Can this S&T TAR21 handle heavy upgrades?

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by yashamalu, Oct 10, 2012.

1. yashamalu

yashamalu New Member

Worcester
    Hi guys, can this S&T TAR-21(Metal Gearbox) handle heavy upgrades? I need to increase the velocity to almost 400FPS and hit chest size, or head size if possible, target at 150 feet. Also I wonder if it can install 9.6V battery without removing the battery box and without adding additional battery box? By the way, do you guys have any recommended upgrade plan?
    Please share your knowledge, thanks!

http://www.airrattle.com/S_T_TAR_21_Metal_Gearbox_AEG_Airsoft_Gun_TAN_p/staeg10mtan-upgrade.htm

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  2. BwKoolG3y

BwKoolG3y New Member

I dont recomend air rattle i read alot of reviews and they said that customer service is horrible and the guns came broken. Just about everyone said that.

3. yashamalu

yashamalu New Member

Worcester
    Not sure about that. I sent them two emails asking lots of questions and they replied in details. The point is, there are negative comments about every sites. Anyway, wish me luck!

4. BlueReaper46

BlueReaper46 New Member

Replying in Detail=/=Good site. Try Airsoft GI.

5. MR38

MR38 New Member

Washington
    Yes you can do every thing that you want it to do with two simple upgrades. First use it's quick change spring system and put in a M120 spring for the 400fps. Next you would need to upgrade the hop-up bucking to increase distance and accuracy to over 150ft, although mine was very close to doing that stock. Finally yes the Tar can fit a 9.6v nunchuck battery without any modification.

6. Blades

Blades New Member

^ This guy knows his stuff. I also have a Tar you'll love it. Accuracy objective= replace the hopup bucking like he said (madbull works fine) and if that doesn't give you the results you want you can take it a step farther with a precision tightbore such as Madbull on a budget or Prometheus for performance (shouldn't be necessary for 150ft, only the bucking). If you do get a tightbore you'll enjoy the long barrel of the bullpup design because mine has a long 509mm barrel and performance is now fantastic.

7. yashamalu

yashamalu New Member

Worcester
    It's really comforting to hear that someone is happy about it. By the way, is your tar21 $200 or $400? Just to make sure we are talking about the same gun cause the $400 one is of course of great quality.

8. Blades

Blades New Member

Mine is the $400 ARES tar, the guy above has the $200 S&T tar. Mine is fantastic, built very solid, can't even begin to describe how well built it is. The trigger pull is very similar to a magpul masada, being very defined and quiet, with no piston slap or similar noises you hear in a lower end gun, and with no rattle at all if you shake the living daylights out of it. It won't break or crack at all after being dropped, either. The drawback though is the price (it's definitely worth it in the long run) and the fact that they are getting more and more rare.
    But PM the guy above me he can definitely talk you into the S&T, he swears its a good alternative.

9. MR38

MR38 New Member

Washington
    It is a good alternative I and with a few upgrades can out preform the Ares Tavor. Like we've said go with upgrading the bucking spring and barrel. Later I recommend upgrading the motor and its gear set.

10. Blades

Blades New Member

There you go. I will admit that if you can get an Ares for under $300 (like I did) the Ares is a much, much better long term option (not hating on the S&T, but if you have the money and have long term expectations, it is a much smarter move). The S&T is a great budget gun, but try and add up how much you will have to put into the gearbox if you are looking at going through hundreds of thousands of rounds. That price will be more than I payed for my Ares, and I threw a Prometheus Tightbore and madbull bucking and my gun is stock (except for barrel and bucking obviously) and it is seriously outranging my friend's DMR (M14).

So moral of the story: if you can find an Ares for under $300, and you have the money, you will be extremely impressed. Quality is on a whole new level internally and externally (because the gun is more than double the price, which is what you would expect). Once again, not hating on the S&T, just telling you how it is, one of my teammates has the S&T and I have the Ares.

If you have less than that: upgrade the hell out of your S&T. Tavors are a blast and don't get heavy after a long day of play because the weight sits in your shoulder so it feels like it disappears. Either way you will be impressed with your tavor with each option because they are both a great deal (get one used, not retail). Have fun!

11. MR38

MR38 New Member

Washington
    I agree if you can I would go for a Ares if you can find one for around $300 but it is not easy. But are both great gun for the right price. I would also try to find a S&T for under $160 like I did, or even find a lightly used or "preowned" one for around $120.

12. Blades

Blades New Member

Amen, I will say that I waited for about for about 3 months to buy my tar and it was the deal of a lifetime for a brand new gun, probably not practical to bank on a deal like that. I've seen an S&T floating around on a midwestern classified for $100, if I end up finding it I'll post a link on here. With that, the cheaper the gun is, the more upgrading potential you have.