decreasing FPS

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by Defcon5, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Defcon5

Defcon5 New Member

Hey guys, quick question.

I plan on getting the KJW M9 Government Edition. On websites, it says it shoots 300-340. But alot of reviews say 350+. So my question for you guys is this. Is it possible to lower FPS besides buying heaver BBs? If so, what is it?

2. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    heavier bbs doesnt change the joule rating which is what the FPS limits are set to. it just changes the speed. it still hits the same and is considered cheating because your cheating the chrono... most guns, especially gas pistols dont need to be chronod because they dont over shoot cqb limits... 400 with .20 is indoor limit here... find out what your limit is at your field.
    You should be all set with a pistol unless its CO2 or shoots over 400 FPS with a .20

3. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
    Someone else should chime in here, but I believe that in Japan duster gas is used reduce FPS, not too sure on details but you may want to look into it.

4. Defcon5

Defcon5 New Member

FPS limit at my field is 350 for pistols.

5. Squirrel8811

Squirrel8811 New Member

My airsoft store here owns the cqb fields here and they downgrade by doing a spring change or spring clip to get it cqb legal.

6. Finalencounter

Finalencounter Duke of Penguins Supporting Member

Warrenton
    Doesn't apply to gas guns though. Only AEGs.

Like marine said, look into the duster gas.

7. Defcon5

Defcon5 New Member

Ok. I'll take a look.

8. Protectionperfection

Worcester
    Your field chronos gas pistols? That's news to me...

9. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    We always chrono Non-Blowback Gas Pistols.
    Easy upgrades to shoot over 400 fps. TM Socom's, Digicon Brand, Revolvers, etc

Don't need to chrono many of the GBB pistols out there today...., unless they have installed a longer inner barrel, red gas, or are using C02.
    VSR Capa's, KWC CO2, MP7's, etc...

10. Defcon5

Defcon5 New Member

Well the reason they crono the GBB pistols is because there isn't an engagement distance for pistols/shotguns. So they have to shoot under 350fps with .20s.

11. Squirrel8811

Squirrel8811 New Member

Oh my bad. Guess I should have looked at the gun first.

12. Protectionperfection

Worcester
    yeah i know that, Ive just never heard of any fields needing to chrono with a green gas pistol around here.. Only if they run CO2.. Must just be up here then...
    Spring shotguns are the same, no chrono needed, but gas shotguns need to chrono with 1 bb

13. Defcon5

Defcon5 New Member

They make us crono spring shotguns as well.

14. Protectionperfection

Worcester
    wow that sucks! haha well good luck then. only thing I can think of is half gas it...

15. Finalencounter

Finalencounter Duke of Penguins Supporting Member

Warrenton
    I don't think that decreases FPS, just shots able to be fired.

16. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    Our field will chrono no matter what. 400 fps and under for AEG, GBB, GNBB

Spring sniper is 500 fps.

That's a little dangerous to not chrono certain guns. Nothing goes on the field without a tag. I don't care. Safety comes first. And I want no problems.

A TM Socom GNBB with a extended barrel to the tip of the silencer will hit 450-470 fps on propane without a modified hammer spring.
    Upgraded hammer spring will hit 500+ fps.
    Upgraded Hi-flow valve will be even higher....
    Upgrade to a tight bore to the end of the silencer will be more.
    And so on... Can be very dangerous.

A Tanaka M500 revolver (long) will chrono 470-500 fps on green gas. Without hammer modification.

Marushin Raging Bull, modified hammer spring, on green gas will shoot 420 fps on .23 8mm bb's

Marushin Detonics, extended inner barrel. Green gas. 440 fps on a .34 8mm. Dangerous.

Digicon Straight Custom 7in. No mod. 450 fps on green gas.

KJ Works Ruger .22 cal (and gemtech), 420 fps no mod. Hammer spring mod is 480 fps.
    Extended inner barrel can exceed 550 fps w/o hammer spring mod. 600+ fps with mod.

There are many many many more...

17. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member

If your barrel is threaded, Marui makes a "Velocity Reducer".....I'm not sure how effective it is though.