CIRAS vest help

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by GinjaNinja, May 28, 2021.

1. GinjaNinja

GinjaNinja New Member

Chicago
    Hello!

So I decided to go with a CIRAS style vest as my system for holding my mags and all. Something I've noticed is that the front end tends to sit a little lower. If I was to use is for real ballistic protection, it would be leaving my heart exposed (I'll post a pic in a sec). I have a feeling it's just cause all the weight is in the front and has nothing to counter in the back. I do have a backpack (wasn't wearing it in the picture) if that helps counted the weight at all, but I was curious if there are any tips to help the vest sit a little higher up on me.

2. GinjaNinja

GinjaNinja New Member

Chicago
    I’ll post this in a loadouts thread so I can be judged there. I could be wrong and this is perfect, but I thought this looked and felt a little low.
    8EB9E5B2-F3FD-4DEB-BF4F-AAFD7D3B4924.jpeg

3. piperdown

piperdown Member

Chesapeake
    You are correct- it's more than a little low.

4. GinjaNinja

GinjaNinja New Member

Chicago
    Glad I’m able to recognize when I’m not wearing my vest properly! Any idea how to counter weight it in back so the front doesn’t sag so much?

5. danerd

danerd Well-Known Member

Ozark
    Is your CIRAS capable of accepting armor plates? If so, Id recommend putting in some - even if they are fake. This helps to fill out the carrier and it will fit better. From what I can tell, your shoulder straps appear to be adjustable. See if you can pull those shorter to take up any slack and make the vest ride higher. Also, from your picture it looks like you are wearing it backwards. Your drag handle (shown on your chest) should be on your back, and sit just above or at your shoulder blades.

The best way I have found to counter front-heavy carriers is to add a hydro bladder to the back. You'll want the water no matter what.

6. GinjaNinja

GinjaNinja New Member

Chicago
    I
    It does accept plates and I have some fake ones in it. That did help a little. I'll take a look again at the straps, but I don't recall any adjustability. The vest is set up forward and proper. That handle is a feature of the CIRAS style vest. It's a quick release so that the vest separates at the straps for easy medical treatment. Unnecessary for airsoft, but I liked the style and amount of space to slap on pouches the vest had. Plus the vest came with all pouches on that side (although I switched out the default pouches with newer ones), so if it is backwards then the manufacturer sent it that way and I'll have to flip it around. I do have a hydro bladder, but haven't tried the vest on with it. The bladder is built to slide into a back pouch of a backpack I got for the kit, though. Is the bladder you use MOLLE'd into your vest or is it separate?

7. Shadowbane

Shadowbane Active Member

Pleasant Hill
    I have a Wasatch by HSGI that holds 12 mags and cost about $161.38 that works perfectly. May I recommend this vest if you need a new one in the future. I also have a hydration carrier that will fit on MOLLE webbing if you need something to fit your bladder in. It would just fit on to the back straps of the vest. Usually the vest will rest level at the waist from front to back, barring the lower sag that pouches cause on the lowest tier. Do you wear a belt? Your plate carrier should rest just above your belt.

GinjaNinja likes this.
  8. GinjaNinja

GinjaNinja New Member

Chicago
    Yeah! If you have a link for this vest, please send it my way. And I do have a belt. I just figured out how to adjust the shoulder straps and cummerbund of the CIRAS vest, so I've gotten it so that it rests a little higher and doesn't bounce around and makes so much noise. Would not mind looking at higher quality vests, though.

9. ma_airsoft

ma_airsoft Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If youre looking to upgrade in the future, dont get a wasatch. Theres better carriers out there for slightly more money (Crye JPC comes to mind) that arent bulky as hell (who carries 12 mags at once on just a carrier?)

In regards to adjustment, you want the carrier to be set so that the plates are sitting the right spots. I used to have an article on plate carrier fitment but cant find it right now but this article should get you in the right direction.

https://ferroconcepts.com/blogs/news/ferro-concepts-how-to-choose-the-size-of-plate-carrier

https://uarmprotection.com/how-to-adjust-a-plate-carrier/

10. Shadowbane

Shadowbane Active Member

Pleasant Hill