Cybergun To Intensify Campaign Against "Counterfeit" Airsoft Guns

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by airsoftmaniacman, Jun 6, 2015.

1. airsoftmaniacman

airsoftmaniacman Active Member

Baltimore
    You can read the English press release here.

To be honest, I think Cybergun is losing revenue because their business model and practices are repulsive to most airsofters. Umarex follows a similar business model, but they license products that have decent quality (VFC OEM for H&K products). Cybergun cuts corners, puts out poor products, and then brazenly sues every company that comes close to violating their licensing rights.

Cybergun purchased Bioval, a company well respected for making some of the best BBs on the market, and soon after Bioval BBs became infamous for jamming.

Cybergun will go on another lawsuit spree. Unfortunately for them, their lost revenue is not coming from licensing violations. Airsofters are simply not buying their poorly-made products. If Cybergun wants to avoid bankruptcy, then they should consider putting out quality products and rebuilding their atrocious reputation.

2. Wingman703

Wingman703 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Atlanta
    *Begins applause*

Down with Cybergun! Down with Cybergun! ;)

3. Mitsauce

Mitsauce Member

Sacramento
    Good thing I don't even want any of those licensed guns.

Only one would maybe be Colt.

This wouldn't impact Cyma AKs now would it? They don't have any trades on their stuff.

EDIT: would this ruin VFC MK18s? Those have Colt trades IIRC.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  4. Dannyboyextreme

Dannyboyextreme Active Member

Burbank
    Thanks cybergun... you ruin everything I love, don't you? Don't you? Yes ... Yes you do..

5. 1stRavenAirborne

1stRavenAirborne New Member

Micanopy
    Just one more reason to avoid cybergun in my opinion, not that there was any reason to nt do so in the first place.

6. Dannyboyextreme

Burbank
    The only cybergun thing I have id their Famas but I am upgrading the hell out of it

7. Rushin

Rushin Well-Known Member

Kalamazoo
    Awesome. So now all of those names/brands will be cheap and crappy guns put out by cybergun. Luckily for us, chinese manufacturers don't even listen to their own government, so we should at least still see nicer quality AKs and some other clones like that. I'm fully expecting to see something like the JLS F2000 put out, which was a steaming pile of excrement.

Hopefully within the next few years their net loss will grow, and they'll shut down. It will be hilarious!

8. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I am somewhat renowned, well, I at least get quite a bit of attention in the local airsoft community. When people ask me about Cybergun I tell them the truth, that they re-brand cheap guns and sell them at a ridiculous price. Hopefully I've done some damage to their reputation in the local airsoft community. I also tell people about how they've turned the French airsoft market into a nightmare.

9. Rushin

Rushin Well-Known Member

Kalamazoo

Same here. Cybergun's trash, their guns are trash, and their company leaders are trash... Wouldn't touch that cheapy FAMAS with a 12 Gauge.

10. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I would touch their Famas, with a can of gasoline and a lit match.

11. Dannyboyextreme

Burbank
    What did the Famas ever do you to you, Lefse D:

12. Munishin

Munishin Well-Known Member

Goodyear
    I like cybergun tho....at least when it comes to their cyma oem'd cqbr. IDGAF about the rest.

13. airsoftmaniacman

Baltimore

That's like saying, I like the Yugo (CYMA) for a car, but I've never driven a Mercedes or BMW (VFC or G&P).

Put a high end M4 CQBR next to the Cybergun stuff, and it's like comparing an iPhone 6 with the Zune.

Unfortunately, money speaks and Cybergun almost has a monopoly on Airsoft guns under $200. Most new players will unknowingly support Cybergun simply because their budget aligns with Cybergun's marketing demographic.

14. Munishin

Goodyear
    Can't say I see the comparison. The Cyma is a $175 dollar gun and for what it is and what you get it's a good price point. I've owned G&P, VFC, WE, etc M4's and still think the Cyma is good for what you pay and what you get. Obviously a tier 1 gun is going to be better than a tier 5.

15. Iram

Iram Member

Austin
    Looking at this from the perspective of a real-steel shooter, that list has a lot of jokes on it.

Blaser: Budget ammo maker, not a gun manufacturer.
    Colt: Just declared backruptcy (again)
    Desert Eagle: No. Just No.
    DPMS: Decades of experience building some of the low-quality AR15s on the market.
    Firepower: Never heard of 'em.
    GSG: Maker of 22-caliber knockoffs of other company's guns. Why would I want an airsoft gun with trades from a real-steel company that makes knockoffs. Want an HK MP5 or a GSG MP5-22? Stupid.
    Mauser: Are they still even in business? I haven't heard of anyone using their stuff since WW2.
    Taurus: Cross between DPMS and GSG, except for pistols. Lots of low-quality knockoffs.
    Kahr: I don't think I've ever seen someone playing airsoft with a sub-compact concealed carry pistol.

16. thatzackwheeler

thatzackwheeler New Member

Menasha
    Gotta defend my man Bill on this one - the Zune never tried to be an iPhone; it only tried and failed to be an iPod. Cybergun tries and fails to be a real AEG.

17. Tortoise

Tortoise Active Member

AZ
    The problem here really isn't the guns themselves or their quality. Heck Cybergun licenses some pretty great guns OEM'd by other manufacturers unfortunately, and some pretty lousy ones with that said. The main idea is that their business practices are completely ruthless and just outright disgusting, especially for a smaller market such as airsoft. I'm not surprised though, somebody inevitably had to come along and start these sort of issues.

18. airsoftmaniacman

Baltimore
    I forgot the product name of what I was actually thinking of: iTouch. Though iPod would be a better comparison since the iTouch goes above the functions of an iPod.

But that's beside the point.

CYMA makes good products, for the price, but it still makes no sense to purchase the Cybergun CQBR when you can just find the unbranded CYMA CQBR for much less. Nor does it make sense to consider it a good item, since it is what it was meant to be, an ACM clone.

Then again, I've become a bit elitist when it comes to brands, so whatever.

It's like the old Echo1 marketing scheme. Take a JG, slap the Echo1 brand name on it, include a 30/60 day warranty, and sell it for 20% more.

19. Munishin

Goodyear
    That's where you lose me. Unbranded. I'll gladly pay $20-50 dollars more for proper trademarks. I have no problem with that practice. Manufacturer trademarks on the other hand...I hate them. 99% of airsoft companies logos are garbage imo. Would rather they all just used blank receivers.

20. airsoftmaniacman

Baltimore
    Why on earth would you pay $175 for a trademarked Colt CQBR when it is worth $150?

If you really want trademarks, you might as well spit up the $330 for an engraved trademarked CQBR instead of the painted (at worst) or laser engraved (at best) Cybergun version?