CB Loadout Assistance.

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by SeanG, Aug 27, 2012.

1. SeanG

SeanG New Member

Bakersfield
    I'm currently "upgrading" (i.e. replacing the crap starter gear I currently have for better/longer lasting gear) my loadout and would like any feedback/assistance I can get on the matter. Before anyone asks what my budget is, there isn't one. However, I will be buying these items piece-meal so as to not have the wifey kickin my butt.

I kinda hopped in somone else's thread and was directed to make a thread of my own. So here I am. Here's what I plan on getting so far:

I chose CB for it's multi-use ability since the team I plan on joining here soon uses either Desert Digi or Woodland Digi (I'd call it MARPAT but most of them don't have the real thing) depending on the time of year and where they are playing. Am still on the fence whether or not I want to use Flyye's CB or their Khaki.

Flyye MOLLE RRV Vest - Coyote Brown

Flyye MBSS Hydration Backpack - Coyote Brown

Flyye Duty Belt With Security Buckle - Coyote Brown

Flyye Single Point Sling - Coyote Brown
    *Definitely going with a single point sling, but not sure if I want this one or the new MS3 Sling from MagPul.

Right now I'm down to picking out pouches.
    1 Flyye MOLLE Double M4/M16 Mag Pouch and 2 Flyye MOLLE Single M16 Mag Pouch

Flyye Medical First Aid Kit Pouch - Coyote Brown

Flyye MBITR Radio Pouch FLAP

Flyye Magazine Drop Pouch

Flyye MOLLE Accessories Pouch,

Flyye MOLLE SAF Admin panel,

Flyye MOLLE Canteen Pouch,

2 or 3 Flyye MOLLE Single 9mm Mag Pouch Ver.FE

I'm sure there are others, just can't think of them off the top of my head right now.

Two last questions;

1.) How well will the Flyye CB match any of the USMC issued CB gear I have (have a couple FireForce 5.56mmx45 mag pouches, and a CSM dump pouch, and a couple other misc EI pouches);

2.) All of this WILL not be purchased at the same time so which would be the best items to get first?

*Edit*
    ESS Profile NVG Goggles - Tan Just picked up a pair of these off of Ebay for $18.65 including S&H. Can't complain there.

Black Bear Airsoft Stalker Style Shadow Mesh Mask Brown Lower mesh mask I plan on using with my ESS goggles.

*Edit*
    KSC M9 Hardkick FULL METAL GBB Pistol (SYSTEM 7)

BLACKHAWK! LEVEL 2 TACTICAL SERPA HOLSTER

*Edit*
    Outdoor Research Firemark Gloves

Fiberglass MICH TC-2000 Helmet BLACK w/ a G&P U.S.A. Type Night Vision Mount (New Model) (Black)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  2. TheCaptainAlmighty

TheCaptainAlmighty New Member

Gallifrey
    The Hakkotsku Iron Face is a good mask. It just needs some shaving and modifying on the nose piece to get it more comfortable. but its already good. Your Flyye CB is great with anything else, Flyye usually has more on par colors that other companies, like Pantac.

3. Mikeinator

Mikeinator New Member

Northern VA (no more info, someone might find me...)
    Just search around eHobbyasia or tiger111hk. They have all if the good gear at a great price, and sometimes shipping isn't too bad. I've used both and recommend them highly.

4. Thatguyoverthere1111

Thatguyoverthere1111 New Member

Mandeville
    Everything looks good. A lot of the stuff you're asking about is based in personal preference, although not having an RRV I really can't answer some of them.

5. SeanG

SeanG New Member

Bakersfield
    Toying around with GIMP and a few photos I've found around the web I'm trying to see how the RRV will look using the Tru-Spec Combat Shirt as a background. I believe the Flyye RRV that I have an image of is in Khaki (correct me if I'm wrong).

