Cool or Camouflage?

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by Buoy, Apr 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Buoy

Buoy New Member

Anaheim
    So I'm pretty sure everyone knows what I mean when I ask about Cool or Camouflage, but in case you don't. It's whether you should aear something to look cool or camouflage with the environment better.

I personally see and like gray and (multicam) black with the gear being one of the tactical colors: tan, od green, or black (I own OD green gear). I mainly play airsoft at SC Village and so far I've only played in some pretty close range games for outdoors (SC Viper, Kosovo, Beruit, etc. Maps like that). I can see how camos can help with concealment but I can't decide whether I should spend my money on something I like the look of more and contrast with my OD green gear or should I just get some camo with a green base to compliment my OD green gear?

2. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    Well, do you like getting shot? If so, buy black. If you don't like getting shot so much, buy camo. The trick is improving your taste so that a good camo kit looks good to you.

3. Airsoft444

Airsoft444 Mad Scientist Supporting Member

Milwaukee

I guess it really comes down to taste. In a quick CQB match, camo certainly matters, but not that much. As long as you wear neutral colors and mild patterns (i.e. Not polka dots) you ought to be fine in a fast paced game.
    Now, if you intend on playing field, Milsim, or anything outside of a CQC urban environment, you probably want to go with the camo. To agree with what knife said, I always see and shoot the guy wearing black first. Contrary to popular belief, black does not make you a ninja.
    TL;DR in causal games I would wear whatever looks the most bada**. In longer or more serious games, definitely use camo.

4. Martin_

Martin_ New Member

I agree with every answer.

And if you'd really have to pick between the 2 I'd go with camo. Most CQB cames - doesn't really matter if you have camo or not. But in a mil-sim game it changes a lot.

For example last year I was at a mil-sim event. We were moving towards the enemy base with 6 people. The trip was already into it's 3rd hour when a group of 15-20 enemy players were walking towards us (making lots of sound ofcourse). And as the area was not the best for a contact we through ourselves down and the enemy group just walked past us. Very-very close. Would have never gotten away with it when we'd have been in black.

5. Buoy

Buoy New Member

Anaheim
    I see what you mean, I guess I'll go with camo then. Is there any camo that's inherently good for all situations? I've seen Project Honor, is that any good? What camo would go best with OD Green gear?

6. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    There are universal patterns that are designed to fit well with many environments. Some are better than others at accomplishing that goal, but they're rarely as good at matching any single environment as a pattern designed specifically to be used in that environment.

That said, Multicam is the best universal pattern out there. It does an amazing job of looking tan when placed against tan stuff, looking green when placed against green stuff, and looking gray when placed against gray stuff. It works best in environments that have a mix of both tans and greens and that aren't terribly dark where the lighter tones would stand out. Here are some examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Project Honor camo kind of sucks, on the other hand. For starters, you have to understand that it was designed for a video game and then made real to sell for a charity event. Millions of dollars are poured into designing and rigorously testing camouflage patterns that are going to be used on the battlefield to ensure that they conceal you. Zero dollars were put into ensuring that Project Honor camo conceals you. It was designed to look cool in the video game, and I'm sure more time was put into thinking about how the texture would move on the animated polygons than were put into any other aspect of the design. As a result you have a very contrast-y pattern that doesn't use any of the technology that modern camo does to keep you concealed.

True pixellated patterns like MARPAT and UCP use small pixels to create edges that look fuzzy from a distance, making you look out of focus. Project Honor uses big chunky squares that maintain their hard edges from a distance. Multicam fades colors and tones together to give the appearance of natural shade changes in materials. Project Honor camo uses high contrast between color segments that will stand out against most natural backgrounds. Kryptek uses solid shapes over a patterned base to create the illusion of depth on a more-or-less two dimensional subject. Project Honor uses big patches of solid color to create big patches of two dimensional color. Hell, even A-TACS, which kind of sucks, uses soft edged blotches to create some fuzz, and depth, and natural transition.

The short version is this: Project Honor camo doesn't work because it wasn't designed to work. It was designed to look good in a video game. Real camo that's designed for the battlefield actually works (usually) because it was designed to work. The exception here is UCP because it was designed by bureaucrats and committees. But even that works against the right setting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the difference between UCP and Multicam below, though.

[​IMG]