Cold weather AEG

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by masterpro72, Nov 6, 2012.

1. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member

What AEGs are you using for the upcoming cold weather? I am using a plastic body M4. Correct me if I'm wrong but, doesn't a plastic body make your gearbox last longer in cold weather? A metal body will conduct the cold into the metal gearbox.

2. Valkyrie

Valkyrie New Member

All my AEG's fare well in cold weather, but I'll be using my DEVGRU as usual.

3. Robin-Hood

Robin-Hood New Member

Inverness
    Use sorbo & radius your cylinder window. Voila.

4. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member

My Cylinder window is already facing into the gearbox. I honestly think my gun is gonna be fine because of the plastic body that doesn't get cold. Which means the GB won't get cold either.

5. Axis

Axis New Member Supporting Member

The cold could travel through your barrel or magwell. After a bit of time (2 hours maybe) it would probably be best for you to go inside and give your gun a "rest". This is what I usually do when the weather is below 50 degrees Fahrenheit.

6. Da-ninjabreadman

Da-ninjabreadman Member

Hutchinson
    technically the heat conducts AWAY from the gearbox faster. unless your gun is airtight i don't think the conductivity of the body is a factor when cold air is constantly being sucked in and pushed out. anyways i believe plastic bodies will get brittle and have a higher chance of breaking if dropped or stepped on, battery and motor performance will be impacted some so bring a spare battery. since cheaper plastic gets brittle in the cold polycarb pistons and sorbo heads and such will be less effected by the temp and be less likely to shatter or crack.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  7. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member

Not G&G Plastic. (20 Characters)

8. TysonY2

TysonY2 New Member

Emmett
    Seems legit. Do Lipo's fare better in the cold compared to Nimh's? I've heard that before, but never really tested it.

9. Da-ninjabreadman

Da-ninjabreadman Member

Hutchinson
    well all plastic is to a point, but yeah i would say G&G is better than abs lancer tac type stuff.

10. schultzebomb

schultzebomb New Member

Monterey
    Live somewhere where it doesnt get cold, like where i live its about 65 degress all year long :p

11. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    Dude you just love your combat machine don't ya? Taking any opportunity you can to build comfort within yourself for your purchase lol s'all good though

I've never really been that badly affected by the cold so can't really say what doesn't work.

12. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member

Yes, I love my Combat Machine. If you would've seen all the other guns I've had that have failed me, you would too.

13. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    Lol. Your theory on plastics not conducting cold is so flawed. It ignores the laws of physics and such. Plastic still conducts heat and cold. Plastic also becomes more brittle in the cold. I know of a guy who shot through a guys plastic gun because it was cold.

If you want to make a gun able to run in the cold, get a decent gearbox shell (lonex, MThaynes). Another route is putting sorbo on your cylinder head to absord some shock and correct AOE and, in addition to that, radius the cylinder windows on the gearbox shell. You could also combine all of that as well.

14. YoYo-Pete

YoYo-Pete New Member

Ypsilanti
    What does that mean?

15. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    Look at his sig. He has a Echo 1 ST6 Devgru, which is his gun.

16. YoYo-Pete

YoYo-Pete New Member

Ypsilanti
    Ah... my bad. There's so much text in signatures on here my brain tends to filter them out and not read them.

17. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member

The Plastic doesn't seem to get cold as the metal on the gun. In fact, after being outside in the cold wet weather the other day, my whole extenals were wet but only the metal was cold. I removed the upper reciever and the gearbox was a lot warmer than anything else and not even wet at all. I'm not sure if this is normal for most guns. Another key fact is that G&G uses an alumminum GB Shell. (Less likely to crack).:)

Please correct me if I am wrong about any of this stuff.

18. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    Robin Hood nailed it.

Also, G&G CMs externals are Nylon, not ABS like most plastic externals. As far as non metal bodied guns go, G&G's CMs are at the top of the line.

Take some physics and you'll find out why that is, plastic doesn't feel as cold as metal because it doesn't conduct heat as well as metal does. They are still the same temperature. When you feel how cold something is, what you actually feel is the heat leaving your body. Because metal conducts heat better, it pulls more heat from your body, making the metal feel "colder" than the plastic, when they are both, in fact, the same temperature.

The gearbox is covered, of course it won't get wet. And a warm gearbox is a sign of a dying gearbox. You need to regrease it and oil the cylinder head before you start melting the piston head o-ring.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  19. Njnewland

Njnewland New Member Lifetime Supporter

Cherryville
    Also, CM aluminum GB shells are absolute crap, IMO/E.

As others have stated, use Sorbo and radius the cylinder windows. Costs less than $5, works great.

With the Sorbo you can also correct AOE, which will help your gun (well...piston) "life" span.

20. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member

How are they CRAP? I have beaten one down with a hammer before and I know how hard it is to even put a dent in it compared to other shells. How could that be crap?