Deans conectors

Discussion in 'General Accessory Discussion' started by alek9952, Nov 7, 2012.

1. alek9952

alek9952 New Member

I a newbasaurus-rex and was looking into getting a 11.1v lipo.... But it has a deans connector i am able to purchase a converter but am curious what the deans connector does..... Help?

2. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
    They're just different connectors you can solder a set of deans onto your gun after cutting off your tamiyas (I assume?) then just plug it in like that, alternatively evike sells tamiya to dean converters for like 4 bucks and NJ does for like 4 bucks shipped.

3. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    Don't buy a converter. It creates more resistance. Just get your local shop to change your gun over or if you can solder do it yourself. It's not hard to do...

4. blue2014

blue2014 New Member

It's so simple to just change connectors.

5. Robin-Hood

Robin-Hood New Member

Inverness
    They are lower resistance and can handle much higher power than Tamiyas. Tamiya connectors are so bad, they should never be used, ever. There is no excuse it takes literally 5 minutes to chop off a tamiya and solder on a deans.

6. Fyzix

Fyzix Fyzzy Was Here. Supporting Member

Garland
    Don't they also slightly improve trigger response?

7. Axis

Axis New Member Supporting Member

Yes, they do. I would recommend installing Deans connectors, as well. They can be nothing but beneficial. Make sure to look up some videos on soldering and installing the Deans as well before having a go at it. Also, make sure to never cut both wires at the same time. That is dangerous.

8. alek9952

alek9952 New Member

How are the connectors beneficial, and how do they differ than the tamiya

9. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
    I think I see where you're coming from, but I don't see how that would be dangerous unless for some reason you have a battery plugged in while cutting wires.

10. Njnewland

Njnewland New Member Lifetime Supporter

Cherryville
    They have less resistance. You will get slightly better trigger response and ROF.

They are shaped differently and kinda connect differently.

As Marine said, I sell the connector adapters for $4 shipped. I also install them for $1 per connector (if you want the connector as well, that's $1 more), but you have to pay for shipping both ways.

If interested in that, send me a PM.

11. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    the difference is the amperage they can handle. tamiya doesn't have the higher rate amp load as deans and will eventually burn up over time. sometimes earlier when the connectors get loose. Deans have a spring load that prevent it from loosening up.

i hope you understand that 11.1v will increase the stress on your gearbox. it will require AOE correction, bevel/pinion shimming and strong gears. stock motors will not last long.

12. The Fox

The Fox New Member

A little village in Europe
    Why do you want to use an 11.1v? Higher RoF? For starters, get your shimming and cut off lever right and you will gain a lot.

And sorry, but I do not wish to jump on that bandwagon here.

7.4v 1200mah 15c battery in the same AEG:

DE=23 RPS
    TA=22 RPS

DE= 22RPS
    TA= 22RPS

DE= 23RPS
    TA= 23RPS

DE= 22RPS
    TA= 21RPS

DE= 23RPS
    TA= 22RPS

The difference is negligable and not worth the change, there are better ways to gain RoF. A Lipo has a lower internal resistance, and delivers more power because of it. The only thing that may any effect on resistance is the material, but then, the contacts are really small, just look at a wago.
    Most people I know change to Deans because they gain space in their gun with them and that is usually their only reason for the change. Some stick to Tamiya's because just the majority of the players have them and it allows the use of batteries from friends when yours is empty.

I stick to Tamiya's because they give better protection against the 'elements' and I cant be bothered with changing all those connectors for no/little gain.

End of my story; I know plenty of people who use Tamiya's who are happy with those(including me) and I know plenty of people who use Deans who swear by those. If you want to change, you can but you dont have to.
    And; If Tamiya's were really that bad, they wouldnt be used in stock (quality) AEGs.

13. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    true story: i've replaced at least 5 melted tamiya connectors on AEG's where the battery was upgraded to 9.6v, more so on LiPo's.

since the OP wants to go LiPo, using tamiya's is very dangerous. wiring (including connectors) are like fuses, if they don't match your amp load, they will melt down.

there are different quality tamiya's. the cheaper ones loosens up easily and melts down. there are higher quality tamiya's that already come on LiPo's. unfortunately, the ones on the AEG's are not as good quality. unfortunately, they are not rated for high amp loads.

14. The Fox

The Fox New Member

Very much possible, but dropping an 11.1v into an AEG without some propper modding is going to destroy more than a connector.
    I run 9.6v and 7.4 LiPo's aswell, never had any problem with Tamiya's. The Tamiya itself isnt bad, the quality of certain Tamiya's is and that is one thing I wanted to make clear.

Thus the question is still what he means to gain with that battery, if its RoF, there are better options.

15. Axis

Axis New Member Supporting Member

They provide less electrical resistance than Tamiya connectors. Tamiya connectors can also break off if you pull on them hard enough. Same goes with Deans I suppose, but you can solder them back on easily.
    Negative wire + Positive wire = Electrical shock

16. alek9952

alek9952 New Member

All of you guys thank you, a lot of you made me change my mind about the 11.1v but i think i will be looking for a 9.6v lipo because in my gun now i have a regular 9.6v 1600 milliamp battery... And as for the deans i will go to my local shop and they will do it while im watching so i may see how it is done

17. The Fox

The Fox New Member

Can I do facepalm pictures here? Because it would really be in place here.

Oh nvm,
    A 9.6v Lipo is more powerful than an old 9.6v, so unless its a high end gun, dont do it and stick to a 7.4v lipo, which is about equal to old 9.6v's.

18. Rocky

Rocky New Member

Superior
    Yeah i'd run a 7.4v lipo,You'll get about the same rof as a 9.6v nimh!

19. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    considering the size, cost and amperage, 7.4v is superior to 9.6v.
    9.6v struggles to pull an m150 on stock JG m4's. 7.4v has no problems.

given the same mAH rating, 9.6v will have a slighter increase in ROF, but 7.4v lasts longer with a steadier discharge.

20. alek9952

alek9952 New Member

Alright, that doesn't sound bad i could revert things to a more milsim kind of approach hence the lower rpm