CO2 or Green gas pistol?

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by haydnc97, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    A) that guide says nothing about CO2, let alone how it's affected by ambient temperature relative to Green Gas/propane or HFC 134a. B) That guide was written before I started playing and it represents a very out dated mindset about different pressure gasses in airsoft guns. The science is still correct (as correct as it ever was), but the GBBs market is quite a bit different today, so many of his assertions no longer apply, and haven't for some time. You can go ahead and remove that guide from your bookmarks.

2. Slayer

Slayer New Member

excuse me sir, but as a long and avid paintball player, co2 causes the velocity to spike under cold temperatures. I know this from experience, please do not try and tell me about something that is common knowledge among painballers, that guide was to let you know that green gas is a good cold weather propellant. it doesn't say anything about co2, because I didnt need to know anything about that. Not trying to be rude or start an arguement.

3. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    I don't have time to tear your BS to the ground tonight. Maybe tomorrow if work is slow. But you're going to have to trust me that green gas/propane is not a good winter propellant, and does in fact suffer from serious cool down as temperatures drop. So instead of claiming you know anything about airsoft specific gas dynamics because of one guide from a decade ago, maybe learn something today from somebody who's been doing this for a decade.

4. thatoneguy

thatoneguy New Member

Lakeville
    From a person that lives in possibly the coldest state in the US, propane/green gas doesn't work for crap in cold weather.

5. Batman

Batman New Member

Wichita
    Alaska? .

6. Slayer

Slayer New Member

Please do, because knowledge is the most powerful tool. I have been researching it and it seems that the rapid firing of c02 can freeze and damage rubber, I don't know if the same is for green gas, but both are affected by higher temperatures because of the movement in gas molecules

7. Thunderbo15

Thunderbo15 Active Member

Saint Charles
    I would have to say the Y&P MK23 would be a great choice for your price range and wants. Its a great NBB pistol that is upgradeable, it has a slide you can rack (to the contrary of what a lot of people say is against the definition of a NBB? Oh well) and is well inside your price range. I believe it costs around $40-$50 depending where you buy it. I would seriously check it out if I were you.

As to the idea about green gas being better in the cold than CO2...well, I will enjoy when kneif explains it lol...for now, while the idea that CO2 can damage seals more in the cold is somewhat true I believe, but that just goes for anything. You would have to fire multiple magazines full in quick succession and have it be incredibly cold outside for it to damage them easily if they have been taken care of. But CO2 is also generally at a higher pressure than green gas, so the seals are more stressed as it is.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  8. 703

703 Active Member

I was a paintballer as well and I can tell you from first hand experiance cold weather effects Green gas / propane just like cold effects Co2.

If you don't beleive us try shooting your GBB pistol rapidly in 30* weather and see what FPS you get and how long it lasts. I can almost guarentee you wont get a full mag before if freezes up.

9. Slayer

Slayer New Member

I have read up on it and you guys were right.

10. haydnc97

haydnc97 New Member

Thanks man! I looked it up and it looks sick

11. G36Cairsoftking

G36Cairsoftking New Member

Rome
    i would get a green gas gun they are alot better just mags coast more

12. RyantheChimp

RyantheChimp New Member

Twin Cities
    I like green gas but co2 is also good. For that price range you'll find a lot of co2 pistols.