Custom LMG Crate

Discussion in 'Airsoft Images & Video' started by Zaryk, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Zaryk

Zaryk Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Southern
    Well, I got bored last night and decided to build a crate for my M249 Para. I didn't want the "factory made" look so the slight imperfections you see are intentional. I may weather it a bit later but for now it seems fine. I also still need to add a compartment for a spare box mag, BBs, and batteries. Took roughly 3 hours to construct and an hour to paint. Thoughts and suggestions are welcome as I plan to build one for my Stoner next.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Swoledaddy

Swoledaddy Active Member

east moline
    I love the crate man. Only thing I would have done different would be to add a piece of rope that would hold the lid up instead of just letting it hang all the way back like you have it now. But I'm weird like that. Overall love the idea and the build.

3. Zaryk

Southern
    Thanks, I appreciate it.

I built wood "stop blocks" on the back to hold the lid after having the lid drop on my knuckles. I may try to redesign it with some rope and just give it more slack this time, I just didn't have enough small rope on hand right now.

4. Swoledaddy

Swoledaddy Active Member

east moline
    Oh ok. I didn't quite see how the lid was sitting in the pics but now that I look at it I see what your saying. Either way I like it. Hope your knuckles are ok.

5. Zaryk

Southern

After thinking on it for a bit, I got it all worked out. I used some extra rope that I used for the handle and added a couple of blocks. It works great and looks right for the crate too. Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate it.

Pics of the lid stop and better pics of the inside.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Swoledaddy

Swoledaddy Active Member

east moline
    That looks fantastic man! Glad you got it worked out.

7. Angrypencils

Angrypencils New Member

Wappingers Falls
    Very nice! Inspiring me to make one for my PKM!

8. Zaryk

Southern
    Thanks.

It would be great to see some pics of yours when completed. Also, I've been looking to add a Kalashnikov lmg to my arsenal, would you recommend the PKM would I be better of with an RPK?

9. Angrypencils

Angrypencils New Member

Wappingers Falls
    The RPK in airsoft terms is basically a long AK with less battery space. It does have the advantage of being allowed full auto where regular AK's are restricted to semi. I enjoyed my RPK but it definitely doesn't serve as a support weapon nearly as well as the PKM.

10. Zaryk

Southern
    Good to know, I'll look closer at the PKM. Thanks for the info.

11. Swoledaddy

Swoledaddy Active Member

east moline
    Also with the PKM you can get a Daytona Gun kit for it. I've seen the only one in existence in action (Apex Phantom 2015) and it was super sexy. Not sure what brand you need for the kit but it would be something to look into.

12. Angrypencils

Angrypencils New Member

Wappingers Falls
    You can throw in a polarstar too which actually makes it a little lighter.

13. Zaryk

Southern
    I love the idea of a dg/p* but cannot stand the air lines, they really get in the way of my play style. I'm currently in the process of building a second gearbox for the m249 and going to slap a dsg in it.

14. Angrypencils

Angrypencils New Member

Wappingers Falls
    Although with a standard rifle I would agree, with an LMG you spend a lot of time tied to your gun so I don't imagine a line would be very noticeable since you're not manipulating the gun very much.

15. Zaryk

Southern
    I have a tendency to pass off the rifle to team mates, and run my secondary for building clearing, so it would slow me down having it attached to me. We also have very steep ravines that we travel up and down, and it would make it so the gun wouldn't be operational when passed up the ravines unless we passed the tank with it, which isn't an option most of the time.

16. Angrypencils

Angrypencils New Member

Wappingers Falls
    Yes, you make a good point. I always leave my PKM in action when I'm hit, I didn't even think about that.