Airsoft Forum banner
301 - 320 of 342 Posts

· Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #302 ·
The ZCI shell has been a bit of a disappointment. Decent looks and casting, but the material is very soft. As I was swapping the bearings around for bushings, I realized that when pressing them in, the shell warped at the base - virtually making the shell unusable. This also removed the QD feature I wanted to take advantage of.

Then I got an idea...

I took my calipers, and a knife blade and measured out a rough outline of the back of the ZCI shell and drew it on the back of the JG shell. Once I got the outline looking about right, I took my dremel and carved an opening in the back of the gearbox shell roughly resembling that of the one on the ZCI. I also had to take the ZCI spring guide and file down the tabs ever so slightly so they would fit into the locking grooves in the JG shell. After about an hour of working, the opening was done and the spring guide sits and locks into place, and it also unlocks and is easily removable. Time will tell to see how long it holds as I had to remove a fair portion of material at the back and things seem thinner than I would like. All that is left to make it truly easy-access is to remove the "plate" at the rear of the lower receiver so I can access the spring guide when I fold the stock.

Other than the gearbox hiccup, things have progressed quite nicely. Electronics and drive train went in without issues and overall fitment is nice and snug. The rifle cycles very nicely - only a few issues with the M4 magwell conversion with loose seating and intermittent shots having low FPS. There are also a few gremlins lurking with the sensors on the electronics as there are times when the selector sensors don't register things and power cuts out. I also need to actually work on the barrel and hop group and not just throw things together.

Not too bad for an afternoons' work.

· Administrator
12,082 Posts
That is what an associate did in 2001. He carved out the back of a V2 G3 TM mechbox and put in a QD spring guide that he machined out.

· Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #304 ·
So far the QD mod is holding great. I removed the "plate" on the back of the lower so I can access the spring guide simply by folding the stock. No mess and no fuss whatsoever. At this point I'm just waiting for the CA glue on the Rhop patches to cure and dry before I sand them flush with the barrel. From there I'll prep and cut the nub and packing, install and work through testing.

I am tossing around the idea of re-working the drive train. For the first time I decided to go with standard ratio gears and a speed motor rather than my go-to of speed gears and torque motor. I'm still doing performance comparisons with other builds I have done and working out the math on things, but so far I'm not too impressed. I have the parts on-hand to swap things around if I want to, but before I do so I need to finish testing.

Ok-is pic of things so far:
Machine gun Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun

· Administrator
12,082 Posts
What are you using as a "Speed" motor?

· Administrator
12,082 Posts
I think their magnets are not as strong as a Tienly in that speed class.

· Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #308 ·
I think their magnets are not as strong as a Tienly in that speed class.
That may very well be the case.

This G36 is finished for the most part. There are still a few little quirks to work out - namely getting the M4 mag adapter to work 100%of the time. It's not the end of the world of it doesnt, but it would be nice so that I can keep mag compatibility between my SCAR and my teammates. The other little thing is to fix the FPS on it. It's shooting around 350 which is fine, but it's a tad too low for outdoor play. Other than that it's pretty well set. I am looking at changing the stock to something I can stuff a nice fat battery into, but that's not super high on the priority list at the moment.

It's a clean-looking rifle, no mess and very little fuss.
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Machine gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

· Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #309 ·
I went ahead and swapped around d a fee components in the G36; namely the gearset and motor armature. I swapped out the 18:1s for a set of 12:1s and the 14tpa arm for the OEM JG one - albeit its in the ASG can. RPS sits around 27 - the same as it was with the previous 18/14 setup. The key difference is it runs much, much cooler. I'm debating if I want to put an ~18ish tpa arm I have just to bump the rate of fire up a tad past 30 or so. Not that the fields I play at allow full auto, it would be one of those "nice things to have."

I did get the AR stock adapter fitted and modded for a shortened buffer tube and the EPS stock I kept from my previous ICS build,as well as solved the AR mag adapter feed issue. The wiring from my electronics is a tad shorter than I like for easy access, so I need to extend it. However as things sit, most of the quirks have been ironed out. All that is left is to dial in the hop up and maybe super fine-tune the settings on the mosfet.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know off the top of their head IF the ARES RIS hanguard would/could fit on a JG/TM? I know the specs are generally wonky between the two, but I'm not too sure if they extends to the handguards specifically; and the old Google isn't turning up too much.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Wood Gun barrel

· Registered
987 Posts
You don't say? I know PTS has the "G-Mags" that can be found here and there every so often. They aren't OG's, but I am curious to try them out.
Friend has the new batch for his KWA, they work very well. It was picky with other brand mags like Ares or UFC.

