Choosing between CYMA Brand AEP's

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by Savior, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Savior

Savior New Member

Gotham
    I've been reviewing my performance in recent games and have come to the conclusion that I would greatly benefit from a lightweight, semi and full-auto capable AEP to supplement my kit. I require something that will require next to no long term maintenance or out of the box upgrades to perform. (I've got clumsy fingers and have destroyed many an AEG reshimming or trying to rewire components) Considering this is for emergency back-up CQB purposes, FPS is less of an issue than ROF.

I have extensive experience in using, firing, and generally skirmishing with many different AEP or compact smg, usually rented or borrowed.
    Here is a list of what I have used, in no significant order:

TM MP7
    TM G18C
    CYMA CM030
    Well R4
    TM M93R
    DE M81
    CYMA CM 122
    CYMA CM 121
    TM Scorpion

Though they are by far my favorites, TM's are a bit out of my price range, so I have decided to settle for either the CM030 or the CM122.

Here's where the problems begin.

I am enamored with the G18c's sleek contemporary style, which obviously makes the CM030 the clear choice for me, but it is currently unavailable from any US based retailer for under $100, and (to the best of my knowledge) has never circulated in the far more aesthetically pleasing Tan version that is available abroad. (I've seen the tan version in stock in both the UK and HK, so it definitely exists.)
    There have also been rumors that a newer version, or at least a fresh batch is currently planned for production in China, to be released this fall or early next spring. However, waiting that long may not be a possibility.

The CM122 on the other hand, is readily available, comes with a metal slide, and has basically the same exact internals and performance in a Sig's body. However, the collector inside of me is disgusted with the size of the AEP, which is nearly twice as large and fat as the real steel equivalent. (Looking down the barrel gives you the impression that you are staring down a Desert Eagle, not a compact pistol.)
    Most shops also sell it at a reduced price compared to the CM030, which, for the same performance, is pretty nice.

In summary, I am having a difficult time deciding between the CM030 Glock style AEP and the CM122, which is a newer version in a different style body.
    If anyone owns one or both of these AEP's, please weigh in with your opinions and suggestions, especially concerning the availability of upgrade parts and add-ons! Back in 2010 I had the option of purchasing a full metal body kit and several TM magazines for the CM030, which I regret not taking now as they are next to impossible to find...

2. deathmechanic

deathmechanic Active Member

Davis
    I owned a CM030 the battery and trigger response/cycle time was horrid 6 months into use. The magazine release gave out and had to use tape to keep the tiny mag in. I was happy when it broke and didn't torture myself by relying on it.

3. Savior

Savior New Member

Gotham
    Oh, that bites.

How would you say you handled yours? Did you use it constantly in a competitive setting? Were you rough when handling it? (Crawling with it in an exposed holster, dropping it, having it slam up against trees or walls, loaning it out to other players who might have)
    How would you describe the way you maintained and cared for it? Did it see hardly any use or was it rode hard and put up wet?

I'm asking because 6 months seems like the time frame for one of the cheap Jieke clones with a plastic gearbox to wear out, not a CYMA with metal internals. Also, I'm hoping any battery issues could be sidestepped with a Tokyo Marui 7.2 with a smart charger, instead of the crap that the box comes with.

4. brockolson97

brockolson97 New Member

Superior, Wisconsin
    I personaly own two TM g18c's but they are $150 so its more worth it to buy a CYMA ak47 and convert to cqb, CYMA aep's are in no way reliable, I bought some of their 50 rnd extended mags, and the dont feed worth crap. The cymas have feeding issues and they have horrible accuracy,. Just buy a DE multi shot shotgun.:D

5. deathmechanic

deathmechanic Active Member

Davis
    It was hardly used. Even in a CQB setup I tried to strictly stick to 25' distances so I could use my long arm. From its limited use while being properly maintained the hopup finally gave up and only slung BBs about 15'. While this okay for room clearing if your AEG dies and you need to switch you're gunna have a bad time.

Now the trigger pull/cycle time was due to the motor giving up. You'd have to hold the trigger down a good half a second for it to cycle fully. Full auto it cycles quicker, but that's usually a no go in CQB limits.

Now can you upgrade it? Yea you can technically, is it worth the money? Nope.

Im not sure if you're playing in cold weather or not but GBBP really do out class 99.9% of AEPs. The one exception being a TM MP7 with a nineball kit running a lipo. Otherwise good luck with your purchase. You can probably make a nice AEP I just can't justify the cash/time.

6. Savior

Savior New Member

Gotham

The CYMA hi-caps have known quality issues, which is why I referred to them as "plastic peices of crap". I have tried the CM030's with TM high-caps, which fed perfectly, so I'm not worried about that aspect so much.

I would do as you suggest and just purchase a cheapo AEG to convert into CQB, but the reason I'm looking for a good AEP is because I already carry two or more AEP's (Or one sniper/DMR and an AEG) on the field at any time, plus all of my gear, which gets real heavy real quick over the course of a long day. I'm trying to cut this down to just one AEG with a backup AEP to be more mobile without compromising the number of shots I can get off (Carrying a spring shotgun wouldn't be much better than carrying a second AEG, perhaps even worse with the slower ROF).

Anyone have any positive experiences with the CYMA CM030? Some of you must have, to have all the US based retailers constantly and instantly sold out since 2010.

7. Savior

Savior New Member

Gotham
    Hmm, I try to stay away from GBBP's because I only run with AEG's in my loadouts, but I do realize that they tend to outperform and outlast AEP's. I've never used any GBBP's, so I have no expertise on the subject; do you have any recommendations for the best GBBP's under or around $100-175? (The maximum I'm willing to spend on a backup weapon).

Also, the reason I got into AEG's instead of the gas options was because it does get mighty cold around here in the right seasons and ordering gas online can get pretty darned expensive for something that will maybe only have 4-500 bb's fired max in a year.

Edit: Oh, and there are no full-auto bans in the cqb scenarios I play in. Therefore I'm specifically looking for something that will let me just dump a mag in full auto if the need ever arises, which is why the g18c was so tempting.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  8. averageairsofter

averageairsofter New Member

Menifee
    If you want a good gbb with a full auto capability ksc's m93rs are pretty good, as well as their glock 18.

9. mikenike

mikenike New Member

Personally, i'd just wait for a TM Glock AEP to show up for $70-110.

I got my TM Glock AEP for $45 with 2 batteries, a charger and 2 mags.

You just have to be lucky.

10. brockolson97

brockolson97 New Member

Superior, Wisconsin
    Nice, I got mine from my uncle, he was getting out of airsoft.

11. Kevin_Poon

Kevin_Poon New Member

Hong Kong
    I own a CM121. It is non-blow back pistol, and powered with a rechargable battery. I have it for one and a half year already, and it is still working perfectly. (I have shoot about 3000rounds since i bought it) But the only problem is that it does not have a good condition, it may have some defects but it is aceptable. In general, it is a good pistol for beginners:)

12. cdaryl

cdaryl New Member

Hong Kong
    Cyma desert eagle isnt that great. shooting only at around 210 fps. Try the well/jg skorpion, shoots not that hard but better than the d.e at around 250fps. Great for cqb, and mostly made out of metal.

13. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member

I had the cm122 and loved it. It uses the same replacement parts as the cm030 and produces a higher ROF, Range, and FPS. It did me pretty well. I would recommend it because it is a blast to shoot....(Buy some extra mags with it though)