Could I pull off a concealed carry holster while wearing a plate carrier?

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by Brad Nauss, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brad Nauss

Brad Nauss New Member

Halifax
    I am just getting into airsoft competitively. I have been playing since i was 14 off and on and enjoy the sport. I am purchasing my first gear, I used to just wear a leather jacket and me and my buddies would shoot it out in my backyard. now I want to play on a field, I am buying a plate carrier, and now i need the holster. I have found a concealed carry holster for cheap, and I was wondering, would it go well with a plate carrier, or would it be awkward to draw my pistol? I'm buying a taurus m9 style gun that goes with it if that helps.

2. Wh33ler

Wh33ler Active Member

Denton
    I'd suggest having a holster in one of three places:
    Your Chest
    Your Hip
    Your Thigh.

Trying to run something "concealed" might feel a little bulky with a plate carrier on. I'm assuming you're talking about a shoulder style holster that goes inside your jakcet.

Topshotz357 and BOA_SP3CT3R like this.

3. Brad Nauss

Brad Nauss New Member

Halifax
    No, I thought of that though. shoulder holsters look badass. But like you said, bulky. I'm talking about a holster that goes inside your waistband that conceals a firearm. kind of like the one in this scene that shows up around 0:49

4. Wingman703

Wingman703 Moderator Staff Member

Atlanta
    The terms "concealed" and "look badass" don't really fit well together.

But what I really have to ask is... why? If this is for airsoft, then there is no point in "concealing" a pistol. Leave it somewhere easily and quickly reachable(your strong side hip/chest, ect). A sidearm is your last resort or CQB weapon. If your spending time fumbling for it/rearranging gear with the other team closing in, chances are you've already been hit or spotted.

5. Brad Nauss

Brad Nauss New Member

Halifax
    Mainly because I can get the holster cheaper than any other holster at the moment. the other reason, is that if i ever wanted to go over to my friends house and didn't want to lug a bag around it would come in handy, if i ever wanted to go to a secluded location near where I live, I'd be able to do it easy. although what matters most to me is whether it would be awkward to pull out or not during a match while wearing a plate carrier.

6. Brad Nauss

Brad Nauss New Member

Halifax
    What I'm getting from this post is that I might end up getting both. Cause I've always wanted a conceal carry holster. great for matches with your buddies you can just throw on your track top or dress shirt, or hoodie or whatever and pull it out and bust. plus I'm thinking of one day starting up a role-play scenario where it might fit in to it to conceal the weapons.

7. Wingman703

Atlanta
    If you want advice on conceal carrying a real weapon, take your questions elsewhere. We do not permit firearms discussion here.
    Or if you ment conceal carrying an airsoft gun in public, why. Just why. There's no point in carrying a fake gun to "your friends house" or these "secluded locations", and carrying an airsoft gun in public, "concealed" or not is a TERRIBLE, ABSOLUTELY AWFUL IDEA.
    Its a terrible idea to base a loadout or design around a certain item "just because its cheap". You end up with a setup that doesn't perform optimally. Plan an efficient setup/loadout with the items you actually need and go from there. Don't try to see what loadout you can make just because you have stuff unless you really hate ergonomics and making things easy on yourself.
    As for the "awkward" question... yes, it would be incredibly awkward. Have you even worn a PC to visualize what you would need to do to reach a rear mounted pistol?

Also please don't double post. Use the edit function if you feel you need to add something to your post after the fact.

8. Brad Nauss

Brad Nauss New Member

Halifax
    I'm the king of terrible Ideas. most of them have worked out pretty good. that being said, I would definitely agree with you that there is no point in carrying airsoft around all the time. when I was in the 8th grade 6 years ago i used to carry a pellet gun on me every day I left my house and also would take airlift to school in my bag. I never got caught, but i had a close call which woke me up to it. I live in canada, I can't even get a carry permit here so I'm not asking about real guns. I am still ordering it so i haven't put on the PC yet. I appreciate your insight on the problem and will make an effort to not not double post in the future.