Woodland Digital & RRV
    [​IMG]

Desert Digital & RRV
    [​IMG]

Multicam & RRV
    [​IMG]

I wish I could find one that is in Flyye's true CB color so that I could compare them to the colors I will be wearing, but this may help other's who are looking at Flyye's khaki gear.

6. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    The Hakkotsu Iron Face needs constant adjusting and comes loose in the most inopportune times. You also have to modify the straps just so they'll stay on.

7. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    You're on the right track for sure. Go with CB over khaki or a MARPAT(ish) heavy loadout. CB is what's issued in the Marines, so you'll look more authentic. In fact, you're essentially going right for a FSBE II kit. With a couple of the right pouch choices, you'd have the beginnings of a Force Recon impression. If that tickles your fancy, I'd be happy to help point you in the right direction.

For your pack, the slim hydration pouch will be a lot harder to rig into your vest. The RRV doesn't have any webbing on the back, so you can't just weave it in as though you had a full PC. The MAP (what FLYYE calls the "MBSS backpack," it's a reproduction of the EI Modular Assault Pack) is much easier to hook up. It just takes a couple of zip ties or electrical tape and you're good to go.

For mag pouches, that's going to be personal preference. But I will say this, your space on the RRV is a bit limited. You've got 16 columns of webbing, and if you run a shingle you're only stacking mags 1 deep across 6 of them. It would be more economical to run 2 of these (http://www.shootercbgear.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_50_80_98&products_id=762) and 1 of these (http://www.shootercbgear.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_50_80_98&products_id=764) to get to 8 mags. You'll use a total of 8 columns, which is about the best you're going to do. You can still slap the admin panel on your upper chest, and it leaves you 4 columns of webbing on each side of your mags for utility and radio pouches.

FLYYE's IFAK is a pretty decent size. Here it is on my EPC:

[​IMG]

It's the one with the big cross on it (durr). Definitely large enough to carry whatever you might need to carry.

8. SeanG

SeanG New Member

Bakersfield
    As much as doing a reproduction of a USMC loadout sounds appealing, I'm more looking for what will work better (during field ops and CQB) than reproducing what our men and women are wearing overseas. *Plus they're pretty much told what they can and can't have, whereas here I get to choose what works BEST for the Situation.

As far as the Shingle goes, my thoughts were to have it take up the front 6, with either 2 of the single or 1 of the double on top using the shingle's molle (would give me a total of 7+1) with spare molle left on the shingle for maybe a M9 mag or something. For the radio I planned on putting it in the back on the right side of the MAP so that it's accessible yet not taking up valuable real estate on the front of the rig.

The Flyye MOLLE Accessories Pouch I was planning to have dropped off the bottom molle in the front. Ease of access as well as a semi-groin protector.

Any help you are willing to give Knief, I'm more than willing to take. One last thing, in regards to the ESS, was that a good choice? I wear glasses and I saw that those are able to get Rx inserts in them, but was torn between those and looking for a pair of Bolle's.

*Edit*
    Anyone heard good/bad reviews in regards to the "James Weekend Worrior Neoprene Hard Foam Mask"? That's what I was planning on going with, but not 100% sure yet.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  9. Knief

Ann Arbor
    ESS goggles are a solid choice. I don't know anything about their Rx inserts. My guess is they cost a pretty penny, but I've never looked into it myself.

I generally advice against stacking large mag pouches on top of shingles. Every step you take away from the vest, you lose some structure and rigidity. Hanging a mag pouch on the front of a shingle is going to drag it down. It will also inhibit your ability to grab mags from the open top shingle quickly, which is sort of the point of the open top pouch in the first place. And finally, it will just be really bulky. Three mags and a few layers of cordura sticks out quite a bit. You could stack one shingle on top of the other if you wanted. It'd keep you just two mags deep and leave your mags a bit more accessible.

