more than enough for a Airsoft GB.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  10. hammerhead

hammerhead New Member

Niceville
    Yup. I love it. A tech buddy of mine was teaching me aeg teching since i was a gbb tech and didn't do batteries. Now i love that stuff

11. L5132

L5132 New Member

Duluth
    The issue with just the shock oil, especially the light stuff, is that the airsoft gearbox isn't sealed, so it doesn't stay quite as well. A lot of people I know mix white lithium and shock oil, and that works well.

12. hammerhead

hammerhead New Member

Niceville
    Teflon grease on gears, silicone grease on seals and o rings