9. ERICTHEROJO

ERICTHEROJO Member

chicago
    I'm going to echo everyone: chest/hip/thigh.

There are cheap options for holsters.

10. RockNRoll33

RockNRoll33 Active Member Supporting Member

Buford
    Why, just why?

BOA_SP3CT3R and Wingman703 like this.
  11. Wh33ler

Wh33ler Active Member

Denton
    Like Wingman said....you want something easily accessible because usually your sidearm is your last resort in a CQB situation. I carry one specifically so I can make entry into structures without having to worry about MED (minimum engagement distance) because at my local field rifle MED is 20 ft. If I'm in a building and pop around a corner and there's an opposing player right there...I'm f***ed without a pistol. And it actually happened this past weekend. My pistol crapped out on me so I couldn't use it. I was in a structure (I say that because none of them have a roof on them for fire code purposes) and an opposing player rounded a corner at the same time I did. He had a pistol drawn on me and I knew I couldn't fire back because he was within the 20 ft MED (about 10 ft away). I don't know whether or not he got a shot off but I called myself hit as soon as I saw him because I couldn't fire back. So yeah....the last thing you want is to need to draw your sidearm in a hurry and be fumbling with trying to get it out of concealment. Besides....it's airsoft. Concealment isn't necessary. If it's something you really want to do, trying to use it with a PC won't be an issue because there should be plenty of room between the bottom edge of your PC and the top of your waistband.

12. Brad Nauss

Brad Nauss New Member

Halifax
    mainly because I was like 14, and thought it was badass. I also lived in a bad neighbourhood and saw a few people around me carrying real guns around and a lot of fistfights happening in my neighbourhood so it gave me a sense of security. i also thought that it would be fun to have in case i came across a good secluded place to shoot, i could just pull it out and bup bup. have a fun time.

13. Brad Nauss

Brad Nauss New Member

Halifax
    When i get a backup, I might get it in a concealed carry holster so I have something to pull out no one expects. plus, I've always had this idea to organize a larp type scenario with airsoft similar to gta, where there would be an economy and various commodities people would trade in the game, Like guns, drugs, counterfeit cash, etc, and robberies that could take place. I would want to get people to use their apartments for it, and find areas where it would make sense to do it, so those areas would be the designated gunfight areas or robbery areas. It would be cool to write an iPhone or android app to go with it to manage the currency within the game, and kind of give people a place to chat. there would be factions, and players could make and rp as gangs, like crips, bloods, 1% bikers, mafia, russian mafia, the irish mob, drug cartels, police etc. there would also be legitimate jobs as well. Basically, it would kind of be like a mix of an SAMP role-play server or an MTSA roleplay server, with a Gmod Dark rp server, except played in live action with airsoft guns.

14. Wh33ler

Wh33ler Active Member

Denton
    So basically....live-action GTA. Sounds like ti could be fun....but not exactly safe. And might draw some unwanted attention from local law enforcement and citizens because it almost promotes that types of bad (criminal) behavior, regardless of whether it's a game or not.

BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.
  15. Brad Nauss

Brad Nauss New Member

Halifax
    I mean, I wouldn't say it promotes criminal behaviour, I would more say it would provide a positive outlet for people to put their aggression in the spirit of good fun. but i know what you mean, people would take it that way like they always do aha. I don't think law enforcement would care as long as it was kept on the downlow and people stayed away from waving guns around in public places. one day i can see doing it. i read a post about another guy that did something similar but he said it got lame because of lack of communication, I wanna integrate an app to make sure it would go smoothly.

16. Wingman703

Atlanta
    This thread has had enough bad ideas and poorly thought out scenarios already. I'm closing it before anyone else thinks this stuff is a good idea.

-LOCKED-

Wh33ler, BOA_SP3CT3R, Chow and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.