Designated marksman loadout help

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by samoneal101, Sep 29, 2012.

1. samoneal101

samoneal101 New Member

Hey y'all, so I have a question. I wish to be the (a) DM but am a little confused about the loadout. I have searched countless sites on how to be one, but each gives their own ideas about what a DM should have on their person. One says battle belt rig, one says vest and belt, and another says belt and gillie suit. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what they use? Thanks

2. Havok17

Havok17 New Member

Chicago
    Don't use a ghille suit, they are not the best and you will stick out. But first off, do you have a DMR?

3. Shiftyshooter

Shiftyshooter Learn from your mistakes. Lifetime Supporter

Prague
    What you carry depends fully on you and on what you feel comfortable using.

4. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    +1 Shifty

I run the DM role every so often, and honestly the only thing different between it and my usual rifleman load out is the mag pouch-type and placement of my pistol.
    Keep in mind a DM is basically just a rifleman with a long ranged rifle. You still run with a standard squad.

If you're gonna go ghillie, keep it light. I sometimes even add (or swap out my pistol for) a small SMG to my loadout when I know there's indoor or cqb type engagement distances.

Just add/remove what you feel comfortable with.

5. samoneal101

samoneal101 New Member

Thanks for the replies. @havok I have an upgraded JG G36C (my baby lol). Would digital cam BDU, a battle belt rig, and a hood work? I seem to be sent off to scout a lot lately. Well it could just be that no wants be around but anyways

6. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    Camo color/type is up to you and the area of which you play in.

I personally prefer belt systems. They're lightweight and extremely useful when you're prone.
    Here's my current loadout (minus comms): [​IMG]
    What you can't see is the backpack.

My left side has 3 mags, right side has 6 mags as well as 4 pistol mags.
    Pistol on my right leg
    I also have a hood that I break out every so often for recon.
    But keep in mind, I play in Florida, so my camo is darker to match the dark brush and shadows.

7. Edonkulation

Edonkulation New Member

Vinton
    Read lots of the "sniper 101" posts, while they don't adhere directly to your role, the good reading will give you a bit of knowledge to use even as a designated marksman. Also be sure to stick with your squad, a DM out by himself in no mans land behind enemy lines tends to be in a bad situation. Communicate well with your squad, you tell them whats coming, they tell you what they can't hit. Be sure to have a keen eye for spots of cover that will keep you out of the way of the main firefight especially when flanking, if you can cover your squads butts by keeping the enemies heads down, do so. If you REALLY want to mess with peoples heads (and still be able to stick with your squad) have a plan where yourself or yourself and another DM break off and flank (knowledge of adequate covers helps, especially if it can be used to both conceal, protect, and be used as a stableized firing position) to take shots from the sides of your intended targets. If the poo hits the fan, be able to fend for yourself as well, it kind of contradicts what a DM should be capable of, but if you can use basic field craft and stealth tactics, you can rejoin another squad or hold out long enough for your original squad to respawn. By doing this, you will also make life a bit easier in the future, especially if you can either repel, or seriously confuse the enemy formation. Lastly, only carry what you need, if you're rocking a plate carrier, keep the accessories to a minimum, you shouldn't be burning through a 300 round hi-cap magazine in one engagement, therefore, there isn't much need to carry 100 mags of any sort, if your rifle has full automatic capabilities, use them sparingly, if at all, let your squadmates do the brunt of the work, focus on targets that are out of the standard weapons range, or focus on communicating on incoming tangos. Lastly, don't be a tard, if youre lugging around a DMR (some of which can be rather large and cumbersome) don't go rushing a pillbox, that's a job for some kid fresh off of COD. Be patient, keep your wits about you, and be smart.

8. Havok17

Havok17 New Member

Chicago
    If he plays on a field with a DMR he wouldn't be allowed to use it if it had full auto capabilities because majority of the time DMs are above 400 FPS and fields would not let him use it due to the full auto.

9. Edonkulation

Edonkulation New Member

Vinton
    I mentioned that, because some places don't have restrictions on what capabilities your weapon would have (they usually tend to be pick up games of varying size however.) Should OP decide to go to more sophisticated games then yes, have full auto disabled. However, from what I read, I kinda just based what I said off of what he may already have, considering if he has a long barreled weapon, it wouldn't take too much to upgrade it to a DMR. For the time being, he could parhaps practice with the basic weapon till he saves up the money for the upgrades/build and is absolutely sure he wants to dedicate the time and effort to become a good DM.