10. SeanG

SeanG New Member

Bakersfield
    As far as the Rx inserts are I can get them from ESS's site for $30 P-2B Rx Insert and then getting my optometrist to fill the prescription for me just as they would a pair of glasses. Or I could get my prescription from my doctor and give it to ESS and they'll fill it for me. Either way I'm looking at about $120 total (which isn't extremely expensive, but isn't cheap either. However, when it comes to my eyes I don't skimp on protection).

Ok back to the mags... If I stack two shingles that'll only give me 6+1 (using up 6 of my front molle), or I could go with 1 Flyye MOLLE Double M4/M16 Mag Pouch in the center and 1 Flyye MOLLE Single M16 Mag Pouch on either side of the double for 8+1 (using up 8 of my front molle). Leaving me 4 on either side (as you mentioned earlier). Was planning on having my IFAK on my right side (as far back as possible so as not to impede my main shooting arm's mobility) but this leaves my left side kinda bare. Any suggestions as to what I should put over on the left side (for functionality only)?

11. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Well, you mentioned you carried M9 mags. I'd stack a couple of M9 mag pouches there. They'd be easier to access with your weak hand than high up on your chest and they'd be lower profile than tacked on to the front of your shingles if you went that way. For me though, I'd get another utility pouch. You might use your IFAK to carry some essentials, but I find it useful to have an empty pouch to stash things that I may pick up or take off like gloves or props from the game or whatever. I also like to keep snacks with me to keep energy up, and I prefer organizing my food away from my in-game gear. That way I'm not fumbling through granola bars to get to my knife or whatever.

12. SeanG

SeanG New Member

Bakersfield
    I was leaning towards a utility pouch over there, any suggestions as to which? And if I put the IFAK on the right and a utility on the left will it leave any room between them and the M4 pouches? If so, how much?

I was planning on getting both a drop leg holster - right leg (not sure which yet, since I haven't definately picked the pistol I will be using) as well as a drop leg molle panel - left leg. Originally I was thinking of getting a M60-type pouch for the drop leg panel for misc stuff (as you mentioned above about storage & food), but if I were to use the left side of my rig for that then what would I put on the left side drop leg?

I did mention M9 mags, mainly because that's the GBB (KWA M9 PTP Tactical) that I plan on getting, unless there is a better one out there. I personally chose the M9 because I'm familiar with the real-steel version of it. However, I'm more than open to suggestions of better GBB pistols that are out there.

13. Knief

Ann Arbor
    You should have room. Right now, it sounds like you're planning on taking up about 8 columns of webbing on your chest. You'll have 4 each left over on the sides. The IFAK is supposed to take three columns, but you can squeeze it into two easily. Running the MAP on the back of your rig is also going to take another two columns (one on each side of your mags, I know it's weird, trust me on this it's how I run my RRV). That leaves you with one column on your right side and three on your left. Any vertically oriented utility pouch will take either two or three columns of webbing. I'd go with a gas mask/canteen pouch just to switch it up a little bit:

http://www.shootercbgear.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_50_80_99&products_id=777

I'd also skip the drop leg panel. I made the mistake of buying one and never use it. It's more cumbersome than you would think and you have enough room on your vest for what you want already. You'd be better off putting that money toward a nicer drop leg pistol or a spare mag or whatever.

There are a lot of nice GBBs out there, but no real "best" gun. If you like the M9, the KWA is a good choice. I'd take the KSC version over it because of KSC's superior QC, but otherwise there isn't a lot on the market that matches up. TM's M9 is surprisingly bad (one of their last un-updated models), KJW and WE are budget oriented and it shows, and WA's is fragile and over priced. The KSC will be a bit harder to get, and probably a bit more expensive because you'll have to order from overseas. If the hassle is worth a bit better performance, go for it. If not, the KWA is a fine M9 replica as well.

