DE Ump question.

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by TheFallenHero, Dec 29, 2012.

1. TheFallenHero

TheFallenHero New Member

I understand its a cheaper gun but its a clone of the G&G ump which does retail for $300+.

So my question is what for the externals is metal?

And is the Gearbox in it metal?

Also how do V3 gearboxes go for upgrading? Are they prone to breaking or?

I did search around and look around for an internal review of it on youtube and couldnt find one. Just curious if anyone could assist me. I do know its a cheaper gun.

Also if anyone knows anything of the H&K ump which is also below 200 feel free to answer the same questions above. I understand its a V3 gearbox but it uses a different mag then the G&G style ump. Just curious if its worth spending the extra 40 or 50 dollars to get the H&K version rather then the DE one.

The DE one also comes with a laser sight and a red dot which i assume are pretty much useless?

Links to the guns im referring too.

H&K Ump: http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=38323

DE Ump: http://www.airsplat.com/Items/ERM-DE-M89-UMP.htm

EDIT: I noticed they are closer in prices now. The orignal DE Ump i found didnt come with the laser sight and red dot but was out of stock. So i used a different store.

2. Flocktime

Flocktime New Member

NukeTown
    So let's see we know Double Eagle is a terrible brand. But the H&K UMP is S&T which is a decent brand. It is really all up to you if you want a Double Eagle or a S&T.

3. TheFallenHero

TheFallenHero New Member

I thought the H&K was an Umarex?

In any event is it worth it to pay 60 dollars more? If i bought the DE would it last a few months before i can upgrade or would it just not be accurate enough even for cqb?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  4. Flocktime

Flocktime New Member

NukeTown
  5. TheFallenHero

TheFallenHero New Member

Ah i see now. Makes sense. For the internals though. Think its a metal gearbox?

Also from what i can tell. There is no mid or low caps for the ump made by H&K. Just hi caps.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  6. Flocktime

Flocktime New Member

NukeTown
    S&T has truly created one of the most versatile full metal Version 3 gearboxes on the market, with an integrated quick change spring design, as well as upgraded and reinforced internal components. The quick change spring option allows the player to easily swap out different power AEG springs, all without ever removing the gearbox

7. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
    Haven't dealt with internals, but the externals of the DE are fine also comes with a stock metal hop up and a functioning bolt catch, although high caps for the thing suck.

Also double checking later but I think the DE came out before G&G so it's not a clone.

8. Flocktime

Flocktime New Member

NukeTown
  9. TheFallenHero

TheFallenHero New Member

10. marine121496

Ann Arbor
  11. Flocktime

Flocktime New Member

NukeTown
    Seems like there are no options for UMPs, too bad.

12. marine121496

Ann Arbor
    Erm, or you could get mid caps for the DE....

13. TheFallenHero

TheFallenHero New Member

Indeed you can. Define suck though. Like how bad are we talkin here lol?

14. marine121496

Ann Arbor
    Meh I mean, first off the winding wheel is tiny, you wind the other way, and I was never able to get more than around 25-30 shots off without having to rewind.

15. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Moderator Staff Member

Pierce County
    I have had both the G&G and DE UMPs.

To clear up some misinformation, yes the hi caps require constant winding, but that is due to the small diameter coil spring. The same is true for MP5, Thompson, Uzi, and Mac-10 AEP magazines. It's a design limitation.
    I had no problems with the different direction of the winding, although the DE mags with the white knobs were much more prone to unwind during use than the black wheeled DE mags. My six G&G UMG Hi Caps were flawless and never had a feeding issue.

The DE internals are typical ACM Clone quality, but it is a standard V3 gearbox and all V3 components and upgrades for the G&G UMG will fit and function in the DE. The V3 gearbox is one of the most robust gearbox designs there is, so it should handle considerable upgrading. The weak spot is generally the motor cage, but those are relatively easy to source and replace if necessary.

The 1 piece hop up on the DE is indeed metal and is of acceptable quality, but the stock bucking is crap and should be replaced.

G&G came out long before the DE M89, so the M89 is definately a clone (I had one of the first DE's in the US when it came out in May of 2007).

From what I have read in reviews, the S&T UMP is based off the Star/Ares UMP, and therefore is likely not compatible with the G&G magazine design.

16. Col1500

Col1500 New Member

Kent
    The DE isn't actually that bad. I have a friend who has one and is trying to sell it (leonandlein is his username on here) and I used it, and it's pretty impressive for DE. It has a nice sound to it, I don't hear any odd noises like I would expect. The thing has pretty bad accuracy, but that's easy to fix and is expected. It feels sort of cheap, but it's like a JG plastic body, not a well or crossman body lol.

17. weaps

weaps Active Member

Brunswick
    I've had 3 DE umps over the years and all have served me well. They disassemble quickly and are extremely quiet shooting. Metal bushings, re-grease, re-shim, and properly seal all air components and your good. You can upgrade the spring but in doing so, go with a better motor. It takes stick lipos very handily when the battery tray is removed.

18. FUBARSNAFU

FUBARSNAFU New Member

I would go for HK(S&T) they were Star who OEM'd for ARES so you know they are quality they also hold a lot… and I mean tons… of licensing rights so your almost guaranteed proper trade marks.

Yes the DE is cheaper and yes it works… after a few tweaks… but externally it's just so… tacky…

Yeah G&G are ridiculously expensive they go for roughly 500USD here in Ireland only know of two people in the whole country who one and the only retailer who stocks them have had 25 for the last 18months with absolutely no enquiry about because their so friggen expensive