No clip-together nubs so they fit in normal mag pouches too

· Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #314 ·
I've been tinkering around with my G36 as of late; trying to get it looking exactly the way I want. The internal performance is there - it's the aethestetics that I'm focusing on now. Since finishing school and training I have an excess of free time that is not currently being eaten up by work or my current search for a place closer to work to live. I have found a few things that really intrigue me - a few front ends and a stock by SRC that *seems*to offer the best of both worlds in terms of functionality and battery space. I also have a few minor cosmetic items coming in from Korea for it.

@Guges Mk3 do you by chance have any 3S lipos that are roughly the same size as a 9.6v NiMh pack? (Smalller is ok - the discharge specs just have to be there for a mildly-upgraded AEG) I know you have Kypoms - I'm just not super familiar with the assortment of sizes you can obtain that may or may be listed on your sales thread.

I also may have found someone that is willing to trade quite the piece for the SCAR I have. We'll see how that goes if things end up going through. I've wanted an LMG for a little while now, and this particular one is made by a company that seems to fly under the radar when it comes to those.

· Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #317 ·
It's been a bit, but that doesn't mean I've been sitting by. The handguard for the G36 is on order. The should hopefully round out the last items to finish the externals for the most part.

I've also decided to try (keyword here) and DSG this thing. I did one in the past and it turned out great. ( 9t 10:1 Siegetek, Guarder SP160, 22tpa motor and a 300mm 6.02 barrel on an 11.1v lipo gave me ~385 fps on .20s and ~55 rps). But things are different this time. This go-around I'll be trying an 8t 18:1, Prommy M170 on a 370mm x 6.08 barrel. Motor can either be a 22 or 16tpa depending on ROF I get with each. RPS doesn't really matter,as long as it's at or above 40. The big thing here is getting as close to 1.5J on a .20g (~400fps) as I can. My research turns up numerous topics and threads of those who have done a 400+FPS DSG, the only issues being they usually don't specify what barrel they use. Anyone here who wants to chime in on this idea can do so; I'd welcome the comments.

My math says that I'd be undervolumed on this setup. Given that, I have a few things on-hand that should help alleviate this issue should it be one.

I recently acquired a G&P Mk46 LMG. The previous owner said the gearbox locked up and that he didn't know how to fix it, or had anyone local to hin that could. I traded the VFC SCAR-L I had built for it, as this was a golden opportunity to get my hands on an LMG and not have dish out some serious $$$ on one + the parts to get it working the way it should. The owner even included a complete spare G&P gearbox with it "for parts". Upon taking it apart, I found G&P's M140 motor and not the M120 I was expecting. I have a tendency to blow the M120 motors with relative ease so we'll see how long this one holds up. The culprit was a blown bevel bearing. G&P put 7mm bearings in a small brass sleeve in the 8mm slot and 8mm bearing elsewhere. Easy enough fix; I replaced the blown bearings with proper 8mm ones, cleaned and re-shimmed and greased things along with correcting the AOE with a faucet washer. I did not use sorbothane as it causes FPS variances in high rof setups.

I plugged in my battery into the box mag, and the mag into the LMG. The box mag is wired to run as the gun cycles - the battery powering both the mag and gun at the same time when the trigger is pulled. It's a super nice feature to have and it auto-stops when it's fully "wound". And the mag hold 3500 rounds.

It chronos at 1.65J and ~30 rps from the factory. The ROF is a tad high for most fields around me, as they more or less have a 25rps cap (which we all know some stock AEGs with a good battery can hit or surpass) so I may reduce it a tad. Other than that I plan on running it until something explodes. I'm curious to see how long it can go.

· Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #318 · (Edited)
The G36 lives. I'm still racking my brain as to exactly how, but I'll eventually figure that out. Ostensibly, it's a 20:1, 8t, SP170 DSG running a 370mm x 6.08mm inner barrel and a 16tpa motor. Rof is steady at around 39 rps and FPS is 372 +/- 3 on .20s. The best part is the el-cheapo Dboys G36 mags feed .28s flawlessly. The piston worries me a tad: the epoxy holding the rack in place failed and the piston body is cracked along the left rear guide rail. But it's still chugging along like a champ so I'll have to see how much longer it will go before it quits.

Overall it's really nothing too special on the outside. It looks like any other G36 - save for the stock and a few cosmetic details. It's a bit of a sleeper. Players oftentimes equate G36s (out here at least) to beginners and or those who like the some of the oddities the sport has to offer. It's exceptionally rare to see these out here, let alone have one that performs like this one does.

Video:

· Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #320 ·
301 - 320 of 342 Posts