Classic Army Scar L, need help

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by EliminatorDave, Jan 2, 2016.

1. EliminatorDave

EliminatorDave New Member

Snohomish
    Bought this for my oldest son last summer, it worked OK for a little while but quite firing after a couple hundred rounds. It makes a nasty grinding noise. I played with the motor adjustment set screw and some times that worked, other times it doesn't.

I pulled the gun apart tonight and the gear on the end of the motor looks like it's chipped and some of the gears are twisted towards the bottom of the gears. I just found the owners manual on line tonight and will pull the gear box shortly.

Anyone else have this gun and experience the same issue? I'm guessing I will find more of the same in the gear box, how to I fix the problem? I found a video online for "blue printing" the gear box, but it was all about "feel".

What up grades should I do while it's apart? Actually, it would be nice to pin point the problem first, what should I look for?

I am a noob with AEG's, but am mechanically inclined and have tools to measure and test preload and or preload.

Whats the best way to fix this thing?

BTW, I just bought myself a G&G M16 pro line and my gun collector brother a PPSH wood stocked gun for X mas. The birds and squirrels are going to be in a world of hurt this spring!

2. dukexGx

dukexGx New Member

It really depends on what you are going for. Long range or high ROF. As far as the initial problem it could simply be a defect in a gear.

I have the same gun but have had no issues out of it as of yet. When I do break it apart I will be getting a one piece cylinder and cylinder head, metal nozzle, m130 spring, metal tooth piston and better piston head. I will shim the gearbox and get a stainless inner barrel and possibly an rhop. Oh and of course a better gear set. I only want to up the FPS a little over stock. I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016

3. EliminatorDave

EliminatorDave New Member

Snohomish
    Well, haven't gotten any further on fixing this yet. I just want to get it working again, not all that interested in hopping it up, just want it reliable for my kid.

What's a basic up grade in gearing cost for this gun? Are their specific brands that are better than others, are all gears the same size / shape / tooth count? How about the cylinder that the main gear catches on?

4. dukexGx

dukexGx New Member

If you are staying stock SHS makes pretty good parts for the money. Not all gears are the same. Some are different ratio than others. I believe stock on most guns is 18:1 The piston only matters if your spring is above m130. If it is you will need a metal tooth piston. Check eBay or Evike on the parts.

Oh look on YouTube for how to shim a gearbox. That's important if you want the gears to last.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
  5. Stonearmdog

Stonearmdog Member Supporting Member

Sevierville