cheap DSG project

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Batman, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Batman

Batman New Member

Wichita
    So, I want a winter project that is somewhat of a challenge. I decided to try my hand at a DSG build since they have always intrigued me. I read tech_n9ne's thread, it was somewhat helpful. Here is what I plan to do:

Gun: Cyma MP5k PDW
    DSG-http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=31_49&products_id=8225
    Spur and bevel gear-stock JG
    Motor-JG blue (have already)
    Piston-I was thinking SHS something, 15 or 14 tooth?
    Spring/spring guide-I have a bearing spring guide, and I want to down grade the spring. Will probably get like a m120 or something.
    Everything else (cylinder/tappet/piston head/nozzle etc) will be kept stock. I will be running this on a 7.4 1800 mah 40c lipo.
    I need to know what kind of grease to get. Also can I get away without a mosfet? Will be switching to deans but keeping stock 18 awg wiring.
    My goal is to build a DSG as cheap as possible. I want to be in the 340-360 fps benchmark and around 30 rps. Will be shimming aoe etc of course as well.

2. IHOP

IHOP New Member

Rockton
    If you want more than 360 fps, you will need more than an m120. Probably closer to an M160. DSG is half stroke remember.

I'd go with a Lonex 10 tooth and then short stroke it accordingly for the DSG.

In the case your battery doesn't pull it, you'll need more amps.

Get a Mosfet.
    Get White lithium gear grease.

3. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    I suggest getting a heavier spring means the sector is going to be SSed by 8 teeth:p. Get a Lonex red piston instead. The SHS pistons are having problems with QC. Don't forget a new piston head o ring, a decent air seal nozzle,l (I suggest this due to the crappiness of stock nozzles), and Sorbo or other means of AOE correction.

Syncolon Super Lube synthetic grease is what I use for lube. Make sure you do lots of DIY mods.

4. CoppertopNeasg

CoppertopNeasg New Member

Boston
    Epoxy in the bushings or they will go from being inside the gearbox to no longer being inside the gearbox over the course of time. Also loctite in the gearbox screws because my high rof builds like to unscrew themselves

5. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    I suggest using mid-caps as well. Since mp5 high caps are pretty horrid on feeding a lot of bb's at one time. Unless you have some sort of electric winding magazine.

I would suggest staying under 50 bps with any mp5 build. Unless you want to tinker/mod every single high cap you have.

6. Batman

Batman New Member

Wichita
    Ok, thanks for the responses guys. A quick question about mosfets. When I get one, do I solder it on the end, or are there special connectors?

7. IHOP

IHOP New Member

Rockton
    As Surfer said, Locktite ALL the screws. Your gearbox may nuke itself if you don't.

8. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    When you put a MOSFET into a gun, instead of the trigger contacts controlling the the motor, the mosfet does. Therefore, you will have a gate wire (this one goes to the trigger contacts and back to the MOSFET and tells the MOSFET when to put power to the motor). There is a wire diagram here:
    NanoFet Thread. The connectors used are the same (you can still use your standard XT or Deans Plugs).

9. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    I can see how a DSG build is enticing, but 30rps is moderately easy to achieve on a single stroke. Unless you're starting off fairly simple and build on as you find good balances in tuning?

Considering the motor you're planning to use in the setup, I'd recommend you use a M130 and spacers to get you up to the FPS as it might be a little more easier going on it (the motor.) But to be honest I haven't attempted a DSG build yet so if it's a bad idea someone correct me.

10. L5132

L5132 New Member

Duluth
    Moderately easy? I had no difficulty at all getting my gun to 30. Simplest thing I've done in a long time.

11. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    Thirty rounds per second was my first build. Lol. Easily attainable.

The JG blue motor is perfectly capable of this build. It'll pull an m170. I guarantee it.

12. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    Lol guys that wasn't really speaking for myself. I didn't want to say something is universally easy cos some people might find it harder than others.

Edit:

@Archer I know it's capable but do you think it'd help ROF in any way?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  13. Batman

Batman New Member

Wichita
    I will eventually be getting up to a higher rof. But for now I'm gonna keep it simple.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  14. IHOP

IHOP New Member

Rockton
    Get 30RPS

>Be me
    >Have A&K Masada
    >Motor is dead.
    >Gears stripped.
    >Replace gears with GE.
    >Drop in G&P M120.
    >cheapsubstitute.png
    >Mild tuning
    >mfw 30RPS on 11.1v

15. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    Nah, he's going for low ROF (in my book at least), so maybe that's why he chose the JG Blue. I'm not good with my spring rates for DSGs, so I'm not going to give you a number for a spring you should use.

16. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    Makes sense mate, and a wise thing to do.

17. Batman

Batman New Member

Wichita
    Okay, what is a better rps goal for this build. 50?

18. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    I'm going to say set no goal and just let it pan out on itself. I'm guessing this thing hits around 40ish depending on your battery and spring rate.

19. Batman

Batman New Member

Wichita
    Okay, kind of what I was thinking. So the lonex red, this has metal teeth correct? And how many?

20. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    The lonex Red has 10 metal teeth and is currently the strongest piston on the market.