Civilian drones in airsoft?

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by Rainbow, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Rainbow

Rainbow New Member

I was just wondering what everyone here thinks about the use of civilian drones in airsoft. I've been reading up on drones and noticed that the price has gone down quite a lot since the last time I looked (5 years ago). My personal answer is no because I feel like they are not developed enough yet (lack of flight time, poor cameras, etc.), and that some stupid little kid might think he is cool and fire at it, and the maintenance may be to much. But I was wondering what everyone else here thinks on the matter, because I don't know if I just hadn't seen the pros of the idea yet.

2. sunqiller

sunqiller New Member

prospect
    i feel like that's a little extreme for airsoft... I mean, it really is just a game. People would almost definitely shoot at it as well.

3. Munishin

Munishin Well-Known Member

Goodyear
    I don't think it's extreme if the game being played is a huge mil-sim OP.

4. TYSONtheSNIPER

TYSONtheSNIPER New Member

Edmonton
    The only way I would use one in a game would be if I got it really cheap or more preferably for free in a draw or something ( I actually entered a draw for one so who knows maybe I'll be lucky). Because like you said someone would decide to shoot at it and that would be a bad investment on my part.

5. Retrospection

Retrospection Member

Kimballton
    They make rc cars with live feed cameras. I think they are 50$ though. So they may not have good range. Easy fix for this is disassemble the car carefully and look for a wire attatched to the circuit board and the other end just open in the car. If you have to take the end open to the car amd cut the plastic off and solder (preferred) or splice and tape a wire to extend the signal. So its not too expensive about 70$ the most includding shipping if ordered, and you get a ground drone that'll go an est 30ft

6. CaptDez

CaptDez New Member

My local field Airsoft CQB Manassas is investing in UAVs that will be remote controlled. Good idea?

7. Retrospection

Retrospection Member

Kimballton
    Is it cqb small or cqb big? If its a huge cqb field ya that'd be cool.

8. CaptDez

CaptDez New Member

They reopened as a huge 3 field complex and will have op games that use all 3 fields so the drone UAVs would be pretty cool but 35 acres of field isnt very cqb-ish anymore.

9. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
    buy the honeywell mav for $280,000. It lasts 40-50 minutes on a full tank of gas

(this is a joke...)

10. Rainbow

Rainbow New Member

Lol the Mav isn't even civilian (I believe). there are quad rotor drones that go for around $200. However you would have to pick carefully because some can only get 10-15 minutes of flight time. (ncore, I still recognize this as a joke)

11. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
    I don't think the honeywell mav has even been heavily incorporated into the military yet. I think it is still a prototype, but that would be sick having one. But sadly, they don't fire little electronic darts like they do in BF3 lol (would be an epic mod to fire airsoft bbs???)

12. Rainbow

Rainbow New Member

Here is a page I found before about them, http://www.army-technology.com/projects/honeywell-thawk-mav-us-army/.
    Despite how cool it is I think it is a little overpriced for airsoft :p

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  13. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
  14. Thestig

Thestig Some say... Supporting Member

Colorado Springs and Southern California
    I have done much research on UAVs, written 10+ page reports on then, have family that are lead engineers on some of the big UAVs, so I know my way around UAVs, or as they are now being called, UAS or Unmanned Aircraft Systems. The commercial hight limit for flying UAS is 400 feet, anything above that and you are breaking FAA regulation. Now realistically, flying at the hight limit, you are only in range of being hit by VERY high end snipers. And even then, the chances of that happening are slim. But to fly a UAS at 400 ft requires hours of training, and it is hard. Would I like to see it though? Yes. Definitely.

Also, the UAS community (AUVSI) considers drones a derogatory. Drones are for target practice.

15. Rainbow

Rainbow New Member

Ok from now on we call them UAS. Here is a page of some I saw that looked pretty cool: http://www.nitroplanes.com/uavpredator.html. I know there are some parts not included (which is annoying) but the majority still seem pretty cheap. Opinions?

16. Rainbow

Rainbow New Member

I have another question: are there any quad/tri/hex rotor UAS that don't run the battery out in 10 minutes?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  17. Thestig

Thestig Some say... Supporting Member

Colorado Springs and Southern California
    Yes. But they are large, and have multiple batteries iirc.

18. Keegan3R3B

Keegan3R3B New Member

Blaine
    [ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uVNtE6LMD2o[/ame]

This would probably work as a "drone". It has a nice resolution camera and it is fairly easy to control.

19. Rainbow

Rainbow New Member

10-15 minute battery life. And there are way better options than that, they just have no flight time.

20. Keegan3R3B

Keegan3R3B New Member

Blaine
    If you're doing a smaller game it would work. The painful truth is that if you want something that will perform for the duration of a large game you'll need to cough up a lot of cash.