14. SeanG

SeanG New Member

Bakersfield
    Started looking at the KSC M9 and found 4 (2 from ehobbyaisia & 2 from redwolfairsoft) I believe these two are the same:

KSC M9 Hardkick FULL METAL GBB Pistol (SYSTEM 7)
    KSC M9 (Full Metal)

and these two are the same:

KSC M9A1 FULL METAL GBB Pistol
    KSC M9A1 (Japan Version) (07 Hardkick) (System 7)

But both of those websites seem to describe them differently. Anyhow, the only one currently instock is the regular M9 from ehobbyaisa, and the M9A1 from redwolf seems a lot more expensive than the one from ehobby which makes me think it's a different one (even though it could very well be the exact same). I did a couple google searches and saw some listed as Tokyo version and Taiwan version (what's the difference between those? which one is real and which is a clone of the other?).

From what I've read/seen (via youtube videos) the regular KSC M9 would almost be the better choice since one of the parts I'd want to immediately change out could be swapped with RS ones (the pistol grips), and it's said to fit perfectly in Blackhawk's tactical Serpa holster.

Which brings me to a question I asked in my OP. With this RRV how high does it sit? I know they are adjustable, but while looking at many different pictures of actual RRVs in use some wear them pretty high, where others have them sit low, just above the waistline. My question here is how low is too low before the shoulder straps are more of a pain than a help? All of that mainly to ask this, which would be better just a plain duty/riggers belt or one of Flyye's Right-Angle belts? If the rig sits a little high I wouldn't mind the R-A belt, however if adjusting it lower without any discomfort is possible I'd do without it. (btw I'm 6'-2" and around 230-250 with a long upper torso)

Again thanks Knief you've really been a great help.

*Edit*
    Completely forgot about the first part of all of that. I have a couple of these lying around my house right now Specter Modular Nalgene Bottle Pouch in Coyote Brown, just wondering how well they will match/mesh with Flyye's CB.

Same goes for M4/M16 pouches. I have about 6-7 Fire Force M4/M16 pouches in Coyote Brown, that I was wondering how well they'd match to Flyye's CB.

15. Knief

Ann Arbor
    You want the first one you linked. It's unclear from Redwolf's description if their versions are the older version (which I own and love, but they're out dated) or the newer System 7 version. You want the System 7 version no matter what you get.

There is essentially no difference between the Japanese version and the Taiwanese version. A few of us GBB enthusiasts, including the renown DumboRAT spent a lot of time breaking down and comparing our KSC GBBs and found no discernible difference between them. As far as we concluded, the tags were more about advertising and charging more. Buy the Taiwanese version for a lower price, it won't make a difference in your end product.

You can wear the RRV as high or as low as you want. If you're wearing it as a PC, which you can, you'd generally want to wear it high so the plate covered where it's supposed to cover (collar bone to navel or so). If you're wearing it more as a chest rig, then wear it wherever it's comfortable. If you want the right angle belt, then you're committing to wearing it high. If you get the duty belt, then you can go either way. This is where I wear mine. For scale, I'm 5'11" and about 170 lbs:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm140/Kniefjdl/Kit2.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm140/Kniefjdl/Kit1.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm140/Kniefjdl/Kit3.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm140/Kniefjdl/Kit4.jpg

16. TheCaptainAlmighty

Gallifrey
    It works fine for me. It hasn't un-adjusted once yet, and I like it.

17. SeanG

SeanG New Member

Bakersfield
    Knief would this go with the loadout I'm setting up or would it look "off"

[​IMG]

18. TheCaptainAlmighty

Gallifrey
    I dont know if you only want Knief's opinion, but it would look better in a tan color.

19. SeanG

SeanG New Member

Bakersfield
    Nah all opinions are welcome, just directed that at him since it's pretty much just been me and him going back and forth so far in this thread.

I do agree with the tan color, but I was also planning on getting a reversible MARPAT cover. Or should I still go with a tan/fde base coat even with the cover?

20. MR38

MR38 New Member

Washington
    I would say get a tan or brown helmet as well as a reversible marpat helmet cover as well. That gives you three options but OD would work as well it's more up to preference. I use a woodland loadout with a CB plate carrier and use an OD helmet and it looks fine.