Completely new to airsoft

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by BallisticBear, Dec 27, 2012.

1. BallisticBear

BallisticBear New Member

So my cousin has been into airsoft for about a year now and wants me to join him and his friends when they go out. Now I've fired his m4 but that's about the only experience I have with airsoft. I started watching videos on YouTube and looking up guns on amazon.(I have a credit account with amazon)so I'm really indecisive on what to get. I am having troubles picking a pistol at the moment I think I figured that I would start with a echo1 ak47 as my beginner rifle. But I can't decide what would be a good starting pistol. I'm trying to find something under $120 with reasonably cheap mags. I found an m9 I liked for $60 but could only find mags for it for $30 which is like half the cost of the gun. I also looked at the Hi-capa 5.1 dragon but wasn't sure. So any feed back or recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. rblevinski

rblevinski New Member Supporting Member

Philadelphia
    You'll hear a lot about staying away from WE guns. Look at some KJW's they seem to be what your looking for.

3. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    Welcome to the boards and airsoft!
    Jumping right in here:
    Hi-capa is the only WE pistol worth looking at. If you like 1911, the best ones to get are the Elite Force Co2 1911. They have original and tactical versions.
    The Echo1 AK is a good starting point if you like AKs. If you like M4s, JG S-System is a great starter rifle to pick up for cheap.
    If you give us some more information we can help better.
    Total budget?
    Field or CQB?
    rifle/pistol style desired?
    do you already have eye/face protection?

4. TYSONtheSNIPER

TYSONtheSNIPER New Member

Edmonton
    My advice... Just stick with the AK for now. Pick up some more mags for that, then as you get more into airsoft and get a better understanding of what's good and what's not, look at buying a pistol at that point.

A pistol really isn't a needed right away. And with the time waiting you could increase your budget and get a spectacular sidearm rather then a decent one.

5. BallisticBear

BallisticBear New Member

I'm pretty much looking at field right now maybe cqb later on. I've pretty much found what I am going to get protection wise. I like m9 over 1911 in terms of style. I really liked the look of the gamo pt-85 but the mags are what turned me off of that gun. I thank everyone so far on the input. Also I don't have much of a budget yet but i don't want to blow money if this is something I don't get into. I think just getting the AK an some mags for now will do. I'd still love feedback since i am new to all this. I've been basing my knowledge off of YouTube videos but their isn't much for beginners and I've been looking under the novice section of the airsoftgi.com site for an idea of what to look at. Thanks again everyone.

6. Protectionperfection

Worcester
    look on here. browse the boards, use the search bar and if you cant find it ask. We are all about trying to help the best we can. You can PM any of us, anytime if youd like too.
    Stick with just the AK for now, get a chest rig to hold mags ($20-30) and then if you get into it, buy a nice piece of gear later down the road.

7. Leonidas

Leonidas New Member

Des Moines
    I'd pick up the AK, essentials, and the Hi-Capa.

8. McGee

McGee New Member

San Francisco
    Why get an AK? Wouldn't you want to be able to share magazines with your cousin?

Hold off on the pistol. Pistol means you need a holster. It will be a big jump in cost for you if you're still not sure how committed to airsoft you'll be.

9. BallisticBear

BallisticBear New Member

I ended up going for an m4 instead of an AK. Mags were part of my decision on that because I've read that m4 mags can be used in most guns.

10. rblevinski

rblevinski New Member Supporting Member

Philadelphia
    Pretty much all guns that are stanag compatible will work with m4 mags.

11. Protectionperfection

Worcester
    starter rifle pick up the JG M4. they have a good base and are upgrade able in the future

12. BallisticBear

BallisticBear New Member

I got the JG S-System 2010 version M4 and a box of 5 300 round mags

13. Shaman

Shaman New Member

For now I'd stick with the AK, make sure airsoft is something you want to get in to. Even then I'd worry about other stuff besides a pistol. Also the price of those mags isn't that surprising. My USP mags are $25 ea easy. My advise: get some tac gear or bling for your AK.