D-Boys SCAR Issues

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Cerveza, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Cerveza

Cerveza New Member

I got a DBoys SCAR from AirsoftGI's Mystery Box.

Gave it a quick test firing and it was shooting about 50 feet and feeding 1-8 bb's every time. Adjusting the hop up did nothing at all.

I disassembled the upper and checked out the hop up and found that the pivot piece was broken in 3 parts around the retaining pin hole.

So here I am, debating if I want to send it back to AirsoftGI on the approved RMA, or just buy a $20 hop up and fix it myself.

I feel confident that I can replace the hop up myself. I'd also like to put in a different bucking + nub when I do.

So I guess my question is - would the hop up cause the short distance + multiple bb problem? If there's more that could be wrong I'll just send it back and have it repaired.

I was told that since it had been shot, I'm not eligible for store credit. They would only repair/return the gun itself. They also provided me a shipping label so I won't be out any shipping cost.

So my choices are to either send it back and wait for the repair/return during the busiest mail time of the year.... or just order an entire hop up and replace it myself.

Thoughts?

2. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    it is possible and most likely that is your problem. with no hopup the rounds should only shoot about 60 feet before falling on the floor. without friction from teh hopup, bbs can just go into teh chamber as well. Get a new hopup, bucking and nub (I had good luck with madbull blue in my Echo1 SCAR) and get a 6.03 TBB. The factory barrel is a 6.08 and your shots are all over the place past 100ft.
    ASGI customer service has never been good to me so I would not send it back. I did once because I got the gun and it wouldnt fire because the wires were broken and then when they got it to fix it they told me that I broke the wire trying to take the gun apart and didnt want to fix it for free nor would they ship it back for free. It took me 3 months to finally get them to fix it and send it back...

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012

3. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    should be the hop up :)

if youre up for the challenge, it doesnt sounds like a crazy hard fix :)

im not 100% sure at the moment, but you might be able to fix the arm with some ingenuity and use some super glue lol.

if all else fails, just order a replacement scar hop up chamber, new bucking, and youll have a working gun :) if... the gearbox has no problems lol

4. Protectionperfection

Worcester
    It's a simple fix. 2 set screws and thats it after the external screws

5. LegacyAirsoft

LegacyAirsoft You can say I tech a little...

Massachusetts
    I have a DBoys scar as well and if u cannot fix it get this:

Echo1 SCAR hopup chamber
    Systema bucking (or madbul blue)
    Madbul 6.03 black python tbb
    Ur all set :)

6. Cerveza

Cerveza New Member

Thanks for the info guys. I tried the super glue route already, but it's broken into 3 pieces all around the retaining pin hole. There's really not enough material to hold it together any longer.

I'm just going to get a new hop up and fix it myself. I like the idea of replacing the bucking at the same time and adding a TBB. Looks like the consensus is Madbull Blue + Madbull 6.03 TBB. What about nub?

Oh, I remember seeing a site that showed how to put in a different M4 hop up by altering it with a dremel. Would that be worth looking into?

7. Protectionperfection

Worcester
    just use the factory hopup it works fine. I had the Madbull 6.03, madbull blue (it comes with a nub) and factory replacement hopup and I was hitting 120+ft accurately...

8. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    If you have spare hop ups laying around, just see what the difference in hop arm is lol. And adjust accordingly.

You can always cut your own out of plastic sheeting if you're up to it lol :)

9. Cerveza

Cerveza New Member

I could probably whittle the silly thing out :)

I appreciate all the inputs guys, really. I'll be ordering a replacement hop up + Madbull 6.03 TBB + Madbull blue bucking. Pretty cheap upgrade actually.

10. LegacyAirsoft

Massachusetts
    Sounds great, just make sure you order the right length barrel and you'll be all set!

11. Cerveza

Cerveza New Member

Just a follow up to finish this out.

Got the replacement hop up. It's plastic, compared to the metal one I took out. I've read about 50/50 on metal vs plastic. I'll run it for now and if there are problems, I'll just part it out into the metal housing.

Following the excellent suggestions posted above I got a Madbull 6.03, 407mm, Black Python version II. It's about 5" longer then stock and fits almost to the end of my mock suppressor. The shop didn't have the Madbull Blue bucking. I put in the clear one (comes with clear or black) and the H nub with it.

It's dark out so can't check the hop, but I definitely see it adjusting in the barrel now. I shot a few dozen rounds in the house and on semi I only got one bb at a time. Major improvement.

I'm hoping that with the upgrades I'll have a solid performing SCAR.

Thanks again for all the input, extremely helpful.

12. LegacyAirsoft

Massachusetts
    Glad we could help! Keep us posted