Custom m4 base WWII FG-42 replica (late version)

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by adas1223, Jun 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. adas1223

adas1223 Well-Known Member

stratford
    Got a comission job coming up. client wants a FG-42 replica with a base of a m4 aeg. figured i'll document the build process.

2138602-2.jpg

Background: client has realistic expectations from this build. will take a month or north. aware magazine will not be correct placement, and aware an airsoft version exists already $1200+. appreciates the use of standard m4 aeg magazines and 3d printed parts will be lighter.

my background: this is just my hobby, ive built custom uppers before and have done commissions before as long as the client is realistic in expectations. so far 100%

build thoughts:

90degree magwell and hopup unit. i think this part will be the most mind/labor/time intensive. I have a 3d printer at my diposal so it should make quick work of getting the right features and silhouette. (stock, handguard, and grip will be shaped/added and wood colored)

i found a base of a JG polymer body M4 with a full stock. going to 86 the upper completely and reshape the stock.

Another challenge will be the bipod interfacing strongly with the upper. if the upper is mostly 3d printed, and so the outer barrel, the inner barrel provides some strength. if you put a bipod in the front, there will be a lot of force on the inner barrel. unless i run a steel rod or bar stock down the length. bipod will have a rod running down, and 3d printed aesthetics on each leg.

quick render to show magazine placement:

Screenshot (13).png

link0 likes this.
  2. adas1223

stratford
    Haven't started but a quick photo render of the key aspects

20Vg827.jpg cnblBtr.jpg rSJKirP.jpg
    Should keep me busy for a month

3. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    What mags are you going to use?

4. adas1223

stratford
    He's going to use m4 stanags

5. adas1223

stratford
    got the first payment installation

chopped and plastic welded the lower receiver, also chopping the grip and reprofiling

you can see the reprofiling of the rear stock, adding material to the upper for the iconic (FG) shape

SZckh1Y.jpg

hopup is rotated and tacked on for now.

x4RzjxJ.jpg

Sparky88 likes this.
  6. adas1223

stratford
    My bondo skills and expanding foam skill will tackle that stock shape. then faux wood grain. you can see the abs reinforcement under the stock plastic welded.

the upper receiver is 3d printed and the side magwell is the rectangle on the right. the hopup needed(not really) a channel to slide into the front of the receiver. i found that out later lol

the lower receiver is smoothened out and by now is already painted

the 90 deg hopup i rock solid and squared. the grip is painted and about to get faux wood grain. the coarse grit sander put in some nice wood texture to boot. nice! ill do the same to the stock.

photo_2020-06-28_17-31-42.jpg
    a lot done the firt weekend.

next weekend i plan to get the magwell welded to the body and test feeding/locking in the hopup. also: finish contouring/painting the stock, printing the rest of the front end and final shaping.

last week will be: recreating the front bipod which locks fore and back.

link0 likes this.
  7. adas1223

stratford
    I want this build to feel finished and look good from the inside out. It will be able to be stripped down with a removable stock, and also be painted on the inside. it will take a keen eye to spot the hand made parts. also, I like to flex everything while im making the body work to see if things crack or snap ( and they do ) so i can make it stronger than prior.

8. adas1223

stratford
    mock up, and magwell centering. oh the sweet sweet smell of bondo stuck in my nose. magwell is a little tight.

now how to adjust hopup? i left the opposite side solid LOL. I will make a door which will look like the charging hook of the real FG!

the front end will take a whole weekend to design peices for. its coming together quickly and nicely imo

photo_2020-06-29_21-29-55.jpg