Closing up GB

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by Drekavac, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Drekavac

Drekavac New Member

Hello, all. I opened my gearbox a few days back and now before I close it I want to know what I should do, "Clean it out, etc" because frankly, I never want to open it again O_O. Alright, I know I'm going to have to clean it out later or fix a broken part, but I want to know if I should re-grease the gears or something because it HAS been open for a couple days now just sitting around. If I have to do anything (re-grease, clean, etc) please tell me because I'm not looking forward to opening it again later (Even though I probably will end up opening it). Thank you.

2. Seyo

Seyo New Member

Behind you
    Re-grease, shim the gears, adjust AoE and if you want to, glue the bushings.

That should be it!

3. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    Use White lithium grease. And make sure the gears are shimmed right.

4. cysko

cysko New Member

Correct me if in wrong, but isn't shimming hen you just get the gears into perfect alinement? If so...would that be the same as AoE

5. xXTacoMcFacoXx

xXTacoMcFacoXx New Member

Shimming is Adjusting the placement of the gears using shims so that they have a large area of contact and good mesh between the teeth without having them grinding on eachother or the gearbox shell. AOE is ajdusting the angle at which the sector gear initiates contact with the piston. It should be at the 12 o'clock position.

6. MrGoodkat

MrGoodkat New Member

I'm just curious, what version gearbox are you working with?

7. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    I also forgot to meantion that you should make sure the piston head and cylinder has a good air seal befor you close it up.

8. Drekavac

Drekavac New Member

Version 2.
    20 characters

9. Drekavac

Drekavac New Member

How do I check if it has a good air seal?

10. Drekavac

Drekavac New Member

Also, is AoE a MUST? I mean I can do it, but I just want to know if it's necessary.

11. Seyo

Seyo New Member

Behind you
    If you use Sorbo pads it will silence as well as prolong the life of your AEG.

It's not a must but why not? If you don't do it you will soon need a new piston.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  12. Drekavac

Drekavac New Member

Don't they reduce FPS though?

13. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    The loss of FPS is barely negligible.

14. Drekavac

Drekavac New Member

Oh and also, not sure if I tested compression correctly, but if I did my gun has TERRIBLE compression.

15. cysko

cysko New Member

Thanks for the info! I never realized where AoE was effecting. Now that I know that, I can correct that once I get my internal upgrades.