Coming Back to Airsoft After 4 Years... Need M4

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by johnnyboi2000, Dec 1, 2017.

1. johnnyboi2000

johnnyboi2000 Member

Chicago
    Hey guys. Long time no see. I used to airsoft a ton when I was younger in middle school. Now I'm a high school senior and some friends have started "soft sundays" xd lmao.

Anyway, I want to get back into it but I need a new gun. My previous gun I haven't shot in soo long but it does work still. It's a DBOYS SCAR L. Beautiful gun but it needs work done to it. Kinda wobbly, not stable/rock solid. I know the airsoft scene has changed a lot while I was gone so I'm sure there's guns now that I would be interested in.

The gearbox in my Scar L is brazy. It's got top of the line parts like a motor, piston, sprint(i think). I believe I got lonex parts. Not sure. I got them from brillarmory or clandestine or whatever those sites were.

Anyway, I just really want a nice, realistic, STURDY AND LIGHT gun. I don't want anything 100% metal because I need something lightweight (somewhat lightweight) but definetly sturdy. I'd like it to be modular, I want to replace stocks or have the ability to in the future. I need to use my old Dboys ScarL gearbox as well. I want to be able to just do a swap and maybe sell the ScarL to somebody else with the M4 gearbox.

Idk what the best route to go here is. Let me know!
    Thanks.

2. connorhayden1999

connorhayden1999 Member

ICS CXP sportline would suit your needs. And the G&G combat machine. Both guns are around $150

johnnyboi2000 likes this.

3. ma_airsoft

ma_airsoft Well-Known Member Supporting Member

South east
    Welcome back.
    What’s the price youre looking to spend?
    Only thing with the scar gearbox is youre gonna have to open it up to switch guns. M4s have a different nozzle and i believe selector switch.

A bigger budget gives you krytac as an option, as well as vfc.

johnnyboi2000 and BOA_SP3CT3R like this.
  4. johnnyboi2000

johnnyboi2000 Member

Chicago
    I don't know if I'll be able to switch the gearboxes, I may go to a field and have a tech do it. I added the parts in but that was years ago and I forgot a lot of stuff. I remember looking at a GG combat machine before I got out of airsoft. A friend wants to trade one of them + $100 cash for my scar but i don't think it's worth it. What would I expect to pay for a dboys scar L if I bought another used?

Price? Not a lot. DEFINETLY no more than $200. I'm not sure. Would it be better to keep the gearboxes and just swap the parts? Like only move the 3-4 parts I have installed into the new gun?

5. ma_airsoft

South east
    I’d personally sell the scar working, and buy something else, like a dboys/jg and build it to your liking with remaining money.

6. johnnyboi2000

johnnyboi2000 Member

Chicago
    Correction guys. I don't have lonex parts. I have SHS gears and an SHS motor.

7. johnnyboi2000

johnnyboi2000 Member

Chicago
    Are combat machines sturdy?

8. ma_airsoft

South east
    In my opinion, no. Will they get the job done, yes, but once one thing goes wrong with them, everything does. Their electronic control unit has had tons of issues over the last year and a half. I like the look of them however, and if it seems to suit your needs, then go for it, however, I’d probably recommend something else first.

BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.
  9. johnnyboi2000

johnnyboi2000 Member

Chicago
    What would you recommend then? My budget is $250 but I want a nice platform where I can have money for some upgrades. I do want a good base m4 though. I will only be adding in my previous gears and motor. Also some hop up/barrel stuff.

10. connorhayden1999

connorhayden1999 Member

GG makes a solid rifle and will be very good out of the box. I personally would get the ICS just because of how the gearbox is designed. Way easier to upgrade than almost anything out there

11. johnnyboi2000

johnnyboi2000 Member

Chicago
    What about the lancer tactical i linked?

Better yet, Can you just give me some brands that make good guns?

12. connorhayden1999

connorhayden1999 Member

I didn’t see a link to a lancer tactical.

In order of my opinion

1. ICS is the easiest thing to work on ever and it has a high quality build off the bat

2. Classic Army gives you a lot out of the box for not a lot of money

3. G&G makes a solid M4 out of the box

4. G&P good externals and good internals, however is wired to deans battery and it’s usually unclear which kind of deans it is. On top of pushing your budget a bit

5. Krytac has great stuff out of the however also pushes your budget and is extremely common

13. Raven1st

Raven1st Well-Known Member

San Ramon valley
    The Combat Machine has a great polymer body and the internals are well-tuned, but they are not a good base to upgrade on.

The GB is weaker than most, the parts are not durable and the only reason they last long stock is because of the great factory tuning, the wiring and motor just suck and the only redeeming internals are in the hopup.

A JG or Dboys would be a much better base to upgrade from. JG gearboxes have been used in high-stress builds (30+rps, 400+fps) for a long time and will last forever in most builds. Dboys makes some M4's that can be tuned up real nice.

14. theobz

theobz New Member

My buddy has the Elite Force CFR and I have the Elite Force MCR. Both guns are lightweight, sturdy enough and so far seem to be great guns. His has been used for a bout a year now and so far its going strong.